price of new Zipp 404 firecrest clincher

wapad

what can one expect to pay for a new set and are there any hubbers looking to flog off to serious buyer

I use Ritchey protocols which I thought were great until a bike shop lent me a set of Zipps for a week absolutely unbelievable on my new BH RC 1

to be fair I dont care what anyone says about ritchey although quite a mission to get properly serviced 3 bike shops couldnt get it right .. Thanks Clarkie

But Zipps wow ..

They've dropped about R3k since two weeks ago cursing.gif

And this one's wrong too.

Edited by Edman

R 15 500 isn't for the Firecrest Wheels! Firecrests will be around R 19k

Are you sure? The description and the photos both imply Firecrest.

I paid just under R18k two weeks ago, so I'd be comforted if that is wrong.

Edit: wrong price

Edited by Edman

Check on the Zipp Website. I just ordered an 808 and 404 front. Firecrests are quite a bit more ( and faster) than the normal Zipps.

I think you may be right. I did some more digging and these are the proper Firecrests:

http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/wheels-road/zipp/zipp-firecrest-404-full-carbon-clincher-front-wheel-zipp.html

http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/wheels-road/zipp/zipp-firecrest-404-full-carbon-clincher-rear-wheel-zipp.html

R19k for the set is till cheaper than most other internet stores, just not as cheap. Buycycle may run into some CPA problems with the incorrect descriptions of the other wheels, though.

they are firecrest, sorry Edman.

It says firecrest all over the place.

So do the ones I posted biggrin.gif. They even have a picture of a Firecrest:

http://www.buycycle.co.za/images/detailed/8/Zipp_404CarbonClincher_Front.jpg

But I do agree with the two of you that it's probably an incorrect listing and the real FCs are closer to R19k.

Ya, Buycycle aren't the best with their pics.

Had to triple check with them before I ordered a set of wheels that I was getting a)clinchers, b)alu braking surfaces.

Ya, Buycycle aren't the best with their pics.

Had to triple check with them before I ordered a set of wheels that I was getting a)clinchers, b)alu braking surfaces.

wow what have I started that is quite pricey I was also looking at Corima Aero+ but maybe in the long run a set of Zipps is a Good "investment" if you can call it that

and I'll be thinking should have ..

wow what have I started that is quite pricey I was also looking at Corima Aero+ but maybe in the long run a set of Zipps is a Good "investment" if you can call it that

and I'll be thinking should have ..

Dude, if you're going deep sections then Zipps are the way to go.

They're renowned for being light and fast.

They are pricey, but they'll be worth it.

In fact, I'll even do some powertests for you with them to show you how they reduce effort at the same speed.

It'll only be a week or so :P

But if you have the cash then they're the way to go :thumbup:

Dude, if you're going deep sections then Zipps are the way to go.

They're renowned for being light and fast.

They are pricey, but they'll be worth it.

In fact, I'll even do some powertests for you with them to show you how they reduce effort at the same speed.

But if you have the cash then they're the way to go :thumbup:

what about the difference between firecrest and the normal zipp clincher I know the weights are quite different but must admit would would have liked the full carbon clincher as in the firecrest

still worth it

From the Zipp site:

http://www.zipp.com/_media/images/dynamicproducts/404_drag_chart.gif

Firecrests (2011 404) have lower drag than the older shape (404 2009). The current alu clinchers will have drag numbers that are roughly the same or slightly worse than the 2009 404 shape.

Head-on, there's not much difference. At 10° yaw angle (claimed by Zipp to be the most common one), FCs will save about 5W at 48km/h. In higher cross winds like 15° (13km/h cross), FCs will save you 11W.

If you're feeling inspired, have a look at the virtual elevation method:

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/cda/indirect-cda.pdf

It should give you much better results and saves the bother of having to try and hold a constant speed. It also gives a way to estimate rolling resistance.

I plan to do some comprehensive rolling resistance and aero testing once I've finished my thesis.