Extra Water Bottle?

Garfield2010

post-12877-0-68757300-1321254307.jpg

Hi guys

I find that in my quest to do a sub 3 hour race of around 100km's that I cannot afford to stop for water along the route. 2 bottles just is not enough.

I want to buy 2 bottles of 500ml energade, drink one like 10 minutes before the start and then take the other one along somehow.

What I would like is this third bottle (500ml energade) mounted sideways on top of my frame (between my seatpost and my handlebars) -- almost like in the pitcure, only on top instead of below....

Does any bike shops in Joburg sell these kinds of hydration solutions?

I used to ride with 2 bottles in the cages and 1 in my back pocket. That normally lasted a race. Just an idea, use it don't use it

Thanks Sammajoor I tried that but dont like reaching for bottles in stuff in my back pocket whilst in a bunch. Works perfect for training rides though.

Thanks Sammajoor I tried that but dont like reaching for bottles in stuff in my back pocket whilst in a bunch. Works perfect for training rides though.

With enough practice in a bunch on a training ride, you get so proficient that it becomes second nature.

Tumble Weed, I was almost thinking of mounting a normal bottle holder om my frame so the bottle would slide out to the front. Obviously it would need to be a smaller holder as I only want to carry 500ml in it.

get 2 x 750ml bottles. That will give you the same amount of liquid as carrying 3 x 500ml. You really shouldn't need more than that for a 100km road race, unless it is very very hot. I seldom drink more the 750ml on a 3 hour bike ride.

I do have 2 x 750ml bottles. That is not my bike. I sweat a lot and normally on a 100km race I stop and refill at 75km's. So if only I could get like another 500ml's!

I bought a attachment that allows you to mount a bottle where you want it. Just 2 plactic straps with an attachment to add the screws of the cage

I have never seen or heard of what you are describing. If you want a 3rd bottle you are going to have to stick it in your jersey pocket or in one of those rear mounted bottle carriers that fit behind your seat although I am not sure if you'll be allowed to use one of those in a road race. I've never seen anyone with one before. I know you said you don't want to do that but it is not difficult, just practise one or twice riding up and down your street and you'll have it down.

Why don't you consider a Seat Post mounted cage? Unless you have legs like an orangutan or rides around with a lunch-box under your saddle, this would work very well for a 500ml bottle.

post-5386-0-32385700-1321263254.jpg

I do have 2 x 750ml bottles. That is not my bike. I sweat a lot and normally on a 100km race I stop and refill at 75km's. So if only I could get like another 500ml's!

Post #4 shows you a mount that you can attach to a any round average size tube. Get that put on a normal bottle cage then buy a 500ml cycling bottle, the normal bottle just shorter.

But the question is why put it on the top tube when you can put it out of your way and out of the wind behind the seat post? And how are you going to stand over the tube when stationary with a bottle rubbing up you unit?