Newbie carbon questions

DaleE

Greetings all,

After a couple if years on an TCR Giant, I'm toying with the idea of a carbon steed .... Spec Roubaix or BMC or similar. Before I go and shell out a good chunk of cash, can someone please advise on the following:

1. what is the expected lifespan of a carbon frame? I'm not expecting 'forever', but have heard some stories that they only last 3-5 years and then need replacing. For a R20k frame, that does not fill me with happiness :(

2. Why do people say that carbon wheels should be kept for racing? Are they really so fragile? And if so, why do so many folk use them?

3. Do carbon bits need an special care (other than cleaned and lubed)?

And then, in general, is there any reason NOT to buy carbon?

TIA,

Dale

Greetings all,

After a couple if years on an TCR Giant, I'm toying with the idea of a carbon steed .... Spec Roubaix or BMC or similar. Before I go and shell out a good chunk of cash, can someone please advise on the following:

1. what is the expected lifespan of a carbon frame? I'm not expecting 'forever', but have heard some stories that they only last 3-5 years and then need replacing. For a R20k frame, that does not fill me with happiness :(

2. Why do people say that carbon wheels should be kept for racing? Are they really so fragile? And if so, why do so many folk use them?

3. Do carbon bits need an special care (other than cleaned and lubed)?

And then, in general, is there any reason NOT to buy carbon?

TIA,

Dale

1. Well I have never even had a frame that long :P. My dad has a full carbon bike and has been using it for about 5 years now and no worries yet. I think if you race professional a carbon frame won't last too long but if you just train I think it shoUld last you a life time!

2. I train with my Zipp 404 and no problem with training hey, only thing is if you train with them you can fall and damage them due to training. I took a plunge and snapped my 2 week old Corima Carbon wheels because I trained with them :thumbdown:

3. No, just like normal parts. My whole bike is made up of carbon. B

esides my seat and my brake calipers :P

Go carbon :clap: I have a full aluminium training bike and when you get on the racing bike :drool: it's just something else!

1. what is the expected lifespan of a carbon frame? As long as you want it to, if you look after it. I've had my Scott CR1 Team for 7 years and it's still as stiff as a plank after some hard racing.

2. Why do people say that carbon wheels should be kept for racing? Because carbon wheels are mostly tubbies which are very expensive if you puncture every week, for example. Are they really so fragile? No, they're not. I've had quite a few hard hits on the and they stayed true. And if so, why do so many folk use them? Because a good set of carbon wheels go like stink - think Zipp 404 - and wheigh next to nothing 3. Do carbon bits need an special care (other than cleaned and lubed)? No

And then, in general, is there any reason NOT to buy carbon? No

TIA,

Dale

I believe it depends on your size and weight! I am 6'6" and love alu,I flex carbon far to easily,alu is far more responsive and rigid! I also weigh in at 90 odd kg... I also easily flex my 404s and barely use them! Carbon is hgreat for feather weights who are as strong as Wilsons mints! Sure,if you prepared,or can afford a new carbon frame every few years,go for it! Most carbon brands have a weight limit and a limited period warranty....... For one simple reason.....they aint meant to last!

Carbon fibre should have a better lifespan than aluminium, because carbon fibre has an infinite fatigue life, the same as carbon steel. Aluminium on the other hand does not have an infinite fatigue life and therefore can fail in the long run (but it will take moer long)

I've never owned a carbon frame, nor ridden on one so I can't answer the rest, but from a strength of materials point of view carbon fibre should last longer.

However, aluminium will likely handle crashes, dents and chips better than the carbon equivalent.

Thanks folks .... so as long as I don't crash the thing, there does not seem to be any reason not to go carbon :)

Regards,

Dale