And this is why I love the western cape

headhunter2000

From my unprofessional, but enthusiastic, photography perspective it looks like there has definitely been some post shoot editing done there or else the use of HDR.

Def. But it sure looks tit, and I can't imagine he rides around with a D5 dangling around his neck!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Def. But it sure looks tit, and I can't imagine he rides around with a D5 dangling around his neck!

Unless he cheated and drove out there.... ;)

post-28653-0-07510500-1324566635.jpg

No Pics of the wonderfully clean City, The city of Durban has gone to shite, without a doubt. I'll be in the Cape Town tomorrow so will be able to compare and get back to you ;)

You mean 5D right?

This pic looks like a stitched iPhone panorama with psuedo HDR filter. I've a couple of Lightroom filters that do this as well. Always come out a bit too much contrast.

No Pics of the wonderfully clean City, The city of Durban has gone to shite, without a doubt. I'll be in the Cape Town tomorrow so will be able to compare and get back to you ;)

Rad, an objective opinion please. clinty will be calling you an emigrator though so careful.

Interestingly I have not seen one picture of Cape Town city in this thread... in fact most images seem to have been taken well out of the city.

I'm sorry but I don't buy into this pessimism. I hear it about the country as a whole ALL the time. People just regurgitate what they hear around them. They also have short memories and cannot actually remember what things used to be like but only remember good things. All cities have urban decay, it is part of the process of city growth. Certain areas decay while others thrive.

Are you honestly going to tell me that the beach front is worse than it was a few years ago? I have spent the last 25 years of my life down there, from my days surfing during school days, to now with my family and I can categorically state that it is better now. Unless of course you feel the fact that black people are now allowed on the beach makes it worse.... and we can choose other areas if you wish. We used to hang out at the Rift, St George's street. It is hardly a great area now but I can tell you straight out that it was not a great area in the 90's either, in fact I'd say it was worse!

Edited by Clint_ZA

Rad, an objective opinion please. clinty will be calling you an emigrator though so careful.

Been there, done that and came back to a filthy, stinking city. It was not like that when I left in 1998, fast forward 10 years and I walked past my old work in West Street, and it stank of pee, the streets were filthy, buildings in a state of disrepair, and people now squatting there.

Yes certain areas(beach) have been upgraded and improved , while the majority has gone to shite. I used to frequent a restaurant as a kid in Durban called the Tropicale, at the park near the Rift, I drove down there about 3 weeks ago just to have a look see, and lo and behold it to too seems to be a filthy mess, much like the rest of the city.

I love Durban, If I could live here for the rest of my life I would, but unfortunately Cape Town beckons.

Been there, done that and came back to a filthy, stinking city.

I love Durban, If I could live here for the rest of my life I would, but unfortunately Cape Town beckons.

Ha ha, there we go, you see, same story! ;)

Yes certain areas(beach) have been upgraded and improved , while the majority has gone to shite. I used to frequent a restaurant as a kid in Durban called the Tropicale, at the park near the Rift, I drove down there about 3 weeks ago just to have a look see, and lo and behold it to too seems to be a filthy mess, much like the rest of the city.

Unfortunately as a tourist in CT it is unlikely that I ever ventured into the worst areas, unlike you who was reminiscing and deliberately sought out these areas, but I would wager a bet that there are areas of CT that are degraded and run down.... if not then CT should be a global example of how a city should operate because, as pointed out, urban decay is part and parcel of a city's development.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Interestingly I have not seen one picture of Cape Town city in this thread... in fact most images seem to have been taken well out of the city.

I'm sorry but I don't buy into this pessimism. I hear it about the country as a whole ALL the time. People just regurgitate what they hear around them. They also have short memories and cannot actually remember what things used to be like but only remember good things. All cities have urban decay, it is part of the process of city growth. Certain areas decay while others thrive.

Are you honestly going to tell me that the beach front is worse than it was a few years ago? I have spent the last 25 years of my life down there, from my days surfing during school days, to now with my family and I can categorically state that it is better now. Unless of course you feel the fact that black people are now allowed on the beach makes it worse.... and we can choose other areas if you wish. We used to hang out at the Rift, St George's street. It is hardly a great area now but I can tell you straight out that it was not a great area in the 90's either, in fact I'd say it was worse!

oh dear, you are a mixed up little guy.

Nobody said anything about race, and by the way you like to generalise about "people" it seems you've got a few issue there clint. Seems like you think it's worse because of the blacks? This wasn't mentioned at all. In fact, when I was there 3 weeks ago, my better half and I saw a white trash little skolly selling drugs right out in the open. A cop car was parked a few meters away from there!

Let me put it to you this way. Cape Town is beautiful. The CBD is not in a state of decay. It is safe, clean and we the people use it all the time. We'll be taking a walk through the city now to eat dinner. Where you gonna do that in Durban? Buffet at the Hilton maybe? hahah, just don't walk outside. Tell you what clint, if you come and visit the CT I'll personally show you around. You're welcome.

Dbn has got one thing CT hasn't: The Bunny Chow!

Was just reading up about Buds on the Bay and they had a prawn bunny on their menu... made my mouth water! It's the same chaps who run Prawn Shak so it must be delicious.

For me there is one other very important aspect too. I surf. Give me a day at backline in baggies over a day in a 7mm full suit, with hoodie and booties, any day of the week.

Interestingly I have not seen one picture of Cape Town city in this thread

Maybe, just maybe, because the thread is actualy about the WESTERN CAPE, and not CPT city alone, and most of us cycle outside the city, NOT IN THE CBD. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wannabe

Maybe, just maybe, because the thread is actualy about the WESTERN CAPE, and not CPT city alone, and most of us cycle outside the city, NOT IN THE CBD. :rolleyes:

I am fully aware of that. Maybe you should take note of the post I was responding to...

Aware that you responded to Caerus's post. Just started to degenerate into a slanging match about the cities, while the thread topic is about the Western Cape. Like I said, even the city slickers cycle outside the CBD, so there is no reason to post pics of it, if it is not where we cycle.

So lets stick to the topic please. If you like, you can counter with pics of your cycling in Giga, in the sugarcane plantations on the North Coast, your cycling in the South Coast, etc. You get my drift? :D

edit: Giba, not Giga.

Edited by Wannabe