price of new Zipp 404 firecrest clincher

wapad

If you're feeling inspired, have a look at the virtual elevation method:

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/cda/indirect-cda.pdf

It should give you much better results and saves the bother of having to try and hold a constant speed. It also gives a way to estimate rolling resistance.

I plan to do some comprehensive rolling resistance and aero testing once I've finished my thesis.

I think holding the same speed will be harder.

But holding the same HR will be easy up a steady climb, then one would see going faster with the same HR/Power, it's just that power changes every pedal stroke so it's hard to keep it constant on a climb.

Thats much easier than seeing less HR for the same speed, just changing the variables.

Dude, if you're going deep sections then Zipps are the way to go.

They're renowned for being light and fast.

They are pricey, but they'll be worth it.

In fact, I'll even do some powertests for you with them to show you how they reduce effort at the same speed.

It'll only be a week or so :P

But if you have the cash then they're the way to go :thumbup:

HED stingers are faster than zipps. And why in the world would you want to go for a clincher?????????

HED stingers are faster than zipps. And why in the world would you want to go for a clincher?????????

Some people don't have a backup vehicle on their morning rides/races.

Which is the main issue.

Sure hope you not training with tubbies. But racing with tubbies vs. clinchers is a no brainer, if you are going to spend so much cash on a set of wheels and you are goiing to worry about getting a flat during a race that is something I could never understand. If you flat out in a race whether you are on a tubby or a clincher then it is in any case race over for you if you are that serious. No way you are going to change a flat and get back onto the pack when they are 2km down the road. Phone a friend in that situation.

Other reasons I have heard are tubbies are too expensive, it is like saying I want my BMW M3 but I can't afford the services.

Edited by The_Break

I understand and for racing when you get a flat you're out.

But with clinchers at least you can finish the race.

When I race the league I usually have a back up vehicle, so now I just gotta find me some tubbies :lol:

And why in the world would you want to go for a clincher?????????

Because then you can have your bike look like this on every single ride! No matter what training wheels or normal low profile clinchers you put on, it will never look as cool as this:

post-4352-0-09236700-1325348656.jpg

Slap some Grand Prix 4000 on these and you wont be able to tell they are clinchers without very very close inspection:

post-4352-0-28387000-1325348711.jpg

404 Firecrest Clincher 1,561 grams per set

404 Firecrest Tubular 1,282 grams per set

That is 279 gram difference ... so unless you are a racing Elite or Sub Vet ... the question should be ... why wont you get 404 Firecrest Clinchers? ;)

Sure hope you not training with tubbies. But racing with tubbies vs. clinchers is a no brainer, if you are going to spend so much cash on a set of wheels and you are goiing to worry about getting a flat during a race that is something I could never understand. If you flat out in a race whether you are on a tubby or a clincher then it is in any case race over for you if you are that serious. No way you are going to change a flat and get back onto the pack when they are 2km down the road. Phone a friend in that situation.

When you're doing a four day race like the Panorama Tour, it would really suck that you can't finish the next three days because you flatted 20km into the first stage on the first day. Or if you lost 20min waiting for the neutral support car vs. 5min changing a tyre.

On what do you base that claim? The only aero data I've found directly comparing Stingers and Zipps is on the HED site and is based on the previous generation Zipp wheels (and also appears to be three years old). Extrapolation from that data using more current data from Zipp and Tour Magazine shows them to perform roughly the same.

http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

I'll take a set of either the stingers/404's/808's or anything to form my own opinion with the help of power.

If someone wants to lend me a set :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

This is da bomb...

808s, baby!

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/02/01/1/sram_red13_bike_600.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at Zipp 404 Max Clincher. Thinking of this option as has higher max weight capability for everyday use.

Will be used on a Cervelo R3

Can anyone offer some valuable guidance if they have owned/used this wheel