Giba Gorge Blue

KenG

There is no way that's going to happen while there is no paint on the walls... I will have to stick to verge crawling for now I am affraid and go do some killer pavement drop offs :lol:

Pay it off at R79/ month then. You go twice and you have already made a saving within a month.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all worth it in the end!! We are extending and DIY building for me wasn't the way to go. I don't mind small projrects like building a braai or a water feature but structural stuff I leave up to those that know what they are doing and that is where the expense comes in unfortunately. If you are handy around the house, you can save a fortune!!

Hell yeah...

Structural stuff is in my blood. We (my oldies and I) built their garage and did all the extensions at their place. But I know what yoy mean about getting the right people in.

I want to knock down a few walls in my place to make the ground floor more open plan (kitchen is an enclosed room atm) but I need to get a structural engineer and my plans in here to see which walls are load bearing. Then I'll get the guys to pop up a steel I-Beam to support the upper level, and bob is your mother's brother.

Also need to build a lean-to outside for all my tools. But that's not structural, so no need for planning permission or anything.

then, then, then... the list goes on!

yup im in the market for a house now...

as much as i want a house i cant help but think how much of my 'fun' will be taken away when the lack of funds becomes apparent

as much as i want a house i cant help but think how much of my 'fun' will be taken away when the lack of funds becomes apparent

Your old fun gets replaced by new fun and if you do it right, you can still keep some of your old fun. As long as you still have the toys, you just need to find the time to use them.

Lemme say this now - It's worth it, dude. Especially now, especially in Durbs. House prices there now are DISGUSTINGLY low. I couldn't believe how low houses are going for now. I mean, big houses. Going for next to buggerall. If I could afford a 2nd house, I'd buy there no question, and just let it out. Unfortunately in the letting game there are other costs such as rates/water/rental agents that need to be factored in, so from that standpoint I'll only be able to do that in the next, say, 5 years or so.

But the feeling of owning your own place and not having to ask someone if you want to put a picture up, or paint a room a different colour or plant different trees is, quite frankly, fantastic.

Your old fun gets replaced by new fun and if you do it right, you can still keep some of your old fun. As long as you still have the toys, you just need to find the time to use them.

Yeah. My old fun used to be clubbing etc. Now it's braaing at home, and doing little projects to enhance my living pleasure. And, tbh, I'm having more fun doing the new fun than I ever had doing the old fun. And yes, you wear your clothes for slightly longer, or forego a meal out or 2 per month. But that's not the point... have a look amongst your mates now, and then again in 5 years time. You'll thank yourself stukkend for buying a place now instead of 5 years from now, when the worries will, most probably, have only multiplied.

yeah im super keen, the time is right, just waiting for the right house and then to go beg the bank for a bond haha.

always been a DIY guy so will be nice to have a house as a project :clap:

Rode this morning out to summerveld and back to giba, finishing off with the blue route. Riding the one section in reverse is bit of waste of an awesome downhill though but does link up nicely with the waterfall route. Might be an idea to reverse that entire route. Other than that the trails are in superb condition, absolute pleasure ridding there!

Tommy, I think what you are saying is exactly what I was thinking after ridign there yesterday ...

The new jumps and tabletops are great if you like that sort of thing and whoever built them has done a great job.

But why also make it so you can only go up the lower Bizhub section. The new entrance to the lower Bizhub with the climb up is (IMO) a waste of good trail. Why not leave the old link as it is and then at the T junction you can choose to go left or right. Left takes you down what I thought was a great section which eventually joins back to Gravity -- people can choose the jumps or the single track down (coming up that section past the old house is just another climb while it is fun going the other way).

Right at the T Junction will take you to the new Bizhub to the Waterfall without the schlepp of having to climb to it. I also think you are going to get people who want to use the Waterfall route to simply using the old link to get to there (and by the look of the tracks they are already doing that).

Just my thoughts

Tommy, I think what you are saying is exactly what I was thinking after ridign there yesterday ...

The new jumps and tabletops are great if you like that sort of thing and whoever built them has done a great job.

But why also make it so you can only go up the lower Bizhub section. The new entrance to the lower Bizhub with the climb up is (IMO) a waste of good trail. Why not leave the old link as it is and then at the T junction you can choose to go left or right. Left takes you down what I thought was a great section which eventually joins back to Gravity -- people can choose the jumps or the single track down (coming up that section past the old house is just another climb while it is fun going the other way).

Right at the T Junction will take you to the new Bizhub to the Waterfall without the schlepp of having to climb to it. I also think you are going to get people who want to use the Waterfall route to simply using the old link to get to there (and by the look of the tracks they are already doing that).

Just my thoughts

Hey guys

As the trail builder this was the vision.

1. To extend the Bizhub trail so you get more for your money.

2. The white house trail was initially cut as an up trail but guys just started riding it down before signage was made.

3. The park is trying to expose the SA riding community to a little of what the international trail offer.

4. We were trying to make it that ALL the trails get utilised. The old gravity that now has the jumps on it was hardly being ridden as everyone was just going straight and turning left onto bizhub. Now all 3 of the trails are used in one go.

HOWEVER. Please feel free to voice your opinions to Jason or Jethro at Giba Gorge as they ultimately make the decisions.

If you guys want the link opened again please feel free to chat to Jason and I'm sure he'll see what he can do.

Cheers

Nige

Hey guys

As the trail builder this was the vision.

1. To extend the Bizhub trail so you get more for your money.

2. The white house trail was initially cut as an up trail but guys just started riding it down before signage was made.

3. The park is trying to expose the SA riding community to a little of what the international trail offer.

4. We were trying to make it that ALL the trails get utilised. The old gravity that now has the jumps on it was hardly being ridden as everyone was just going straight and turning left onto bizhub. Now all 3 of the trails are used in one go.

HOWEVER. Please feel free to voice your opinions to Jason or Jethro at Giba Gorge as they ultimately make the decisions.

If you guys want the link opened again please feel free to chat to Jason and I'm sure he'll see what he can do.

Cheers

Nige

Thanks ... I understand your thought processes better and it makes sense. I was not having a go at you, just voicing (typing) my thoughts.

I guess it is a case of either being able to ride all the trails (down Gravity, up "white house", down Bizhub to Waterfall) or people having a choice of one of three options at the Link (down Gravity, or down "white house" or down Bizhub to waterfall). My option would be the latter -- but that is simply MY opinion and it will be interesting to see what others prefer.

BTW, I think you guys who maintain and build trails need medals. It is easy for the likes of me to be critical after enjoying the fruits of your labours, so thanks for all your work.

Thanks ... I understand your thought processes better and it makes sense. I was not having a go at you, just voicing (typing) my thoughts.

I guess it is a case of either being able to ride all the trails (down Gravity, up "white house", down Bizhub to Waterfall) or people having a choice of one of three options at the Link (down Gravity, or down "white house" or down Bizhub to waterfall). My option would be the latter -- but that is simply MY opinion and it will be interesting to see what others prefer.

BTW, I think you guys who maintain and build trails need medals. It is easy for the likes of me to be critical after enjoying the fruits of your labours, so thanks for all your work.

Hey Tim

No worries mate - i certainly dont take offense to guys opinions ... actually its great to hear them as constructive criticism can only help make better trails. Personally i agree with your idea as i also liked the route past the White House as a down. But after discussing it with Jason it made sense to link them all to get continued use of the trails. BUT as usual all the riders who think that Giba owes them something for riding there continue to do their own thing and go straight to the t junction and onto bizhub. (only in africa! :unsure: ... these are likely the same guys who ignore trail directional arrows and ride trails the wrong way, but thats a WHOLE other kettle of fish!)

Just so you know the guys who built and maintain that new trail are volunteers (DH/trail riders mostly as they always willing to grab a spade and come help) ... but if you read some earlier posts on here we are going to get a thing together with the guys on here and have a couple of trail build days where we can go fix up some sections of Bizhub or any other trails you feel needs a berm or a better corner or what-not. So keep tabs and we'd love to have you come help for a Sat when its planned.

Nige

managed to get there this weekend for a quick run down. good fun run, got a bit lost at first and did a fair amount of hiking

couldn't get a shuttle up as everyone was too busy with the bmx track.

yes some of the jumps are a little short. one of the small ski jumps almost had me in a tree, which i didn't even realize but my friend pointed this out to me, he said it was a very close call...

the one section, has a long 'smooth' downhill and you come with quite a bit of speed into a slight corner that has a small table top around them bend.

i was a ball hair short of binning it here as i managed to balance along the edge of the landing and maintained over some rocks and a small berm, my friend behind me was not so lucky. he came over the edge and there is a bit of concrete wall on the side which he hit and sent him flying down onto his back on some rocks. obviously next time we go we will bare this in mind but it is a bit dangerous considering the speed you come down.

otherwise good fun, still lacks some markings i guess but we managed to find it eventually

managed to get there this weekend for a quick run down. good fun run, got a bit lost at first and did a fair amount of hiking

couldn't get a shuttle up as everyone was too busy with the bmx track.

yes some of the jumps are a little short. one of the small ski jumps almost had me in a tree, which i didn't even realize but my friend pointed this out to me, he said it was a very close call...

the one section, has a long 'smooth' downhill and you come with quite a bit of speed into a slight corner that has a small table top around them bend.

i was a ball hair short of binning it here as i managed to balance along the edge of the landing and maintained over some rocks and a small berm, my friend behind me was not so lucky. he came over the edge and there is a bit of concrete wall on the side which he hit and sent him flying down onto his back on some rocks. obviously next time we go we will bare this in mind but it is a bit dangerous considering the speed you come down.

otherwise good fun, still lacks some markings i guess but we managed to find it eventually

YIP thats the one table that i have to remove! unfortunately the world cup has taken preference for a couple of weeks but after March 18th i will sort all that out.

YIP thats the one table that i have to remove! unfortunately the world cup has taken preference for a couple of weeks but after March 18th i will sort all that out.

hahaha so i was right in saying i wouldnt take head and hit it full pace.

maybe should just get someone to throw a temp caution sign up there for now,

thanfully no major issues, a bit of moaning and then a good chuckle afterwards and all was well