Bianchi spirit full 8700 vs Merida 96 vs Methanol H/T

W1Z@RD

Anyone know anything about this bike?

Seems its the only full sus Bianchi.

I currently ride a Merida 96 full sus and I'm quite happy with it, but have a thing for Bianchi and was wondering if it was worthwhile getting this bike and slowly upgrading this rather.

Or keep the Merida full sus and get a Bianchi methanol hard tail as an alternative.... But never ridden a hard tail so not sure if I would enjoy it or even need it as I'm no pro on a MTB

Any thoughts?

Keep the 96 and use the money you want to spend on the bianchi on your merida and upgrade it more if possible you will get your 96 as light as a hard tail

My 96'er is just over 10kg. Loving it.

WOW! How did you get that right? Mine is quite heavy but it's stock. I have the 1200 But wish I had bought the 3000

Must be honest, I was also a Bianchi fan, and bought a hardtail frame which I built my components over. After 3 hardish rides (the last one being the Emperors MTB race in 2010 - not that technical) the frame cracked. I had to wait for the replacement, so bought a Giant XTC frame as an interim. Needless to say, when the replacment Bianchi frame eventually arrived (6 months!), I sold it. After this year's Sani, I bought a Merida 96 3000D - sure it's a bit porky compared to the Giant, and I'm not sold yet on the Magura fork, but it's damn comfortable, feels like it will last forever, and climbs much better than the XTC (which I thought it wouldn't do.)

All I've done so far is an extra set of American Classic wheels for racing, a Thompson seatpost to replace the carbon one it came with, and a set of flat bars, and I changed the Magura levers to incorporate the BAT adjustment - I like a bit more bite in my brakes.

So far, it's really been a good buy.

I do still lust ater the Italian though ;-)

WOW! How did you get that right? Mine is quite heavy but it's stock. I have the 1200 But wish I had bought the 3000

I had to buy the bike as my old Scalpel (old design) broke just before Trans. It was a custom built with pretty decent parts on.

When I bought the 96 (http://www.merida-bi...X+Carbon+2000-D), I swopped out allot of parts with the parts I had on my Scalpel.

Swopped the wheels (Alex branded Merida Wheels) for my old set of American Classics (300g off).

Replaced the Reba RL with a SID RLT (250g off)

Replaced the FSA SL-K Carbon Bars with my Token Carbon bars (100g off).

Replaced the FSA SL-K Seatpost with a Momsen LB-Post (50g off)

Replaced the Avid Elixer 5's with my old set of Avid Juicy Ultimates (about 70g off). Also put a 160mm rotor on the front instead of the 180mm rotor. So lighter rotor, and less adapters required.

Replaced the Selle Italia SL XC saddle for an older Servas saddle (80g off)

Also running pretty light XPedo pedals, 272g.

That's all I can think of right now...

Edited by Azonic

I had to buy the bike as my old Scalpel (old design) broke just before Trans. It was a custom built with pretty decent parts on.

When I bought the 96 (http://www.merida-bi...X+Carbon+2000-D), I swopped out allot of parts with the parts I had on my Scalpel.

That's a full carbon frame right?

I quite like Merida, my first road bike was a Merida and now the MTB. I do enjoy riding it and I find it very comfortable. It ain't very light though...

Perhaps I will upgrade the wheels bars stem etc and when it's all upgraded, look at a full carbon frame. Works out more expensive, but it is fun!

For sure. I've been in the game for a while. They don't make really light bikes off the shelf these days. If you want something light you need to get something decent and then pimp it slowly.

For sure. I've been in the game for a while. They don't make really light bikes off the shelf these days. If you want something light you need to get something decent and then pimp it slowly.

OR, you could buy a lefty ;)

OR, you could buy a lefty ;)

Nah, will stick to Merida rather... If I can't get an Italian , I will keep my 96.... Never been a fan of american kit (even though my group set is :blush: )

Now to find wheels, let's start there.... Alex rims currently on must go as I imagine they very entry and heavy.

I have a pair ztr 355 with dt swiss 240 hubs . And dt swiss spokes . And the set weighs in at 1300g . And I love them . So get your self a nice pair of wheels it really makes a big difference