Scratch Repair

pauloc

Hey Guys,

Had a few nasty falls on the weekend and as a result my bike has a few scratches in the paintwork. Nothing too serious, but I'd like to get rid of the scratches.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paulo

Go to a crafts shop and buy some of those little paint tubs they use on model aircraft, get a small paintbrush and touch it up, could also smooth it out a bit with some fine sand paper once done but do this with caution.

Hey Paulo,

I have used model paint (enamel) which worked really well. I had a small paint chip on the frame, and also had to cover a large area (about 10c coin size) on my fork leg. White and black, so colour match was not a problem.

Try rubbing it down with a soft cloth and car polish if the scratches are not right through the paintwork. Otherwise touch up with paint as suggested already.

If the scratches are just in the clear-coat, your very last word is this: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4580

I polish up my forks with this once a year (they tend to become dull and roughed up from scraping through fynbos all year), the results amaze me every time!

You can get the stuff at Makro or Builders Warehouse.

Thanks - saw that in the shops before. I've got some of their Ultimate Compound but will give this a try as well.

Anyone try that Verimark "wonder" pen that takes scratches out, or at least covers them up? Or will no admit to buying it cause it was a load of shite :lol:

Anyone try that Verimark "wonder" pen that takes scratches out, or at least covers them up? Or will no admit to buying it cause it was a load of shite :lol:

LOL! After their 90's ab-crunch gimmicky thing I've never bought another Verimark product again :D

I bought some other paint product from them. I basically gave R200 away, didn't come even close to their tv ad claims.

I bought a cheap airbrush from Makro and used those model paints. It worked like a dream on my bike. Unless the sun shone directly on the spot, you could not see where the scratch was. You must flat the scratch first before spraying and do not mask it off. That way the paint mists in and the colour tone difference is not so apparant.