Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in meetings this morning - Did i miss something??

oh ok - its related to the india game ...well they can avoid it...but its a stupid rule to enforce in a world cup...find some other means of penalising the team - even if its reduced score for the opposing team to chase ON the DAY

not being able to bowl out UAE is a problem, i don't care how flat the track is

That's because the real Dale Steyn is MIA. We desperately need the leader of our bowling attack back.

not being able to bowl out UAE is a problem, i don't care how flat the track is

UAE never intended to make a game out of this. If they did, they would have batted first. I wonder if they were just dead-set on limiting our opportunities to chase a score. They are batting as if they are saving a test match and we seem to be happy to just get through the remaining overs without too much incident. Game over and questions answered ito the knock-outs?

Especially since JP and Farhaan haven't really come good with the ball. Two wickets for AB again. Handy bowling and helps get through those ten overs without much fuss.

The fact tha AB is seen as a bowling option just points to how badly our planning has gone for this tournament.

Before this tournament had started he'd bowled a grand total of 16 overs in 179 matches. he's bowled about 20 overs in 210 list A (ie provincial  momentum one day cup).

even rilee and faf have bowled in this tournament...they're that clueless about the fifth bowler options.

oh ok - its related to the india game ...well they can avoid it...but its a stupid rule to enforce in a world cup...find some other means of penalising the team - even if its reduced score for the opposing team to chase ON the DAY

ja, it's a dumb rule.sri lanka circumvented it at the T20 world cup last year by making malinga take the toss as 'captain' just so sangakara couldn't get sanctioned. they closed that loophole.

BUT then you start getting batsmen timewasting and it becomes a grey area on what you count. They tried it in the 2003 world cup - for instance we lost an over for bowling slowly against the WIndies(but then they bowled even SLOWER, with no penalty)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65235.html

Edited by Shebeen

The fact tha AB is seen as a bowling option just points to how badly our planning has gone for this tournament.

Before this tournament had started he'd bowled a grand total of 16 overs in 179 matches. he's bowled about 20 overs in 210 list A (ie provincial momentum one day cup).

even rilee and faf have bowled in this tournament...they're that clueless about the fifth bowler options.

Nailing my gripe about the squad. We're short a proper allrounder. So far it isn't hurting us too bad ito results but it is hurting our balance wrt the teams being selected and who needs to do fifth bowler duty. If we lose our 1/4 against SL it'll be because of this issue.

Edit: Not overly unhappy as his bowling has rather useful, certainly better than Farhaan's.

Edited by Mntboy

Nailing my gripe about the squad. We're short a proper allrounder. So far it isn't hurting us too bad ito results but it is hurting our balance wrt the teams being selected and who needs to do fifth bowler duty. If we lose our 1/4 against SL it'll be because of this issue.

Edit: Not overly unhappy as his bowling has rather useful, certainly better than Farhaan's.

The allrounder issue is not a squad issue, but a player pool issue. We don't have any proper all rounders. MacLaren averages less than 20 with the bat in ODI's, Ontong hardly bowls these days. Robbie P maybe? Kemp? Thats going in the wrong direction in terms of bringing young talent through on 3 counts. Kallis would have been invaluable considering his form in the BBL, but we as SA public and media declared him too old, so he obliged and retired.

If QdK had form we could have played the extra bowler. AB seems our most likely option to share some overs with JP. Now will QdK bat at 1 or 7... Lets see...

Behardien could be an option for the slower/no bounce wickets, while Kyle will work better for the zippier wickets with bounce.

The allrounder issue is not a squad issue, but a player pool issue. We don't have any proper all rounders. MacLaren averages less than 20 with the bat in ODI's, Ontong hardly bowls these days. Robbie P maybe? Kemp? Thats going in the wrong direction in terms of bringing young talent through on 3 counts. Kallis would have been invaluable considering his form in the BBL, but we as SA public and media declared him too old, so he obliged and retired.

If QdK had form we could have played the extra bowler. AB seems our most likely option to share some overs with JP. Now will QdK bat at 1 or 7... Lets see...

Albie Morkel could've been considered as well. Post CWC I hope that, provided he has form, David Wiese will be given a chance to crack international cricket. From his fine performances in the One day Cup in particular the final he could be the long term answer. But ja the talent pool seems rather low on genuine allrounders.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=722;team=3;type=tournament

fanie got 1 game, gogga 2

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=787;team=3;type=tournament

here we played the same team for almost every match. one game boje filled in for JK, once for elworthy.

benkensteinm, crookes and dawson carried drinks/made cups of tea/polished zulu's shoes for a month.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=865;team=3;type=tournament

langeveldt and robbie p got a single game each (smith came into the team during tournament)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wc2007/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=2403;team=3;type=tournament

robbie p got 2 games, loots bosman 1(and didn't bat), telemachus smoked spliffs on the beach

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=4857;team=3;type=tournament

colin ingram, waleed parnell and lopsy all got 1 game each.

I was pretty happy with the team that was selected for CWC 2015. It's just a pity that the likes of QdK, Steyn, Parnell & Duminy to a lesser extent haven't come good.

There have been some good individual performances, but the 'team' hasn't been firing like a well oiled machine.

Should the above names step up to the plate, we'll be in with a shout as I believe the other guys are doing just fine.

Lets hope.....

Albie is in the same boat as Ontong and Kemp. I like Wiese, but he only really had one or 2 good showings after the squad was announced. Phangiso was a waste and like poor Tsolikile seems destined to carry drinks and will benefit more by playing at home than not get game time. In hindsight a few experienced backup players would have added more value if required in a crunch game than youngsters who should be working on their game instead of carrying drinks.