Need help losing weight

CaptainDura

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain CaptainDura, I picked up 4kg's during the winter, I have 4weeks to get rid of it...some long rides will burn the fat away over the holiday period.

Maybe you are right Marius.

The one thing that I am not doing is some longer rides at a slower pace.

Due to the lack of training time I am doing shorter more intense training and thus I might not be burning as much fat, although i am definately fitter and faster than the same time last year.

Thanks

I lost 12 from December last year to March this year. Only ate less and rode more. Strugling to lose the another 10 without giving up pizzas, hamburgers and ribs.

I lost 12 from December last year to March this year. Only ate less and rode more. Strugling to lose the another 10 without giving up pizzas' date=' hamburgers and ribs.

[/quote'] Dream on China!

I went to this dietician (Jean Mills 021-7612682) in January 2007. Was riding in "K" PPA seeding! Now in "F". I drink 3 litres of water every day (am a heavy sweater whilst training), and followed her advise (not a diet)! I get complimented daily, and it is REALLY SO easy! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, invest in yourself. Go and see her. She is very clued up on the whole low GI story...I even bought a divine recipe book called "Eating for Sustained Energy" from her practice. I use it all the time.

Oh, and BEWARE OF ALCOHOL!!! It is the most wasteful consumption of empty calories you can possibly imagine!

Other than that...be strong! Good luck!Wink

Although its ideal to get a caliper test done (think that's what its called - any bio or dietician can do one)' date=' one can roughly estimate ideal bodyweight with the following formula:

Weight / (Length)squared.

Normally one should be between 20-25, but cyclists tend to be closer to 20/21 when in peak form. Its generally considered unhealthy to go below 18.5

CategoryBMI range - kg/m2BMI Prime
Starvationless than 15less than 0.60
Underweightfrom 15 to 18.5from 0.6 to 0.74
Normalfrom 18.5 to 25from 0.74 to 1.0
Overweightfrom 25 to 30from 1.0 to 1.2
Obesefrom 30 to 40from 1.2 to 1.6
Morbidly Obesegreater than 40greater than 1.6

This should help you to get a rough estimate, but if you are serious about it, see a bio or a dietician and get it right. I did this recently and now have a realistic goal I work towards.

To calculate your Basal Metabolic rate, the following link is quite handy:

Here's a good estimation from wikipedia re body fat percentages:

DescriptionWomenMen
Essential fat12?15%2?5%
Athletes16?20%6?13%
Fitness21?24%14?17%
Acceptable25?31%18?25%
Obese32%+25%+

Hope this helps
[/quote']

BMI is a very general way of finding out if you are overweight or not....it is only a guideline.  work according to what you find on the BMI index...if your BMI says you are overweight for you length and you can see muscle definition on your abs you know that you are carrying more muscle than fat but that makes up for the BMI index of being overweight.   but as the details above suggest for fat percentages they are a very good guideline.  thanks for the site!!!

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Last year I lost almost 10kg by just cycling a lot. I was sitting pretty between 82-83 kg's

This year I have actually picked up weight right up to 85 although I still cycle the same average amount of hours per week as I did last year this time.

The cherry on the cake is that I aim to take off two weeks over Christmas from cycling' date=' which will mean at the very least that i will not loose any more weight and most probably will pick up some more over the festive season.

I want to weigh about 80 kgs if I can get my way but dont know how to achieve this.

I cut out white bread this year. I am eating small portions fairly often (around 5 times a day which includes apples and other fruits, and I do some other sport activities besides cycling as well.

Im 1.82 and according to the gym my fat percentage hovers around 17%. Last year it was around 15%

What to do to shed these extra few kg's of fat.  I must be doing something different but i dont know what.

[/quote']

You are all pretty damb stupid just go to the JON a bit more. HELLOOOOO!!!

StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar

pickles, you must also buy the second book (eating for sustained energy). yep, simply using the recipes from those 2 books and following a truly healthy diet (ie healthy, not fad) will help you shed kilo's.

pickles' date=' you must also buy the second book (eating for sustained energy). yep, simply using the recipes from those 2 books and following a truly healthy diet (ie healthy, not fad) will help you shed kilo's.[/quote']

Ok danq

Star Vir jou!!

p.s. the above guidelines for calculating BMI only hold true for the average height people - according to those calcs i fall well and truly into the "obese" category... now i know i'm a bit overweight, but i'm certainly NOT obese.

bliksempie, the second book has some real delicious ones - mozzarelly her muffins, sweetcorn fritters, chicken and broccoli casserole, mustard chicken, mushroom and lentil stew (i'm addicted to this one) and honey and mustard dressing to name my favourites Wink

You never indicated how much you drink.......... I just cut my beer intake bu 30 -35% and i have managed to loose about 9kg's.

That said I lost 3kg's on todays ride alone. So depending wat you want to achieve, self esteem / motivation etc chose the times you weigh yourself.post_button_smiley.gif

its a falacy that slow rides burn more fat than more intense rides. All that happens is that the ratio of carb to fat increases. Overall you still burn more fat if, given the same amount of time in the saddle, if you ride harder. I lost 20kgs in the first few months of this year (88-68kg) using Carol Auston's program. She measures your resting metabolic rate accurately using a calerometer. You then capture all your food into a computer program that keeps track of calories and food type split. Basic principles are: calories eaten less than resting metabolic rate plus exercise calories burnt minus say 200 calories per day in order to lose 0.5kg per week. Its easier than it sounds- my 60 year mom uses it and has lost 10kgs. Everyone that I have sent to Carol has los weight and maintained. Goto www.activeworx.co.zamorrgreg2007-12-18 13:18:23

The whole BMI thingy doesn't work for me either.I am 1.74 m tall,weigh 78 kg,have a body fat percentage (done by caliper on 6 skinfolds) of 9.5% and my BMI still indicates that I am over weight.

My simple rule is that you must burn more calories than what you put in. I started cycling 3 years ago and dropped from 103kg to now 78 kg normal weight and 75 kg racing weight.I eat and drink whatever I want to but as soon as my weight goes up by more than 2 kg's I will cut back on what I eat for a day or two. I train between 10 and 14 hours a week.

Started on 95 kg.  Now at 81.8kg.  On USN at the stage.  If I were you I would just eat less junk and eat more low energy / fat foods.

oclv110 has it spot on, burn more calories than what you put in, full-stop. Most of these "off the shelf" diets do work, but that's only because they stick to the above principle. Problem is it's not sustainable because who the hell wants to chow cabbage for 6months Thumbs%20Down. Your balance of Carbs & Protein need to be correct as you want to promote muscle growth as well.

Find out what your base metabolic rate is, work out a food eating plan that will provide less than that and away you go.

Generally, something like this will work if you're in training:

Breakfast = 1x Oats so easy & Protein shake

Tea = 1 x Apple

Lunch = Protein & Carb eg. Tuna or Chicken on Wholewheat bread

Tea = 1 x Fruit

Supper = Protein & Carbs eg. Fish, Chicken or Pork with steamed veggies

Add plenty water and snack on Almonds if you need something to tide you over between meals.

Btw, often people gain a kilo or two in the beginning of a diet but don't stress. If you're training hard you normally experience some muscle growth if your diet is correct (remember, muscle weighs more than fat) before the fat burning begins.