What MTB would you buy for +/- R 30K

Rickb33

I am looking to replace my MTB and was looking to go Alu Softtail 29er - looking to spend approx R 30K.

I saw a nice KTM 1.29 Phinx at the 94.7 Expo at R 32K.

I would appreciate views on what to buy.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What MTB would you buy for +/- R 30K

A handbuilt something or the other SS.

Sorry, but for me, R30k is an investment, not to be spent on disposable cr@p.

Forget the "Value Brands" (they are like cheap chinese cars!), you will regret buying it in the future.

Go for the best! Specialized... and for a change they have a bike that offers great value!

Check out the new 2012 Specialized Camber Expert 29er - only sells for about R33'000!

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=206&year=&bike=322

BEST ALLROUND BIKE ON THE MARKET!!

Edited by Revolutionary

You are all nuts to pay that for a bike! Or you got lots of bucks to burn.

I have built up and resprayed an old Specialized XC Pro dualie bike frame. Bought new wheels and brand new X9 groupset for under R11 0000.

Lets put things in perspective you can get a VERY DECENT 2008 model Honda with 2000km on the clock. Go to www.bikeshopboksburg.co.za and do a search on price in ascending order. Dont be shocked now when you see just how many bikes there are for under R30 000. The bike pictured bellow was R29 900.

So please someone explain to me why a trap fiets should cost more than motorbike? Are you being fooled by marketing? Do you realy think that you are going to ride like Kevin Evans or Burry Stander without the blood sweat and tears? You can get a brand new scooter for less than R6000!Theres much much more technology that has gone in to it than any bike components(except I will hand it to the complicated lefty suspension of canondale). Canondale realy outdone themselves with this complicated mechanism. Its Canaondales own fault for designing something that comnplicated that still does not work any better than a simple Rock Shox Reba!

Dont believe all that crap on advertising and branding marketing Bul&%& coming from the bike mags and bike shops.

Moenie n skaap wees nie(THINK). Look at the components and durability. Go on a bike maintenance course. If you like me have been riding MTB for more than 12 years 3-5 times a week then you and I are both on the longhaul.Its worth knowing how to fix and build your own bike. Its much more fun too. Once you know how the time saved is enormous. You soon find out how easy and simple it is and more importantly you learn that quality should be based on reliability of components rather than how much they weigh and who endorses it.

Its not about the bike, its all about your fitness level and technical skills ability that makes you enjoy the sport. Dont take yourself too seriously man. The day you die no one will care what bike you rode.

The only people that will be impressed with your expensive bike is the bike shop that sold it to you and the other bloke that got fooled in to buying the same thing.

post-7029-0-25176200-1322280392.jpg

I have built up and resprayed an old Specialized XC Pro dualie bike frame. Bought new wheels and brand new X9 groupset for under R11 0000.

Lets put things in perspective you can get a VERY DECENT 2008 model Honda with 2000km on the clock. Go to www.bikeshopboksburg.co.za and do a search on price in ascending order. Dont be shocked now when you see just how many bikes there are for under R30 000. The bike pictured bellow was R29 900.

So please someone explain to me why a trap fiets should cost more than motorbike? Are you being fooled by marketing? Do you realy think that you are going to ride like Kevin Evans or Burry Stander without the blood sweat and tears? You can get a brand new scooter for less than R6000!Theres much much more technology that has gone in to it than any bike components(except I will hand it to the complicated lefty suspension of canondale). Canondale realy outdone themselves with this complicated mechanism. Its Canaondales own fault for designing something that comnplicated that still does not work any better than a simple Rock Shox Reba!

Dont believe all that crap on advertising and branding marketing Bul&%& coming from the bike mags and bike shops.

Moenie n skaap wees nie(THINK). Look at the components and durability. Go on a bike maintenance course. If you like me have been riding MTB for more than 12 years 3-5 times a week then you and I are both on the longhaul.Its worth knowing how to fix and build your own bike. Its much more fun too. Once you know how the time saved is enormous. You soon find out how easy and simple it is and more importantly you learn that quality should be based on reliability of components rather than how much they weigh and who endorses it.

Its not about the bike, its all about your fitness level and technical skills ability that makes you enjoy the sport. Dont take yourself too seriously man. The day you die no one will care what bike you rode.

The only people that will be impressed with your expensive bike is the bike shop that sold it to you and the other bloke that got fooled in to buying the same thing.

My car with all its technology cost well over R300K, but my Cannondale with its overengineered Lefty (sweet) gives me 1000X the pleasure and keeps me healthy - priceless I say!

Edited by AnimalDoc

Theres much much more technology that has gone in to it than any bike components(except I will hand it to the complicated lefty suspension of canondale). Canondale realy outdone themselves with this complicated mechanism. Its Canaondales own fault for designing something that comnplicated that still does not work any better than a simple Rock Shox Reba!

I have the Lefty Carbon XLR on my bike, and I had a Reba on my old bike, and to be honest, for my kind of riding, which is XC it works perfectly. Besides the maintaining it which is quite a hassle, (needs 2 services a year) It is the best shock I've had.

Granted i've only had 3, but for XC I can't imagine theres much better out there. And if one is racing then the weight is important .

Maybe you haven't had any real experience with a Lefty?

I have the Lefty Carbon XLR on my bike, and I had a Reba on my old bike, and to be honest, for my kind of riding, which is XC it works perfectly. Besides the maintaining it which is quite a hassle, (needs 2 services a year) It is the best shock I've had.

Granted i've only had 3, but for XC I can't imagine theres much better out there. And if one is racing then the weight is important .

Maybe you haven't had any real experience with a Lefty?

Ok I must cadmit, I have ridden a lefty quite a few times and yes it sure does work very well and yes it is better than the "wreck" shocks Reba. Boet..I am only stirring the pot a little.

I must say I was expecting to get flamed realy bad on my other comments by some hubbers.....the serious dudes must be all out riding. Which is what I am about to do(before the rain starts again).

A handbuilt something or the other SS.

Sorry, but for me, R30k is an investment, not to be spent on disposable cr@p.

I hear you but not being the most technical person on the planet I wouldn't know where to start building my own bike so where to I go to get something built? What is SS?

Yeah but why do we buy half of the things we do? - because we can.

If it was just a case of being practical we would all drive a R 10K car to get from A to B , never go out for supper because it is more expensive etc etc.

As you say I will die one day so enjoy life while you can.

PS - I don't buy things to impress other people, I buy them for my enjoyment. Incidentally I currently have a Merida Matts 60 which cost me R 5,5K and was great for getting me started - I didn't by that to impress and if I did it didn't work :)

I do hear you on the fitness aspect and I know many people who have bought I lighter bike etc. I have about 3 kg's to lose so could and should lose that and can save R 15K. (R 5K per kilo).

Ps - R 110K for your bike is a bit expensive (R 11 0000) :)

I want to go 29er because I am 6"4 so figure it might be a better option but don't know if I am fooling myself. I also want to start doing 3 day events and thought a Softtail would be a worthwhile upgrade. To a point I agree with you, I can do basic servicing of a bike but I do not have the ability to build my own - it took me an hour and a half to realize that a replacement chain needs to have links taken out (I almost took it back to the bike shop).

Edited by Rickb33

IMHO.

Buy a bike second hand that costs R30,000 new, but still in pristine condition.

I am just wary of 2nd hand as I have see what a MTB gets put through - how do I know what I am really getting if I buy via the Hub or even through a bike shop