Employment Initiative in Germany - Great Idea

Caerus

I was watching Sky news this morning, they had a report about the unemployment in Germany. It centred around a LBS where youngsters or any unempolyed people would study at collage or school for two days of the week, in this case you learn everything there is too know about bicycles, then you work the other three days in the Local Bike shop, getting the practical part done and putting the theory into practice.

Its kind of along the lines of an apprenticeship, but extends to any form of business, be it retail, office or a factory enviroment. They get paid at the same time they are working.

Can these sorts of initiative work in South Africa?

Link: http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16111236

Edited by Caerus

Why can these sorts of initiative work in South Africa?

I know its derogatory to just dismiss that answer purely because it "just wont work" but that is essentially the truth. We are teetering on very unsteady ground at the moment as handouts are getting more and more common place. Forget about, bike maintenance apprenticeships, there are a million more relevant social issues that the unemployed could be used to help alleviate. Just take solid waste. There are well documented community based waste removal programs that could be creating/empowering thousands of small business across the country, yet in the rural context nothing is done. and there are a hundred other such examples.

Lets see what comes of the NPC 2030 plan, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

I know its derogatory to just dismiss that answer purely because it "just wont work" but that is essentially the truth. We are teetering on very unsteady ground at the moment as handouts are getting more and more common place. Forget about, bike maintenance apprenticeships, there are a million more relevant social issues that the unemployed could be used to help alleviate. Just take solid waste. There are well documented community based waste removal programs that could be creating/empowering thousands of small business across the country, yet in the rural context nothing is done. and there are a hundred other such examples.

Lets see what comes of the NPC 2030 plan, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

What I thought that was great about this, was that it can apply to any industry.

I saw it. It was a sick ass store that.

But just look at the dumpster diver. Each of them are a little business on their own. In my area they travel together and each collect a certain type of rubbish. they work hard because they are up before I am trying to get to the bins before the collection trucks get them. No if they can be schooled to take it one step further. Maybe get items into a blank state before handing it in, it can help even more.

But just look at the dumpster diver. Each of them are a little business on their own. In my area they travel together and each collect a certain type of rubbish. they work hard because they are up before I am trying to get to the bins before the collection trucks get them. No if they can be schooled to take it one step further. Maybe get items into a blank state before handing it in, it can help even more.

I was drooling :drool: , they had so many bikes in that shop :thumbup:

Dumpster diver - I love that term!

I for one, would like to see us try that in SA.

I think we have far too much emphasis on acedemic qualifications

I for one, would like to see us try that in SA.

I think we have far too much emphasis on acedemic qualifications

Definitely, we have got to start something.

Will work any where if the people are willing to work. Of the 15 trainees that started here under the goverments plan I have 3 left and they wont be here long :o

Will work any where if the people are willing to work. Of the 15 trainees that started here under the goverments plan I have 3 left and they wont be here long :o

I need a new job in Cape Town, one of me could do 3-5 peoples jobs ;)

Ja Caerus, I think it's an excellent idea. If I get a cycling business that I have in mind off the ground, my thought was to get township mechanics trained properly - I bet there's a lot a mashed up derailleurs and other bits from improper tuning. If expensive bikes are going to end up there, at least they should be kep running properly.

I was in Khayalitsha and Mitchell's Plain the other day - saw a "bike shop" at the side of the road in the sweltering sun. A pile of frames on a rickety old cart, some bikes leaning up against rocks and split poles and things. Wish I'd had a camera ... a very interesting piece of Africa.

Hmm, I also saw it, but didnt really take note of the principles, however the idea is not new, its been practiced in the USA for years in various trade fields like motor mechanic's, motorbike mechanics, specialized welding etc, there's even one for commercial oil field divers.

One of my mates in Houston was laid off during the crash in 2009, he could not find a job so enrolled in a motorcycle mechanics course as he is a keen biker, he studied the theory over a period of a month at night school, then spent a month at a special school where he learnt the basics of engines etc, then he was enrolled in a motorcycle shop to learn the ropes for three months, then back to school for a month, back to the shop for three months etc, the entire course took him two years but he got certified as a motorcycle mechanic and that's what he do's now from home, doing quite well too.

As you say, its along the lines of an apprenticeship but its a bit quicker and a bit more intensive. However there have to be shops who support the initiative and are prepared to train these folk, he was only paid minimum wage for his shop time, school time was unpaid but he had a goal so he lived with it, sadly trades in SA are very under-supported, my experience with apprentices post 2000 was terrible, I wasn't alone either, so I just stopped training them, many companies did likewise - as LE turbo says.......an interesting country Africa.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I think its a GREAT idea!! Being an Artisan/Tradesman myself, I know how difficult it is to get the practical experience to put with your qualifications!

All the companies want guys with 5 to 10 years experience, BUT NONE of them want to give you the chance to prove yourself or to get the experience! Now I know we live in SA and that the companies take a risk in employing people without practical experience.......or with limited experience.

The days of apprenticeships are long gone and that is why the country is sitting with a skills shortage! I say bring it back like in the old days!!! Hard graft with PROPER development!

:thumbup:

Just my 5c worth!