ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

I hope you guys get a day like today....it is a beautiful day for outdoor events, little wind and no clouds. About 18-20 degrees. We had winds of 70 km/h over the weekends

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Duathlon, mtb and swimming

Of i go to Knysna Lagoon to train for the swim part, maybe i will phone Chad for a few pointers.

Hi, can anyone give me some advice about packing for various checkpoints.. Ideally I'd like to change into a dry pair of bibs but not sure where the river crossings are and don't really want to carry them. Unless of course I just leave a pair in each box..

Food wise - how well catered is it? I've heard you don't really need to bring any food (apart from liquid supplements).

Thanks.

Hi, can anyone give me some advice about packing for various checkpoints.. Ideally I'd like to change into a dry pair of bibs but not sure where the river crossings are and don't really want to carry them. Unless of course I just leave a pair in each box..

Food wise - how well catered is it? I've heard you don't really need to bring any food (apart from liquid supplements).

Thanks.

Epic fail in the making...

For tips, start by reading the previous 20 pages,

Epic fail in the making...

How or why so?

I searched for "tip" within this thread and only found one.

A tip... get a buff to cover your mouth and nose. I ride with mine all the time. If you see a ninja on the bike, its me. It helps hugely to keep cold air out of the lungs and off your neck. And with that, I'm sure it helps avoid getting colds because you're not bombarding your lungs with icy air. Its pointless having all kinds of leg warmers, arm warmers, jackets, toe warmers etc etc etc, if your face is melting off and going numb from the cold. I've got a Merrell one, they sell them at NH for R100.

I need help; my wife was part of a team, but both her team mates are ill and dropped out.

Does anyone know of the team that she can join. Please inbox me. She was aiming for 14hours

How or why so?

I searched for "tip" within this thread and only found one.

A tip... get a buff to cover your mouth and nose. I ride with mine all the time. If you see a ninja on the bike, its me. It helps hugely to keep cold air out of the lungs and off your neck. And with that, I'm sure it helps avoid getting colds because you're not bombarding your lungs with icy air. Its pointless having all kinds of leg warmers, arm warmers, jackets, toe warmers etc etc etc, if your face is melting off and going numb from the cold. I've got a Merrell one, they sell them at NH for R100.

This will be my 6th Trans. I missed a few in the middle. My 1st one was an epic fail, we all need to have one to figure out what to do. And don't just search for the word "tip", allot has been said that did not include that word.

This will be my 6th Trans. I missed a few in the middle. My 1st one was an epic fail, we all need to have one to figure out what to do. And don't just search for the word "tip", allot has been said that did not include that word.

Ok perhaps I should rephrase my questions since I'm not looking for the bible on long distance cycling:

- Does anyone know where the major rivers/portages are so I can get an idea of where it makes sense to leave a clean pair of shorts.

- What food is provided by the organisers. The only mention of food I can find on their website is "Food and sustenance at checkpoints are free for cyclists only, support drivers are allowed to buy from the vendors."

I am not sure on the river crossings since I have only done the Langs Baviaans and there was only one real river crossing.

With regards to food... it was as follow...

CP1 : Roosterkoek and Syrup

CP2 : Sosaties, Boerewors etc.

CP3 : Soup

CP4 : Chiprolls

CP5 : Jaffels

CP6 : Unmanned so no food....

Every checkpoint had water, coffee and coke.

Hope that helps :)

- Does anyone know where the major rivers/portages are so I can get an idea of where it makes sense to leave a clean pair of shorts.

As far as I know, there will be a relatively long water stretch just before Bergplaas (MAC). Its pretty rocky do you won't want to ride through this one, and it should be pretty deep anyway. Be sure of your footing, someone bust an ankle there in a previous year - we walked past her where the water ends. Then there will be a water crossing at the foot of Never Ender climb. At the top is a checkpoint, but with it being not even 20km from the end you won't want to stop here for socks, you just push to the finish.

- What food is provided by the organisers. The only mention of food I can find on their website is "Food and sustenance at checkpoints are free for cyclists only, support drivers are allowed to buy from the vendors."

PO-TA-TO. Some checkpoints have roosterbrood, small chocolates, and drinks. Depending whether a sports drink manufacturer sponsored a checkpoint, you might even be given a free gel but don't count on it.

Ok perhaps I should rephrase my questions since I'm not looking for the bible on long distance cycling:

We normally change at the last checkpoint before the never ender, some guys change at Bergplaas. I do believe that we will get wet crossing onto the Never ender so I think dry shorts are not going to happen.I always carry my own food but you can eat up a storm if you so desire. Braai,flap jacks . My wife will feed us at the checkpoint before the Never ender.

I cant seem to remember going trough a water crossing on the base of Neverender last year or did we skip this with the Langs Baviaans route?

I cant seem to remember going trough a water crossing on the base of Neverender last year or did we skip this with the Langs Baviaans route?

Yup , you guys skipped the start.