Giba Gorge Blue

KenG

My opinion.... as long as they don't go putting jumps on every stretch of downhilll trail! I really used to enjoying the fast sweeping bends at the bottom of the blue trail but now there are jumps every few metres so the fast sweeping bends are no longer fun for me. Some may be jumpers but I am not. I personally think they should have allowed riders to miss the jumps altogether by having a flat path for those who prefer sweeping down the hills.

Giba needs to remember that there are all types who are members there and should avoiding catering to just one group.

Edited by Clint_ZA

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im a jumper. my friend however is not, but he managed to get through without airing anything and loved it, whereas i aired everything and cleared all, over cleared a few. following each other at same speed.

in saying that, i would really love a nice long fast flowy downhill, nice berms etc winding its way down the trail

My opinion.... as long as they don't go putting jumps on every stretch of downhilll trail! I really used to enjoying the fast sweeping bends at the bottom of the blue trail but now there are jumps every few metres so the fast sweeping bends are no longer fun for me. Some may be jumpers but I am not. I personally think they should have allowed riders to miss the jumps altogether by having a flat path for those who prefer sweeping down the hills.

Giba needs to remember that there are all types who are members there and should avoiding catering to just one group.

All groups are catered for.Thats why they have "Baby Steps" The Blue Route is a more technical route then the rest, for more experienced riders, don't forget that ;)

As Geecee pointed out, just don't jump them and take it slower. I'went down the first time and hardly jumped anything.

Edited by Caerus

As pointed out all groups should be catered for. The fact I am not a jumper does not mean I am limited to baby steps. Some of us prefer to get our thrills from fast sweeping bends rather than jumps. Each to their own. Just because you prefer one thing doesn't mean we all do so as stated I'd prefer if they didn't put jumps on every fast downhill section...

As pointed out all groups should be catered for. The fact I am not a jumper does not mean I am limited to baby steps. Some of us prefer to get our thrills from fast sweeping bends rather than jumps. Each to their own. Just because you prefer one thing doesn't mean we all do so as stated I'd prefer if they didn't put jumps on every fast downhill section...

They are, you can't please everyone though, the route is the way it is because its the most "technical" route. It's also all down to budget and the staff to do it. Just learn to jump ;) or think of it as an oversized speedbump

I see with you Caerus it is my way or no way. Fair enough.

Your cost and budget argument did make me snigger.... leaving it as it was would surely have cost less?

I see with you Caerus it is my way or no way. Fair enough.

Your cost and budget argument did make me snigger.... leaving it as it was would surely have cost less?

Snigger all you want, its down to cost. Simple as that. Maybe see if you can ask Bizhub for some more sponsership money to add the flat sections. They paid for it, so I'm pretty sure they built how they wanted it.

Has the route not been improved?

You cannot accomodate everyone I'm afraid

As made quite clear by myself in my first post on this topic, I was merely adding my opinion. I would not want to see jumps on every available downhill section. If enough "jumpers" made noise then Giba may make an assumption that this is what most riders wanted. A jump adds absolutely no value for me personally. I prefer free flowing trails so I would prefer not to see jumps all over the place.

In my opinion, no it has not been improved with the addition of jumps but we all have different desires.

I'd be interested to find out whether Bizhub did in fact specify what they wanted or whether they merely put money into a trail for naming rights and advertising. I personally have no idea.

Edited by Clint_ZA

I agree to a certain extent with both Clint_ZA and Caerus. There should be an "out" option for anything that can be classed as uber technical. Even if you can jump, there should be a "chicken run" option around each obstacle as in MTB races and DH courses just in case you line it up wrong... Just saying. I am all for the jumps but not everybody can jump everything. Another option is to spend a bit of time in the skills park to learn how to tackle all terrain.

I suppose you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I agree to a certain extent with both Clint_ZA and Caerus. There should be an "out" option for anything that can be classed as uber technical. Even if you can jump, there should be a "chicken run" option around each obstacle as in MTB races and DH courses just in case you line it up wrong... Just saying. I am all for the jumps but not everybody can jump everything. Another option is to spend a bit of time in the skills park to learn how to tackle all terrain.

I suppose you can't please all of the people all of the time.

There should be an "out" option for anything that can be classed as uber technical. Even if you can jump, there should be a "chicken run" option around each obstacle

That's the thing with the cost argument. The flat trail was there already and the jumps had to be built. Most of them are fairly wide jumps so they could have been made a little smaller and built more to one side and the "chicken run" could have been left at no additional cost.

Anyway I like the section of the new trail past the broken down white house. I also love the Cat (?) trail as it still provides those fast swooping bends I enjoy. There is still definitely something for everyone but I just don't want to see them ruining all the trails with jump overkill.

As made quite clear by myself in my first post on this topic, I was merely adding my opinion. I would not want to see jumps on every available downhill section. If enough "jumpers" made noise then Giba may make an assumption that this is what most riders wanted. A jump adds absolutely no value for me personally. I prefer free flowing trails so I would prefer not to see jumps all over the place.

In my opinion, no it has not been improved with the addition of jumps but we all have different desires.

I'd be interested to find out whether Bizhub did in fact specify what they wanted or whether they merely put money into a trail for naming rights and advertising. I personally have no idea.

Sniggering at other peoples opinions is not they way to go about it either. Cost is the major factor in anything that happens at Giba, they are not money making machines, and yes maybe they could add some flat sections maybe they are still to be added, which will cost money.

Of all the trails at Giba, there is very little in the way of jumps and runs for the Downhill/ AM or Trail riders, lets not have them all for just the XC riders like yourself, as suggested, learn to ride the jumps, who knows you may love it.

There are plenty of trails at Giba that will give you what you are looking for, like I said, you can't design something with everyone in mind, this aint Whistler.

Edited by Caerus

there are sections to ride it to the side,or chicken runs,none of my riding buddies have complained about it,in fact they all liked it,cant see why the jumps are a problem,there is loads of other track to suit all.

now now kids. :P

i think clint just says dont build jumps into every downhill section. one trail is enough.

im very glad some jumps were added to this particular trail as it suits it.

im sure in time more trails will be developed that can the cater for more specific needs

now now kids. :P

i think clint just says dont build jumps into every downhill section. one trail is enough.

im very glad some jumps were added to this particular trail as it suits it.

im sure in time more trails will be developed that can the cater for more specific needs

I think they already have enough variation, now with the added jumps there is even more. :clap: Either I have missed them, but I can't recall too many other section/ trails in Giba that have jumps.

Edited by Caerus

*Snip* this aint Whistler.

If only... A chairlift to the top of the hill would be nice! Hey Nige, you listening?