Headset Bearing Replacement

Zula

Good morning everyone

I put the MTB on the work stand last night to give it a look over as I haven't used it in a while due to the DC. Anyways, I noticed that the headset felt very grindy when I turned the handlebar, so I proceeded to remove the handlebar and fork and gave everything a good clean. It turns out that the bearing which fits onto the fork is toast. When you turn it, it feels pretty rough and definitely needs to be replaced.

Obviously I don't want to replace the entire headset as its just the one bearing which is gone. My question is where can I buy bearings. Its a rithcey bearing which says 41*30.15;45deg*45deg.

Any ideas where I can replace this in cape town?

Thanks for the help!

If it is the standard sealed headset bearing I have plenty of new ones in my garage. If you feel like driving out to Durbanville i will sell them to you for R 20.00 each. The ones I have come from fsa headsets.

If it is the standard sealed headset bearing I have plenty of new ones in my garage. If you feel like driving out to Durbanville i will sell them to you for R 20.00 each. The ones I have come from fsa headsets.

Thanks! here is a link to the one I am looking for. Are yours the same dimensions?

My link

Thanks to Shamus @ Bicicleta for sorting me out a new bearing.

Will hopefully be arriving tomorrow in time for the weekend :clap:

Good morning everyone

I put the MTB on the work stand last night to give it a look over as I haven't used it in a while due to the DC. Anyways, I noticed that the headset felt very grindy when I turned the handlebar, so I proceeded to remove the handlebar and fork and gave everything a good clean. It turns out that the bearing which fits onto the fork is toast. When you turn it, it feels pretty rough and definitely needs to be replaced.

Obviously I don't want to replace the entire headset as its just the one bearing which is gone. My question is where can I buy bearings. Its a rithcey bearing which says 41*30.15;45deg*45deg.

Any ideas where I can replace this in cape town?

Thanks for the help!

A 45/45 degree headset bearing is evil. It is some propietary standard perpretrated by the likes of Richie and its band of merry colluders.

The standard was set by Cane Creek (then Aheadset) in the late 1980s and calls for 36 degree/45 degree. That standard was widely licenses and 36degree bearings are cheap and plentiful.

Finding 45 degree ones may be easy, but I'll rather pay R50-00 for a quality 36 degree one than R275 for an equivalent one of 45 degrees.

My approach to this is to replace the headset (often for less than the price of two 45 degree bearings) and make sure it conforms to standards.

A 45/45 degree headset bearing is evil. It is some propietary standard perpretrated by the likes of Richie and its band of merry colluders.

The standard was set by Cane Creek (then Aheadset) in the late 1980s and calls for 36 degree/45 degree. That standard was widely licenses and 36degree bearings are cheap and plentiful.

Finding 45 degree ones may be easy, but I'll rather pay R50-00 for a quality 36 degree one than R275 for an equivalent one of 45 degrees.

My approach to this is to replace the headset (often for less than the price of two 45 degree bearings) and make sure it conforms to standards.

Thanks JB

I will take that into consideration.

What does the 41*30.15 stand for?

Thanks JB

I will take that into consideration.

What does the 41*30.15 stand for?

That is the OD and ID of the bearing. That is a whole minefield in itself. There are about 40 variations of these things and that's why it is best in the long run to stick to a standard.

Companies like FSA make bearings for most of these proprietary sizes but that's not doing us any favours. The followers of stupid sizes and angles should be squeezed out of the market.

That is the OD and ID of the bearing. That is a whole minefield in itself. There are about 40 variations of these things and that's why it is best in the long run to stick to a standard.

Companies like FSA make bearings for most of these proprietary sizes but that's not doing us any favours. The followers of stupid sizes and angles should be squeezed out of the market.

Thanks

One last question

Would a normal bearing work that hasn't been shaved off at 45 degrees?

Who is that ?

Was wondering that too. You'd think that a self-proclaimed perfectionist would at least venture to at least try spell the name of one of the most respected frame and component builders - not too mention pioneers of mountain biking - in the industry correctly.

Was wondering that too. You'd think that a self-proclaimed perfectionist would at least venture to at least try spell the name of one of the most respected frame and component builders - not too mention pioneers of mountain biking - in the industry correctly.

Is that who he was kotching on about :o

Bizzare, if you are going to be a know it all, at least get the basic right :blink:

COLNAGO????