Which saddle suits endurance MTB riding?

Perot

Just back from Desert Dash - i.e. 10 hrs plus on a MTB within 24 hrs period.  So the rear is a bit sore.  Any suggestions on a suitable saddle?

I've been told to try the Gobi - but when I look at it I just think 'where's the padding or the springs (ala Brooks saddles)?"

I don't think Padding has much to do with it. Just think about it, even a car seat will kill you a$$ after 10hours straight.

I think the trick is to stand up every 30mins or so just to give you a$$ a break and you should be fine. I ride a full carbon saddle, and the standing trick works for me.

WTB Rocket V Stealth.  I think the local importer doesn't bring the Stealth into SA, though, so you might have to get it from overseas (www.chainreationcycles.com) if you want it.

See the reviews on mtbReview.

The saddle has very deep, firm padding and you sit pretty much on your sit bones - not much pressure between your legs.  Quite different to other saddles I have tried, so if the "standard" Fziks and other usual suspects don't work for you, maybe give it a try.

Maybe you should expect your ass to be sore after 10hrs MTB riding in a day, regardless of the saddle.  How many hours did it take before your butt was paining?

ZeroPlay2007-12-18 08:05:25

WTB Rocket V Stealth.  I think the local importer doesn't bring the Stealth into SA' date=' though, so you might have to get it from overseas (www.chainreationcycles.com) if you want it.

The saddle has very deep, firm padding and you sit pretty much on your sit bones - not much pressure between your legs.  Quite different to other saddles I have tried, so if the "standard" Fziks and other usual suspects don't work for you, maybe give it a try.

Maybe you should expect your ass to be sore after 10hrs MTB riding in a day, regardless of the saddle.  How many hours did it take before your butt was paining?
[/quote']

Thanks for the advice on the saddle - I'll look into it. 

With regards to your question I think the pain starts after about 4 hours riding - which is a bit longer than when I did the Mugg & Bean.  Since then I pushed the saddle back and have used better quality cycling shorts - which both seem to have helped.  The thing is it's not the typical numb nuts that some suffer with but rather a bruised and raw feeling on or near the 'sit' bones.

Perot Co,

Do you use chamois cream? 

Get a tub of Bayer's Milko Balm (Cream Milking Salve) at the nearest co-op or Dischem.  About R 55.00 per 500 g tub.  Use it liberally. 

I can support the Fizik Gobi advice.  It is comfortable enough.  But you need to give your bum a regular rest whilst riding.  Stand up and ease the pressure as per Marius's advice. 

Regards,

casspir

casspir2007-12-18 08:43:53

WTB Rocket V Stealth.  I think the local importer doesn't bring the Stealth into SA' date=' though, so you might have to get it from overseas (www.chainreationcycles.com) if you want it.

[/quote']

Thanks for the advice on the saddle - I'll look into it. 

With regards to your question I think the pain starts after about 4 hours riding - which is a bit longer than when I did the Mugg & Bean.  Since then I pushed the saddle back and have used better quality cycling shorts - which both seem to have helped.  The thing is it's not the typical numb nuts that some suffer with but rather a bruised and raw feeling on or near the 'sit' bones.

WTB Rocket V Stealth's deep, firm padding is focussed in the sitbones area, so it might work for you.  I have no experience with the rest of the WTB Rocket V range, and I think the Stealth has different (lighter) padding than the others, so I'm not sure if I can recommend the one's they stock in SA.

Although I love the WTB Rocket V Stealth, a friend of mine had another model in the Rocket V range and absolutely hated it.  I guess saddles are like that.

Just back from Desert Dash - i.e. 10 hrs plus on a MTB within 24 hrs period.  So the rear is a bit sore.  Any suggestions on a suitable saddle?

As you are going to keep on doing dashes in a desert the Fizik Gobi would be the obvious choice....... not sure whether they have a Sahara, Namib or Atacama yet!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

WTB V Stealth is available in SA. They are inexpensive and light. Lighter than Gobi. Gobi is very popular but it doesn't work with my ass...same with Arione. Try Selle Italia's new Yutaak - very comfy.

NO WTB PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS PROVEN THAT WTB SUMHOW CUTS OFF THE BLOODFLOW.... GOBI ALL THE WAY or even an SLR it works trust me even after 24h of riding. did the wiesenhof on an slr no calves2007-12-26 14:45:21

The best saddle is the one that fits - each to their own. I have ridden on a Gobi, and now have a WTB, and I can't really tell the difference.

The gobi has got me through two 24hr rides, and the WTB got me through the Epic - so I feel confident it can survive Wiesenhof next month.

Did a 9 hour ride from Craighall Park to Harties yesterday on a generic X-mission saddle (which came standard on my SO's Merida) with no problems at all. Wearing a pair of Panda bibs too so nothing special on the bod. I didn't even think about the relationship between my bum and the saddle once. IMO, it really depends what works for you and that is found by experimentation.

I'm also in the market for a new saddle.  I currently have the Selle Italia Trans am gel but find that on the longer rides 5 hrs + I seem to chafe alot even with anti chafe cream.  I'm not sure but I think that maybe the saddle has to much cushion in it.  The problem I face is how do I know what saddle is best for me and my a$$. 

I'm not aware of any bike shops that have demo models that you can tryout for a week or so and then if you like it buy it.  How did everybody else go about getting the correct saddle?

Thanks

Paul