Question to all the men

headhunter2000

How many of you ride with your wife? I'm going uphill then back downhill with a couple of circles around my wife and then repeat the process and then I'm up for a moerse klap when I get back home.

I this the normal case?

ps. If my wife found out about this post, I'm part of the gravel.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going uphill then back downhill with a couple of circles around my wife and then repeat the process

There's the problem.

Ride with her is the operative word, not showing her how much slower she is than you.

Imagine if she was doing the "going uphill then back downhill with a couple of circles around my husband and then repeat the process"

How would you feel?

Feel blessed she rides, i find with most friends and family, when your partner does not understand sport, or the concept of a man wanting to punish his body for a while, then relationship is full of tension, take her out an spoil her, and only ride with her on easy days when u can hang in and enjoy a great conversation you will be the better for it :-)

I ride with mine all the time. On a hill I keep her in sight, then turn around and go back down to where she is and repeat the process until we get to the top. If I try to ride at her pace I either get crapped on for talking to much, or fall off because we are going so slow.

Feel blessed she rides, i find with most friends and family, when your partner does not understand sport, or the concept of a man wanting to punish his body for a while, then relationship is full of tension, take her out an spoil her, and only ride with her on easy days when u can hang in and enjoy a great conversation you will be the better for it :-)

Yep use your easier gears and work on your spinning, or your big gear and keep the cadence low while STAYING behind her ALL the time

I ride with mine all the time. On a hill I keep her in sight, then turn around and go back down to where she is and repeat the process until we get to the top. If I try to ride at her pace I either get crapped on for talking to much, or fall off because we are going so slow.

Thats a good point, if she gets frustrated with your presence and apparent ease of effort while she is working hard, ask if its ok to ride ahead and come back for her.

There's the problem.

Ride with her is the operative word, not showing her how much slower she is than you.

Imagine if she was doing the "going uphill then back downhill with a couple of circles around my husband and then repeat the process"

How would you feel?

100%

and another reason you need to do that is that she won't ride with you anymore, otherwise she will feel that she's "keeping you back" or "slowing you down" not to mention that, at the moment, you don't want to ride WITH her at all. Rather, you're doing your own ride and justifying the time out by saying she was there with you, when in actual fact she's feeling deserted, and being forced to ride with nobody to keep her company... And it was your idea in the first place, which makes it even worse.

So yes, of course it's normal. She wants to ride with you, or rather, when you invite her for a ride, she wants you to be there with her to show her how it's done.

Trust me - I've done this with my wife as well.

Thats a good point, if she gets frustrated with your presence and apparent ease of effort while she is working hard, ask if its ok to ride ahead and come back for her.

Or make it clear that you're there for HER - it's not a training ride for you. Same when I play squash against my wife. She's a player for WP. I'm most definitely not. But, she plays down to me. I accept that if she were to play "properly" I'd never get a shot in edgeways, even if my ability to swop hands does freak her out substantially.

even if my ability to swop hands does freak her out substantially.

Haha, classic!

+1 on the rest of what you've said as well. It's all about "with" and not just "happen to be in the same vicinity doing the same thing".

Or make it clear that you're there for HER - it's not a training ride for you. Same when I play squash against my wife. She's a player for WP. I'm most definitely not. But, she plays down to me. I accept that if she were to play "properly" I'd never get a shot in edgeways, even if my ability to swop hands does freak her out substantially.

Agreed. You can't treat it as a training ride for you. It's got to be time you spend together. Ride next to her, or behind her, but never ahead.

Absolutely. And yes, we do all go up at different speeds, so there may be a time when you do pull away from her. If so, practice your track stands, or cycle back down to her and offer some sustenance, or stop 20m up the road and take out that banana/fruit bar that you had packed for the ride, and tell her you just wanted to have a bit of a stop and appreciate the view...

After all, ad MH says - it's about spending time with her.

Agreed. You can't treat it as a training ride for you. It's got to be time you spend together. Ride next to her, or behind her, but never ahead.

Sometimes that is unavoidable, but if it does happen, refer to the above.

I just finished a 90min ride with my wife...

The reason I ride with her is so that she gets the chance to improve as a cyclist. On days like this, it isn't about me.

Also, this is the only time I realy get to go slow(er) and just friggen enjoy the ride and spending time with my wife!

A ride with your wife should be just that: A ride! When the ride is over you can go out and race.

I just finished a 90min ride with my wife...

The reason I ride with her is so that she gets the chance to improve as a cyclist. On days like this, it isn't about me.

Also, this is the only time I realy get to go slow(er) and just friggen enjoy the ride and spending time with my wife!

A ride with your wife should be just that: A ride! When the ride is over you can go out and race.

Yep. On rides, I am the pack-horse, the puncture-fixxer-upperer, technical section guru, motivational speaker & general dogs body. But I do it, because she wants to learn, and it's a ride. Rides are fun.

Oh and I have to add that 3 years ago, my wiife was a newby and I felt like the OP...But today she is fast enough that even I can ride lekke in her slip!!! This I also think is because I did not push her and made her feel like a newby. I just let her develop at her own pace!!!