Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant by Morkel! Both openers in the hut. Come on boys. 1 more before close.

Oh wow

I thought the day was rained out

Let me switch on the magic box

And Rabada grabs Compton as well. Faint edge and England wastes a review!

KG joint leading wicket taker in the series

And SA lost the series

And he played one Test less than Broad

Wow!!

Hope he gets another to take the top spot

Then injury to Abbott is still a concern, plus his empty wickets column. He kept his lines tight, but if he could not get a wicket here, when conditions were 100% in his favour, I dont think he deserves his spot just as containing bowler. The turn and inconsistent bounce will make Piedt a handful, I hope he grabs 3 or 4 sticks tomorrow.

Then injury to Abbott is still a concern, plus his empty wickets column. He kept his lines tight, but if he could not get a wicket here, when conditions were 100% in his favour, I dont think he deserves his spot just as containing bowler. The turn and inconsistent bounce will make Piedt a handful, I hope he grabs 3 or 4 sticks tomorrow.

Just hoping the weather behaves...

Love this segment from the Moonda article, cricinfo, about why KG is a leader

"It was the last ball of the 82nd over. Kagiso Rabada had just taken his sixth wicket, England's most attacking batmen, Ben Stokes, was gone, the follow-on target had not yet been reached, and Chris Woakes was only just surviving. He dabbed one to cover and chanced AB de Villiers' arm. In one smooth motion, the South Africa captain swooped, snatched and shied. Had he succeeded, Moeen Ali would have been short. Every member of the South African XI had their hands on their head and then.... Rabada smiled.

Morne Morkel at mid-off smiled, Dane Piedt smiled that irrepressible smile, Quinton de Kock and Hashim Amla smiled from the behind the stumps and eventually even de Villiers smiled. For what felt like the first time in the series, South Africa's collective confidence had grown to the point where they could smile.

That's the difference a spearhead makes."

In a way it makes things easier when Steyn / Vern is fit again. Its a pity that our next test will only be in August.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/965433.html

What is everyone's take on this? It seems to me that transformation (or the lack thereof) may be at the root of this. In the last week, the Lions lost 2 transformation players in Bodi and likely Tsolikile, now Alviro wants to miss some game time too. Robin Petersen and Rory Kleinveld (along with Levi) seems to have been released by the Cobras, CSA is refusing to let them go.

I wonder how you remain motivated at your current franchise if you could have been earning good money overseas.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/965433.html

What is everyone's take on this? It seems to me that transformation (or the lack thereof) may be at the root of this. In the last week, the Lions lost 2 transformation players in Bodi and likely Tsolikile, now Alviro wants to miss some game time too. Robin Petersen and Rory Kleinveld (along with Levi) seems to have been released by the Cobras, CSA is refusing to let them go.

I wonder how you remain motivated at your current franchise if you could have been earning good money overseas.

so the NOC will allow them to play in IPL league etc?...iI am not a fan of the IPL at all...I will leave it at that

so the NOC will allow them to play in IPL league etc?...iI am not a fan of the IPL at all...I will leave it at that

The way I understand it, is that you need to apply for an NOC for each tournament you wish to play in abroad, be it BBL, IPL, MCL or even County Cricket. CSA has historically scheduled local tournaments and international tours around IPL, as many of our players participate in the IPL. It is probably the biggest reason that we only play on average 9 tests a year, opposed to England's 15 a year as England's schedule continues, regardless of the IPL. The way forward would surely be some sort of "release" paid to the franchise for players to participate in tournaments that clash with local competitions. This way the unions can contract some international players to participate in our local tournaments, but with the transformation charter as it is, there does not seem to be room for overseas pro's in our sides as they per definition are excluded from the transformation numbers (Gayle, for instance would not count as a transformation player in a local tournament, regardless of his skin colour).

I think we can all agree that our local domestic circuit needs a wakeup call..so I would agree with any decision that aims at improving that. all that said - If I had a say I would plough heaps of money into the varsity league...this is where a large portion of players loose focus on the game...and while there is much transformation at school level, it does not seem to follow through into domestic...so I can only guess that is where it is getting lost