Query re fixed wheel/gear bikes

RodTi

So - can all the singlespeed fundi's clear up some things on this issue...?

Am I correct in stating that a Singlespeed bike can either have one gear, but with a free wheeling hub - like most of our bikes - or, come with one gear and a 'fixed' hub?

If so - the fixed hub - does this basically mean that there is no "freeing", in other words - if the pedals ain't turning - the bike ain't riding?

If so - does a fixed wheel/hub (what is the correct term?) bike then automatically mean you have a sort of "back-pedal" brake - like I used to have on my BMX as a laaitie? I remember I could "kap a mean 'S' [sorry]", because I could jam the pedal down in the opposite direction, thereby locking up the rear wheel - but it was so long ago, and I was too young to actually notice/care, that for the life of me I cannot remember whether or not that meant the bmx was a 'fixed' wheel as well (in other words, pedal turning and wheel turning were linked) - presumably it must have been...???

Now - this begs the question - if the pedals have to rotate for the wheel to rotate, and slower rotation = slower speed of the wheel turning/faster rotation (of pedal) = faster speed of wheel turning ..... does this mean that on a fixed gear bike - you can only descend as fast as you can turn your pedals? So if you're on a particularly rocky descent, where you can't really pedal - you ain't going to be going down it awfully quickly?

And - if you're on a long, smooth, tarred downhill - are you also limited to how fast you can descend, by how fast you can pedal?

That doesn't strike me as being right?

Or am I right - and I'm just battling to get my head around it?...

Some clarity would be appreciated....

I really do get the lure of the singlespeed bike...

Everyone I have chatted to about it, go on about how one doesn't actually realise how much concentration/focus is placed by a rider on choosing the right gears, and thinking about them etc... How on a singlespeed, you don't need to worry about it anymore, which clears up the mind and allows you to focus purely on pedalling, picking the right line, your surroundings etc....

I really think I'd dig that.

BUT - I loooovvveeee speed. And nothing excites me more than a long, fast descent -  or a long descent over technical terrain.... And I think I would enjoy this equally on a singlespeed 'free-wheel' bike...

BUT - if my description above is correct - I just cannot get why someone would opt for fixed wheel on a mtb...

How boring are the descents!!?

And before you say that no-one does this - been spending some time on mtbr.com - and whilst they are, admittedly, in the minority - these dudes are definitely around... plenty of them with old Ti frames that they've had converted...

Am I missing something? 

Dude, I dunno about MTB's, but I have been riding track bikes since '89, and they really are good for training and getting your legs used to the pedalling action.

But you are correct in assuming...the bike only moves if pedalled. And no, its not like the old back-pedal type bikes. You can apply pressure to slow you down, but its not a brake at all, and you'll fall damn hard if thats what your gonna try!!

As for descending on fixed wheel...I dunno, but thats scary. I once tried to 'raise' my leg speed by riding my track bike down Lido hill years back...NOT A GOOD PLAN!!

Remember, on descents you stop pedalling to corner, something you cant do on a fixed wheel. And this will SERIOUSLY affect your control if its technical!!

I am all for Fixed wheel training...but just be sensible about if your not on a track...

With singlespeed mtb's, you can still free. You only have one gear ratio, but you do have a freewheel. Fixed means exactly that - you can't free and as GO wrote above, that can get hairy on long downhills. You do get guys riding fixie mtb's but they tend to REALLY know what they are doing. Have a look a Sheldon Brown's pages on singlespeeds and fixies.

I've ridden a singlespeed on the road for a long time, but I'm going to change it to a fixie some time in the near future.

Just make sure you put a brake (front) on a fixie.

Thanks!

So I guess it is a case of me having to get my head around it!

Must say though - whilst I have every intention of converting to single speed one day - making it a 'fixie' will probably never feature in my plans!

Attached is a picture of a similar frame to mine, after years of thrashing as a singlespeed...

20071213_070030_DBR_Axis_TT_-_S.jpg

Can't but help thinking everything about this bike screams: "Cool. Now ride me!"

I've commuted on a fixie for a long while in UK and loved it. Tried a mates fixie MTB and phew - it's a different ballgame. Downhills and tecky sections are hairy. (one pedal strike and you're out).

It's very far from boring - you not only have to ride downhill, choose your line, read the obstacles, etc, you also have to anticipate pedal strikes, keep momentum appropriate, etc.

There is a certain 'purity' about a perfect chainline, and to then exclude the freehub just takes it a step further. Back to a pure basic bike.

I hear you Pete!

But think the step up from gears straight to fixed, is a big one - that can only take some getting used to... 

For a casual rider like myself, who happens to like the idea of simplicity - I guess the best way to go would be from gears, to singlespeed freewheel, and then, finally, a fixed single...

Fun.

Fun.

And then some. Tongue

I ride my old cheap converted SS as much as my FS Titus. Give it a go - you will never look back.

I'm trying to convince the SO that there's a need for a brand new 29er SS in the house.

I ride my old cheap converted SS as much as my FS Titus. Give it a go - you will never look back.

I'm trying to convince the SO that there's a need for a brand new 29er SS in the house.

Good luck Wink...

Convincing the SO about the need for a new 'anything-bicycling-related' can make cycling backwards down an erupting volcano on a ss fixie without hands seem like a walk in the park...

Which reminds me - need to stop off on the way home, and pick up some flowers.... See, I have my eyes on these KCNC Skandium bar-ends.....

PS - Can anyone figure out what the bike in the above pic has attached to its seatdowntube?

Been bugging me for weeks...
RodTi2007-12-14 03:14:03

Cut cut cut.

PS - Can anyone figure out what the bike in the above pic has attached to its downtube?

There's nothing attached to the downtube, but what looks like a can opener strapped to the seat tube...dunno what though.

Cut cut cut.

PS - Can anyone figure out what the bike in the above pic has attached to its downtube?

There's nothing attached to the downtube' date=' but what looks like a can opener strapped to the seat tube...dunno what though.
[/quote']

Oh yeah right - that's what I meant - the seat tube.... It must do something right? [Maybe something for a fixed gear bike?] Why would someone attach something useless to their ride? Guess it'll just go on bugging me - aw stuff it. I'll mail him and see what he says!

RodTi2007-12-14 03:14:57