Fox fork

Dustbin Dog

I have a problem with my new Fox 32F 100 fork where dirt adheres to the stanchion (ie not wiped by the wiper seal). It is quite difficult to remove it and the seal passes over the dirt when compressed. Does somebody know why this happens? Help please!! :unsure:

What does the dirt look like? Is it tenacious black stuff that sticks to the stanchions?

If so, then there is a problem with the oil seal's rubber compound. I've seen this a few time, to the extent that it sometimes sticks so badly to the stanchions that it rips the seal right out.

What does the dirt look like? Is it tenacious black stuff that sticks to the stanchions?

If so, then there is a problem with the oil seal's rubber compound. I've seen this a few time, to the extent that it sometimes sticks so badly to the stanchions that it rips the seal right out.

Hi JB, it is not black but rather dark brown. It could be a mix of seal rubber and dust. It really attaches its self to the stanchions that well that you need to scrap it off using your finger nail rather than a cloth or soft brush.

Iv had exactly that with a brand new Fox fork. I then had it serviced locally and the guys oiled the little foams below the seals, it then worked beatifully. I then sent the fork to Omnico (cape town) for its next service and it has started that nonsence again... I dont think they come brand new with oil on that foam ring?? and the "agents" do the same when sericing?

Hi JB, it is not black but rather dark brown. It could be a mix of seal rubber and dust. It really attaches its self to the stanchions that well that you need to scrap it off using your finger nail rather than a cloth or soft brush.

Thanks. I can't imagine what it is. Usually when the rubber disintegrates (from Q20 and other lubricants applied externally), it rubs off as pure black.

Iv had exactly that with a brand new Fox fork. I then had it serviced locally and the guys oiled the little foams below the seals, it then worked beatifully. I then sent the fork to Omnico (cape town) for its next service and it has started that nonsence again... I dont think they come brand new with oil on that foam ring?? and the "agents" do the same when sericing?

Although it is best practice to oil the sponge rings when you install the fork after a service, they're supposed to be self-oiling after that. Oil is supposed to splash up from the insides of the fork and keep the foam ring wet. If oil levels are too low, it won't reach, I suppose. It is a good idea to invert the bike from time to time to wet the rings.

However, attepting to lubricate from the top is futile and in fact, usually counterproductive. The oil that you use could affect the seals. I've seen on occasion where the seals rub off onto the stanchions coating them with black rubber. But, I've never been able to identify what causes it, although I suspect some WD-40 or Q-20 or such. Customes swear blind that it is not that, so I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha Ha should have guessed, the agents want to replace the seals and service the fork for R600-00. :angry: (Seal warrantee only 3 months). If the seals are not leaking why replace the seals? The seals have not failed, they are doing what they are designed to do. Typical South African business culture. Why don't they just honour their warranty. :thumbdown:

Ha Ha should have guessed, the agents want to replace the seals and service the fork for R600-00. :angry: (Seal warrantee only 3 months). If the seals are not leaking why replace the seals? The seals have not failed, they are doing what they are designed to do. Typical South African business culture. Why don't they just honour their warranty. :thumbdown:

Free tub of vaseline with the service??!!

Man, they will just screw us over wherever they can! For that money rather have JB do it and know it's properly done by someone who cares about his job.

• 1 month later...

Just some feed back from the Fox agents as to what is causing the problem. They still would not fix the problem under warrantee!!

Quote: Fox changed oil formulations when they started producing FIT carts. The new oil was stickier to combat the stiction caused by the lack of oil in the open bath of the fork. This had a negative spinoff which in turn caused the situation you see on your fork with a sticky dirt layer which wont be removed. To combat this, the open bath oil needs to be changed to fox's 10wt red oil. The new fox SKF low friction dust wipers also assists. :rolleyes: