Miway Insurance - i learned a lesson today!

martelpypie

I am so disappointed in them and would recommend that everybody that changed over to them (i saw their Mtb related advertisement), read the fine print with a magnifying glass.

I had break in into my car and about R5000 stuff was stolen. According to them everything in the car must be cubbyhole or the boot. Our GPS was under the seat (and out of sight) because the cubbyhole was full. So the whole claim was rejected. Has anybody else had similar problems with them? What do you do if the boot is full of wheels and helmets etc. Then you do not have any cover whatsoever!

I will be changing to another insurance on Monday.

Who do you suggest we change to now, as i am scared about what would happen if my car gets stolen or if somebody crashes into me, as I do not trust them anymore.

Edited by martelpypie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so disappointed in them and would recommend that everybody that changed over to them (i saw their Mtb related advertisement), read the fine print with a magnifying glass.

Yeah, and the phoned me the once, and cause of the cycling relationship, I let them quote me. I'm still waiting. That's another story though.

Sorry for your loss.

Wont they exclude the gps and honour the rest of the claim?

Learnt my lesson with Do-It-Yourself insurance a loooong time ago. It turns out to be more expensive, generic and such a hassle when you need to claim. If I ever have to claim for anything I phone my broker, she tells me about the fine print and helps me to make sure that my claim doesnt get rejected.

I've said it once and I will say it a 1 000 000 more times. Alex Forbes are the best. You might pay slightly more, but the peace of mind I have is priceless.

I will never change from them.

Learnt my lesson with Do-It-Yourself insurance a loooong time ago. It turns out to be more expensive, generic and such a hassle when you need to claim. If I ever have to claim for anything I phone my broker, she tells me about the fine print and helps me to make sure that my claim doesnt get rejected.

Indeed, a broker usually places a lot of business with an insurer and has a lot more "pull" when it comes to sorting out issues than an individual. They also have a lot more experience in understanding and explaining the fine print to folk like me who never read it, so Yeah, I agree, use a broker and stick with the Blue Chip companies, M&F, Zurich, Santam etc they are usually a bit more expensive than direct insurers but as in anything you get what you pay for.

Remember that M&F Slogan........If you want to know how good your insurer is...Claim!" - never a truer word has been said.

I've said it once and I will say it a 1 000 000 more times. Alex Forbes are the best. You might pay slightly more, but the peace of mind I have is priceless.

I will never change from them.

Sorry, but my experience of Alexander Forbes is exactly the opposite,.....but that's the way things roll I guess.

I had a acident in my car. R20 000 damage. 4 days later a dude does a u turn in front of me, R33 000 damage. AF didnt bat a eye lid. Repaired no quibbles, had a hire car for almost 2 months.

Have claimed 3 wheelsets from them. All i needed to claim was a quote for replacement value.

Grumpy not lekker that you didnt have a good experience with them.

I pay all of R450pm on my 2008 BMW 323i

Yeah, as I say, that's the way it rolls, I have only had great service and support from M&F but I have no doubt someone else would have had a different experience,and insurance is a very touchy subject. :D

I will defnitely work through a broker in the future and never use the wannabee "Fly by night" micky mouse insurance companies ever again. They will not get anymore money out of me.

I hate to think what will happen at a race where the boot is full and the seats are flattened with 3 person's cycling gear and bags etc etc . The claim is null and void according to their policies it seems!!

Why do you even have insurance if nothing will be covered anyway?

I am just glad i realized it now, with a claim of less than R5k.

Grumpyoldguy - you are so right: "If you want to know how good your insurer is...Claim!" - never a truer word has been said"

Guys and girls - checkout your "cheap insurance" policies.

Somebody mentioned to me that Outsurance has the same policies, but I can't confirm it.

Somebody mentioned to me that Outsurance has the same policies, but I can't confirm it.

My Outsurance policy says that will only cover loose items if they are enclosed in a concealed storage area, such as a boot or cubby hole and there are visible signs of forced entry. The agent said that the concealment requirement does not apply to bicycles that are locked in a car or bike rack. Just to be sure, I got them to specifically state that in my cover document.

Couldn't agree more regarding Miway being crap. Contacted them for a quote for my 2 bikes, I'm currently with Cyclesure and thought I could save some cash moving to Miway.

When I eventually get my quote (3 phone calls to get my email address correct), my name and address is incorrect, I also see the cover is for far less than for what Cyclesure covers me for, I drop them a mail with a list of concerns and questions, I get a call saying they would like to give me feedback on my questions, I say thanks but put in on email then we can talk, needless to say a week later and still no mail, very disappointing considering all the mtb sponsorship, would have expected them to have a better understanding of the sport.