Bike Measurement

BernardG

Ok, so I am thinking of ordering a road bike from a EU country, getting somebody to bring it in for me.

How wrong can I go with measurement? I obviously know my bike frame size, but things like stem lengths? I can get it about right, but would a 110m stem vs 100mm stem make a big difference on a 58cm frame (large)?

I know my crankset length and would then do a setup once I get the bike.

which bike?

which country?

Eddy Merckx = Belgium

Bianchi = Italy

Planet-X = UK

On one = UK

Van Nicholas = Holland (but made in Tiawan)

we can go on the whole day.

The brand determines the geometry. From that you should be able to calculate stem lengths ext from what you are riding now. You can go wrong on both the frame and the stem, as each brand is a little diferent. The best is to research this aspect. (Eddy Merckx fo instance have slacker angles and longer top tubes than other bikes.)

100mm to 110 can make a big difference...and also L is not the same....make sure you look at the geometry of the TT and HT....best is if it is the same as your current bike(if your current bike fits you correctly)

Don't worry about the stem length, handlebar width or seatpost lenght. Measure the VIRTUAL top tube of you current bike and match the new one as close as possible. Don't worry about the seat tube length or the S, M or L stickers.