Tyre choice for Attakwas

eddy

I am doing Attakwas in January, riding a Niner HT so I will be looking for the bit of comfort that big volume tyres would bring and would need something that will handle the technical sections well. As I understand it, the route would be very rocky in parts and should not be attempted with anything with vulnerable sidewalls.

I am currently using Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25s. Would this meet the need or is there something likely to be better ?

I need to replace the tyres in any event, so could look at anything. Would the Nobbly Nic snakeskins be better suited, and if so in 2.25 or 2.35?

Any advice would be appreciated

thx

You really do want tough tyres for Attakwas. I wouldn't use Schwalbes. Go for full UST and something reliable like Maxxis Larsens or Conti Race Kings. I've done my previous two on Spez Fast Tracks, but even these are a bit risky.

I did the cape pioneer on Racing Ralp snakeskins and did not have any problems. If they can survice 6days of oom katot torture, I am sure they will survive attakwas. Also doing atta on the same tyres.

You can be unlucky/lucky on a set of tyres...

I found that I am quite lucky with a set of Maxxis Monorails (LUST 2.1) or run a Maxxis Crossmark at the back to help the perception of lower rolling resistance.

+1 for Schwalbe. Worked perfectly for the last Attakwas. Ran with Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph and had no issues at all.

Last year it really struck me how many 29er riders were stranded inbetween water point 2 and 3 (that nasty section just before the Spur water point). I didn't stop to check out the tire choice, but can confirm that the 3 Attakwas races I have done to date did very well on Geax Saguro on the front. For 1 I had a conti race king at the back that did the bizniz and the other 2 was Geax Saguro's too.

This year it will be a Conti XKing at the back and the trusty Saguro on the front again.

I had the Geax AKA on the back for Pioneer and it made it through 3/4ths of stage 1 before one of the tread nobbies tared off leaving a cut of about 3mm in length. I sealed this with a plug and a prayer and changed to the XKing thereafter (If they had Saguros I would have taken one for the rear as well).

You really do want tough tyres for Attakwas. I wouldn't use Schwalbes. Go for full UST and something reliable like Maxxis Larsens or Conti Race Kings. I've done my previous two on Spez Fast Tracks, but even these are a bit risky.

Conti don't do a 29er UST Race King.

But that said, I rode on 29er Race Kings last year without any issues. Maybe have a look at the Geax range - some nice tubeless options there...