Cricket......

E1A104

the pro's (and people in general) are so much stronger today than 20 years ago as well, so they can use those big, heavy bats effectively.

the weight did not increase much in 25 years, they simply use different wood and do not compress the bats like they used to. Thats why the guys go through bats like its going out of style. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer the 1 review per side per innings, but if its Umpires call, the review is not deemed to be taken.

Spot on. same for test too, if it's that close it's a good review.

the weight did not increase much in 25 years, they simply use different wood and do not compress the bats like they used to. Thats why the guys go through bats like its going out of style. 

yup, having a bat for a season is old hat now. They say the sweetspot is so much bigger now that it's just much easier to 'middle' the ball. Also the edges are much thicker/meatier. so if you hit it on the edge of the bat it actually travels and not just snicks.

imagine what the kuipers, kluseners and bothams, sir vivs et al could have done.

yup, having a bat for a season is old hat now. They say the sweetspot is so much bigger now that it's just much easier to 'middle' the ball. Also the edges are much thicker/meatier. so if you hit it on the edge of the bat it actually travels and not just snicks.

imagine what the kuipers, kluseners and bothams, sir vivs et al could have done.

They did a test on bats recently,

the new vs old (1999 - 20003) and the new and old bats hit the same distance if middled, but if you miss hit the new bats still traveled to the ropes and the old bats traveled 40-60% of the new bat.

I believe that bats are limited to their width and haven't changed much.

The pitches are making the game batsmen biased though, but the sixes is what the general crowd wants to see.

Not a fantastic bowling attack ripping through a team for 150 in 30 overs.  

34th Match, Super Eights: Bangladesh v South Africa at Providence - Apr 7, 2007

Bangladesh 251/8 (50/50 ov); South Africa 184 (48.4/50 ov)

Bangladesh won by 67 runs

Scorecard | Commentary | Report | Article index (10) | Photo index (32)

Up to this point Bangladesh had beaten Bermuda and they had beaten India, they had lost to everyone else. BUT they beat INDIA, sent them home early(and the ICC back to the drawing board with all the resultant lost viewers). So the Proteas shouldn’t have feared them, but there was no place for complacency. We sent them in, and at 80/4 it was time to rip through the tail. That didn’t happen, and despite Andre Nel eventually getting 5/45 we allowed them to get a defendable 251. 12 wides and 5 noballs was a bit of an issue.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74200/74256.jpg

Ahraful's 87 included this dilscoop

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74200/74269.jpg

The batting never really got going, no real partnerships along the way. AB was opening back then, he was out in the 17th over, for 15 runs. Kemp came in at 4 to speed things up, and failed. The only guy who seemed to know what he was doing was Gibbs, but he came in at 7th and  played with the tail to our only 50. It wasn’t even close by the end. To add insult to injury we got fined for slow over rate too. The only good that probably came from this was a solid wake up call.

37th Match, Super Eights: West Indies v South Africa at St George's - Apr 10, 2007

South Africa 356/4 (50/50 ov); West Indies 289/9 (50/50 ov)

South Africa won by 67 runs

Scorecard | Commentary | Report | Article index (15) | Photo index (36)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/202500/202577.3.jpg

a bit of AB magic

AB was doing rather rubbish at the top of the order, he corrected that here. Smith was gone for cheap, but then a 170 run stand with Kallis followed by a 90 one with Gibbs put is in the pound seats. When he was eventually out for 146 in the 43rd over, he’d scored about 60% of the 260 runs. In came Bouch who got (probably a record at the time) a quickfire 50 of22 balls (2 x4, 5 x 6). 356 was a lot back then!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74300/74385.gif

AB gets tired

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74300/74390.jpg

86 off 6 overs together.

The windies really need to win this to stay in the tournament, but it was a tall order. The run rate never really got out of hand, but they kept losing wickets. At the 30 over mark, 170 would normally be doubled to about 340 so was in the zone – but 6 wickets were down. Sarwan got 92, but next best was an unbeaten 48 from Powell batting at number 10. This was the days when Biff fancied himself as a bowler despite all our other allrounders in the squad. He will say he took 2 wickets, but his 5 overs went at 11.2 rpo. For the record this was the only game Loots Bosman played (he came in for Kemp, but never batted)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74300/74393.jpg

cheers to the prince

So it looks like we possibly have a quarter final date with Australia if it rains in hobart tomorrow. 80% chance of showers.

If that happens then India get free ride to final

Barring a major miracle it seems Ireland is going home. They really did their country proud. Here's to hoping we see them at the next edition of the CWC.

Barring a major miracle it seems Ireland is going home. They really did their country proud. Here's to hoping we see them at the next edition of the CWC.

Agreed! sad to see them go....but I think if the right Pakistan team pitches up against the Aussies, the Aussies are going to have a tough time. The Pakistanis have won their last 2 games against the Aussies.

Agreed! sad to see them go....but I think if the right Pakistan team pitches up against the Aussies, the Aussies are going to have a tough time. The Pakistanis have won their last 2 games against the Aussies.

Yip the Paki's tend to play better when it's win or go home! That should be a good 1/4 match.

Now I wonder if the groundsmen will prepare a pitch that will favour the Aus batsmen rather than the Pakistani bowlers.

I sort of can guarantee a very flat pitch.

It's pretty reasonable to assume that they would try and advantage their side. Australia's batting is their strongest suite, not that their bowling and fielding ain't good but their batsmen tend to be their match winners.

So it's taken one month and 42 matches to get to where most of us thought we were going to be (unless you support England)

I hope they try and speed up the qualifying matches for the next World Cup.

So it's taken one month and 42 matches to get to where most of us thought we were going to be (unless you support England)

I hope they try and speed up the qualifying matches for the next World Cup.

I'm all for a ten team round robin with the 8 top ranked teams automatically qualifying and the other 2 spots challenged for in a smaller tournament Edited by Stretch