Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

200 for Gayle. Hopefully this is his big knock of the tournament.

So long as he do not repeat this against us.  If we lose against WI and Pakistan were toast.  This knock would have given him some confidence.  SA should take note of it.  He did it against us before in the WC, on our home turf.

Edited by Moridin

So long as he do not repeat this against us.  If we lose against WI and Pakistan were toast.  This knock would have given him some confidence.  SA should take note of it.  He did it against us before in the WC, on our home turf.

we do not have a good track record against the windies at WC

Its a tough one. Cricket in essence was a gentlemen's pastime that migrated over the decades into a highly competitive and lucrative sport. Filling up stadiums is as important as TV schedules. The reason Aus, England and India are now the big three is because of their ability to fill stadiums and sell TV rights when they compete, not because they are necessarily the best in the game, so commercial sense will always precede aspirations for a fairer contest. 

The basic concepts of cricket namely the toss, playing out a long innings before changing from batting to fielding, the cricket ball losing condition quickly, pitches degenerating, etc. is not meant to be fair, but to test different skills at different times. The toss alone plays a role, but to make it fair, sides should probably bat in 10 over innings, change over from batting to fielding, bowl the next 10, and change over again (like a baseball play). I don't know if I would like to watch that, maybe it should be given a go and lets see what happens?

Another option is to handicap the side that wins the toss somehow. If they bat first, deduct 10%, if they bowl first, add 10% to the side that lost the toss and batted. Now this handicap differs from ground to ground and with varying conditions on the day or seasonal (dew for instance) changes. It is very difficult to take all the factors into account to calculate the handicap.

Perhaps the fairest system is one where the World Cup becomes a World Championship or league where sides play each other home and away and at the end of the series they either win based on a log standing, or they play a final where the inequalities will come to the fore again. 

Perhaps we should just abide by the fact that cricket is not designed to create an even playing field. 

that would remove one of the greatest skills of a batsmen...getting in..and staying in

SA vs Windies

The Vern to be rested.

Time for support bowlers to take a step up.

Hopefully the top order will fire and build those crucial partnerships and not leak too much pressure on the middle and lower order.

The Windies will be fired up after the Gayle storm against Zim.

GO BLOMMETJIES

SA vs Windies

The Vern to be rested.

Time for support bowlers to take a step up.

Hopefully the top order will fire and build those crucial partnerships and not leak too much pressure on the middle and lower order.

The Windies will be fired up after the Gayle storm against Zim.

GO BLOMMETJIES

Lets just hope that they don't try and hedge their bets and play BOTH Parnell and Behardien. I'd actually be inclined to give Phangiso a go instead of Vern, and play the extra batsman instead of an All Rounder. The 5th bowler's overs would then be made up of a combo of JP, Rossouw and AB. PS, I think JP is good enough to be an outright 5th bowler, but an over or 2 from AB and / or Rossouw will give us a few options in the middle overs. 

My Starting 11 would be:

1.QdK

2. #

3. Faf

4. AB

5. Rilee

6. Miller

7. JP

8. Dale

9. Morkel

10. Phangiso

11. Tahir

I don't think we need to worry about chris gayle...he was always going to fire eventually, if anything with the short turnaround he's probably not going to recover intime for the game to be 100% - the oke is a walking back injury. needless to say, if we don't have a massive mental edge over them now after bossing them all summer(ok, bar the T20s), then we never will.

I'm a bit miffed that we don't have our squad settled. quite a few places up in the air and we are trying things that should have been sorted out by last november when we were on tour. one thing i'm pretty certain of, if ryan maclaren was in the squad he'd be in the starting XI on friday - through the investment in him away way too easily.

Starting to think with martin crowe, maccullum, fleming all being ex kiwi captains that they should really have the best coaches. Always punching above their weight, imagine what they could do with better resources?

I also hopes he reads this letter to him. 

https://medium.com/@nicrosslee/it-s-time-to-admit-that-ab-de-villiers-should-be-a-better-bowler-b5ab981e2488

2nd SF: Australia v South Africa at Birmingham - Jun 17, 1999

Australia 213 (49.2/50 ov); South Africa 213 (49.4/50 ov)

Match tied

Scorecard | Commentary | Article index (9) | Photo index (9)

Every proteas cricket fan remembers this one, it’s hard to forget a dagger going through your heart. I’m not going to rehash it too much, save for a few observations that come with the passing of time(which incidentally doesn’t seem to heal all wounds).

* that loss to Zim, ended up being crucial in the grand scheme of things

* we actually tied this match, didn’t lose it. We would tie another world cup semifinal with australia in 1999, which was settle with a Stephen Larkham woer woer dropkick.

* we actually came into this tournament with a few new faces, Kallis and Pollock being two of them who had both being playing one day cricket for a grand total of a month. Surely the timing here was quite crucial.

* we relied heavily on Klusener to continually drag us out of the crap. He got 4 man of the match awards, from 9 games, that is madness. He was duly given player of the tournament, and his forlorn figure accepting the award at the final showed that he didn’t really give a crap because we had let this one slip.

*Pollock came in at 7, klusener at 8. (he did get 20 off 14, but clearly we needed Zulu in earlier)

* kallis, pollie and AD bowled 29.2 overs, and got 95 for all 10 wickets (3.2 rpo). Elworthy and zulu combined went at 5.7 rpo for 19 overs. Mark Waugh bowled just 1 over in the whole tournament prior to this game, he went for 37 off his 8 overs here – mostly due to the pressure from warne.

*they got three runouts, but it was Shane Warnes 4/29 off his 10 that set this victory up. We were cruising along at 44/0 before he got out gibbs, kirsy and hansie to his wizardry. He’s a freak the likes of we’ll probably never see again. The generation of aussie kids growing up watching him haven’t produced anything close.

*you can add the cullinan run out to warne’s list – DC was on 6 off 30, kallis 2 off 17 at the time, pressure was mounting. We went from 48/0 from 12 overs to 72/4 off 26 overs. The required run rate was by now 6 an over, and peaked at 8.83(then klusener came in)

We were ahead of the game starting off – look and see where warne pegs it back from the very early stage of the 12th over

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65233.html?view=wormchart

That final over. 9 to win. Zulu starts with 2 fours. All over bar the shouting?

End of over 49 (9 runs) South Africa 205/9 (9 runs required from 6 balls, RR: 4.18, RRR: 9.00)

·        

o    L Klusener23 (12b 2x4 1x6)

o    AA Donald0 (0b)

·        

o    GD McGrath10-0-51-1

o   

Fleming to Klusener, FOUR, stepping back and driving the covers, amazing stuff, can he do it yet again, McGrath pitching up from around the wicket

5 runs needed off 5 balls

Fleming to Klusener, FOUR, driving thru the wide long off, and again, too wide of Mark Waugh in the deep

scores are tied, Australia will go to the final if the match remains this way all 11 in the infield

Fleming to Klusener, no run, pulled down the wicket, to the mid on, Lehmann with the run out chance, Donald too far backing up

direct would have been out

Fleming to Klusener, OUT, run out gone, Australia have done it

AA Donald run out 0 (7m 0b 0x4 0x6) SR: -

I'm going to have a heart failure ball was pulled down the wicket, Klusener called him thru, Donald didn't move and then dropped his bat, both batsmen at the bowler's end, mid off passes it to Fleming who passes to Gilchrist, Donald running down the pitch without his bat, well short just a tad of an exciting match, it's tied, Australia go thru because they finish higher in the super 6 table first tie in World Cup history, and surely the most exciting, the last few overs provided drama after drama after drama sensational, amazing, astounding, whatever, make your own superlatives up presentations comign up Cronje looks lost for words, devestated: "up to the fall of the 1st wicket, we were looking good", poor guy he can barely speak, MC wraps it up quickly Steve Waugh says "it's the most exciting match he's ever played in", looks a little underwhelmed, sensibly knows the final is still to come Man of the match is Shane Warne, mentions how "fired up" and "pumped" he was after the wickets... 

there's lots of this on youtube, if you've got the masochist in you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugh2D-2MRsM

UAE not playing badly.  Ireland not easy either but they are matching them.  This one will be tight. SA will do well to not write either off as a walkover.

Edited by Moridin

UAE not playing badly.  Ireland not easy either but they are matching them.  This one will be tight. SA will do well to not write either off as a walkover.

Ireland will do well from here to square this one, evebn thought they're ahead the closing 15 from uae was quite impressive

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/engine/match/656429.html

The success of the UAE team should be refreshing to the UN, not common to see Indians and pakistanis working together so hard on a common goal (with the odd sri lankan).

Edited by Shebeen

Lets just hope that they don't try and hedge their bets and play BOTH Parnell and Behardien. I'd actually be inclined to give Phangiso a go instead of Vern, and play the extra batsman instead of an All Rounder. The 5th bowler's overs would then be made up of a combo of JP, Rossouw and AB. PS, I think JP is good enough to be an outright 5th bowler, but an over or 2 from AB and / or Rossouw will give us a few options in the middle overs. 

My Starting 11 would be:

1.QdK

2. #

3. Faf

4. AB

5. Rilee

6. Miller

7. JP

8. Dale

9. Morkel

10. Phangiso

11. Tahir

Dont move Miller..he is making that 5 spot his own...himself and AB were the only ones looking good against india...he has proven that he can excel at 5 

10 off 12 now, with two wickets in hand. ireland have chased this very well, but i suppose a 24 ball fifty always makes your timing look good

This game shows that even with lower end teams you just cannot bowl length at the death, but it seems some fast bowlers carry a chip on their shoulders in that they think a fast ball will always do the trick.

That Javed is a very talented cricketer, and could easily carry his weight in a top team.