Cricket......

E1A104

looking ahead to the test series - kicks off next thursday, there's just a two day warmup starting tomorrow. interesting that QdK is not in the squad, and didn't force his way in despite a good run of form in the ODIs. BUT it would not have been fair to Dane Vilas to drop him after a single bangladesh test where it rained for 6 of the 5 days.

so who's in?

Elgar

Van Zyl

Faf

# Amla©

ABD

JpD (if fit) (otherwise Bavuma)

Vilas

Harmer (ahead of Piedt/Tahir)

Philander/Rabada

Steyn

Morkel

I don't think they will tinker with the opening pair, until maybe only the 3rd test

I think  2 of those players in red will be in the team during the 4 tests.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking ahead to the test series - kicks off next thursday, there's just a two day warmup starting tomorrow. interesting that QdK is not in the squad, and didn't force his way in despite a good run of form in the ODIs. BUT it would not have been fair to Dane Vilas to drop him after a single bangladesh test where it rained for 6 of the 5 days.

so who's in?

Elgar

Van Zyl

Faf

# Amla©

ABD

JpD (if fit) (otherwise Bavuma)

Vilas

Harmer (ahead of Piedt/Tahir)

Philander/Rabada

Steyn

Morkel

I don't think they will tinker with the opening pair, until maybe only the 3rd test

I think 2 of those players in red will be in the team during the 4 tests.

Reading this via tapatalk, so can't see the names in red. However agree with you on the most likely XI for the first few tests. Hopefully Rabada's presence gets the other quicks to jack up their game. Bavuma I think is the unlucky loser with selection although the same can be said of QdK. Vilas does deserve a chance and it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/934893.html

Over the next few weeks, South Africa will want to protect a record that they have been immensely proud of over the last several years: since the beginning of 2007 they haven't lost anoverseas series, winning ten (including a one-off Test against Zimbabwe), and drawing five. They are easily the best travellers in world cricket today, with an 18-5 win-loss record in Tests during this period, which is well clear of all other teams. If the UAE is taken as home venue for Pakistan, the next-best record in away Tests belongs to Australia, with 18 wins and 22 defeats (win-loss ratio 0.82, compared with South Africa's 3.60). (Pakistan's record outside the UAE during this period drops to 12-21; in the UAE it's 10-3.)

South Africa's record in Asia is a big part of their overseas success during this period: they have a 7-3 win-loss record in 17 Tests here, and three wins in eight series. That win-loss ratio of 2.33 in Asia is next only to India's 3.62 among all teams, and well clear of the other non-subcontinent teams: England have a 5-8 record, New Zealand 3-7 and Australia 1-10.

A big reason for South Africa's phenomenal successes in Asia is their pace attack. They average 28.54 in Asia since 2007, well clear of all other teams. In 17 Tests in Asia during this period, South Africa's fast bowlers have taken 171 wickets at 28.54; the next best by any team is 35.57, by India, which means the fast bowlers from all other teams have been at least 25% worse than the South Africans. Among the non-Asian teams, West Indies and England come in next with averages in the mid-30s, while the Australian and New Zealand pace attacks have averaged around 40. Clearly, South Africa have found a way to crack the Asian conditions like no other overseas team has.

225]http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/934893.html

225]Over the next few weeks, South Africa will want to protect a record that they have been immensely proud of over the last several years: since the beginning of 2007 they haven't lost anoverseas series, winning ten (including a one-off Test against Zimbabwe), and drawing five. They are easily the best travellers in world cricket today, with an 18-5 win-loss record in Tests during this period, which is well clear of all other teams. If the UAE is taken as home venue for Pakistan, the next-best record in away Tests belongs to Australia, with 18 wins and 22 defeats (win-loss ratio 0.82, compared with South Africa's 3.60). (Pakistan's record outside the UAE during this period drops to 12-21; in the UAE it's 10-3.)

225]South Africa's record in Asia is a big part of their overseas success during this period: they have a 7-3 win-loss record in 17 Tests here, and three wins in eight series. That win-loss ratio of 2.33 in Asia is next only to India's 3.62 among all teams, and well clear of the other non-subcontinent teams: England have a 5-8 record, New Zealand 3-7 and Australia 1-10.

225]A big reason for South Africa's phenomenal successes in Asia is their pace attack. They average 28.54 in Asia since 2007, well clear of all other teams. In 17 Tests in Asia during this period, South Africa's fast bowlers have taken 171 wickets at 28.54; the next best by any team is 35.57, by India, which means the fast bowlers from all other teams have been at least 25% worse than the South Africans. Among the non-Asian teams, West Indies and England come in next with averages in the mid-30s, while the Australian and New Zealand pace attacks have averaged around 40. Clearly, South Africa have found a way to crack the Asian conditions like no other overseas team has.

Was about to share the link. You got the jump on me.

Some interesting points to note: Steyn's record in India is better than his overall record in Asia and that his performances are significantly better than not only his contemporaries but also some incredibly distinguished predecessors. And if Steyn merely maintains his wickets per match ratio he will not exceed the 100 wickets in Asia mark but also give us an significant chance of maintaining our excellent touring record.

Was about to share the link. You got the jump on me.

Some interesting points to note: Steyn's record in India is better than his overall record in Asia and that his performances are significantly better than not only his contemporaries but also some incredibly distinguished predecessors. And if Steyn merely maintains his wickets per match ratio he will not exceed the 100 wickets in Asia mark but also give us an significant chance of maintaining our excellent touring record.

and then we look at the other side of the coin. India have this lanky guy who has now played 65 tests and he's still under 28. every time we play them, i just wonder how they are still scraping the barrel with him!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2015/content/player/236779.html

He averages 36. in india it's 33. Probably the worst bowler to ever take 200 test wickets.

and then we look at the other side of the coin. India have this lanky guy who has now played 65 tests and he's still under 28. every time we play them, i just wonder how they are still scraping the barrel with him!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2015/content/player/236779.html

He averages 36. in india it's 33. Probably the worst bowler to ever take 200 test wickets.

Only thing that makes sense to me with Ishant is that the Indian selectors are hoping for Broad-like performances with the ball but his figures show that's few and very far between (and he can't bat to save his life). Very hard to justify having him in the team but there also doesn't seem to be a competitor for his place in the Indian team. This is what makes me feel sorry for Kohli as he wants to play a more aggressive brand of cricket but the tools ain't there. Any good captain will always want one good, consistent wicket taking bowler and Ishant ain't that.

A cool article about AB

Referred to as a OneInAGenerationPlayer

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/935549.html

I remember about 6** years ago - AB said he wanted to be the best batsman in the world. He was flippen good, but had never really kicked on with his massive talent. He had started as a keeper/batsman, and was really young when he first made the team. (round about the same time this box called KP24 was going on about how white kids in SA had no chances). He delivered (i still think he's an average captain).

**now looking at the rankings record, i guess it was about 2008 when he said this.

http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/playerdisplay/test/batting/?id=2541

post-1830-0-72958500-1446467736_thumb.png

Here's a special article on AB, from Tom Eaton - better known as one of the best satirist writer in the country. It's not a funny read, especially if you're an indian fan getting ready for the next mauling - sit down and read.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/910981/the-audacity-of-ab

Surreal to see KP in a Dolphins kit yesterday hey

WTF? why didn't customs get him on treason charges at the airport?!

edit:added link http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/910981/the-audacity-of-ab

Edited by my stuff

I remember about 6** years ago - AB said he wanted to be the best batsman in the world. He was flippen good, but had never really kicked on with his massive talent. He had started as a keeper/batsman, and was really young when he first made the team. (round about the same time this box called KP24 was going on about how white kids in SA had no chances). He delivered (i still think he's an average captain).

**now looking at the rankings record, i guess it was about 2008 when he said this.

http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/playerdisplay/test/batting/?id=2541

attachicon.gifabd.png

i remember that day, i also remember a lot of people calling him big headed and not having his countries interests at heart (he said he wants to focus on his batting and not keeping to become the best in the world)