Cricket......

E1A104

Here are the u19 world cup teams, I think you’ll find that it’s looking more and more ‘black’ as you go along. Whether this translates to national representation is another thing that only time will tell.

From an outsider's point of view, I'd suggest it does not translate into faces other than white ones getting a look in at the National team.

I don't recognise a lot of names in the list you posted (and I may be completely off track - I didn't even know Charl Langevelt was non-white) but it seems it is ten years ago exactly since a non-white player stepped up from U19 to the Nat squad.

I'd say so called transformation is going backwards. Maybe that's why the new push to get different colours into the domestic leagues?

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused I thought your point was the team should represent the demographic? But failed to respond to he question posed to you regarding lets say Bafana Bafana or does it only work the one way? or it transformation selective?

*the limitations of key board comms*

My point is that no black representative in a national side in a country with SA's demographic does reflect poorly on the processes within CSA or its allied provinces.

I agree with you that there are cultural preferences where some groups prefer some sports over others. These can be generalised but with caution to not be prejudice.

I am done explaining now.

I know, clearly, both of us love the game of cricket.

Edited by ' Dale

From an outsider's point of view, I'd suggest it does not translate into faces other than white ones getting a look in at the National team.

I don't recognise a lot of names in the list you posted (and I may be completely off track - I didn't even know Charl Langevelt was non-white) but it seems it is ten years ago exactly since a non-white player stepped up from U19 to the Nat squad.

I'd say so called transformation is going backwards. Maybe that's why the new push to get different colours into the domestic leagues?

One also needs to take into account the have been some real main stays in the cricket side which have not paved the way for some of the names in the list (of any ethnicity) Many of which we could agree would get into lesser teams. It is the same way in countries like India and Aus. We are number one in the world which means some of the best players for the rest of thr world might not get into that/this specific.

There were some guys who got a look in those careers were tailended thought injury. Ngam, Zonde come to mind. But that is also the case for guys like Brett Schultz and many other sports people.

With Cricket, unlike many other sports, the stats back many of the decision for the inclusion or exclusion of players.

Gibbs was also non white ... :whistling:

*the limitations of key board comms*

My point is that no black representative in a national side in a country with SA's demographic does reflect poorly on the processes within CSA or its allied provinces.

I agree with you that there are cultural preferences where some groups prefer some sports over others. These can be generalised but with caution to not be prejudice.

I am done explaining now.

I know, clearly, both of us love the game of cricket.

We dont like it, we love it

http://www.espncrici...ory/709685.html

It seems that all is not well at the Lions. I guess we'll have to wait for Alviro's book to be published one day before knowing what went down in that change room in Newlands...

Perhaps being dictated to regarding selection wasn't his cup of tea ... it would be ironic for a non white Captain to resign over quotas (if indeed that was the case)

here's an update saying a lot without saying anything really

http://www.espncrici...ory/709841.html

I'd be very p!ssed as a captain if a selector wanted to tell me how to captain my team.

How are you reading it?

Power struggle within the team? To many cooks in the kitchen?

Alviro has always come across as a very level headed and calm person (I don't know him from Adam) so something must have riled im a lot to throw away the captaincy before a match. He is a national player who respects the game ... weird

How are you reading it?

Power struggle within the team? To many cooks in the kitchen?

Alviro has always come across as a very level headed and calm person (I don't know him from Adam) so something must have riled im a lot to throw away the captaincy before a match. He is a national player who respects the game ... weird

It seems like Hussain Mannack was getting involved with either the picking of the playing 11 or with on-field decisions and Alviro took exception. He stood down as captain which meant that Tsolikile had to come into the side with Hardus Viljoen missing out. If I recall Mannack is a national selector as well, so this may have been a suicidal move from Alviro. It is interesting that MacKensie did not take the captaincy over for the day. They would still have been able to play Viljoen and let De Kock keep. I wonder what else is brewing in the Lions camp.

On a different note:

The Aussies surprised friend and foe when they beat England today after England had them at 244/9 chasing 301 to win the game. The last wicket partnership yielded 57 runs from 27 balls with Faulkner (no 9 batsman) scoring a match-winning 69 of 47 balls. I am eagerly awaiting the Aussies next month as I think this is going to be a very stern test to our boys. These Aussies doesn't seem to know when to quit.

It seems like Hussain Mannack was getting involved with either the picking of the playing 11 or with on-field decisions and Alviro took exception. He stood down as captain which meant that Tsolikile had to come into the side with Hardus Viljoen missing out. If I recall Mannack is a national selector as well, so this may have been a suicidal move from Alviro. It is interesting that MacKensie did not take the captaincy over for the day. They would still have been able to play Viljoen and let De Kock keep. I wonder what else is brewing in the Lions camp.

Fortunately for him there is a panel for the national side. Interesting that Thami might not have made the side but gets elevated to Capt.

I think NMcK said he didn't want to be Capt a while ago so was probably a non starter but don't see how someone who isn't an automatic selection could be Capt.

On a different note:

The Aussies surprised friend and foe when they beat England today after England had them at 244/9 chasing 301 to win the game. The last wicket partnership yielded 57 runs from 27 balls with Faulkner (no 9 batsman) scoring a match-winning 69 of 47 balls. I am eagerly awaiting the Aussies next month as I think this is going to be a very stern test to our boys. These Aussies doesn't seem to know when to quit.

I wonder what Mickey Arthur has to say now?

I wonder what Mickey Arthur has to say now?

He would say it was from the structure he put into place which are bearing fruit now :clap:

Jokes aside I get the sense that the players did really buy into him - its basically the same team but lets see how they get along outside of Aus before saying they are a force once again