ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

also i am looking for accommodation (yeah i know its late) for the friday. any one selling?

How many people?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Skywalker1

Are you a 2 man team entry?

Where are you based?

What sort of pace do you ride at?

I'm pretty keen but I would need to be sure we are at very similar levels.

Personal message sent....

Plenty of hubbering taking place with plenty of speculation on which route the ASG Trans Baviaans will follow this year. Well, after visiting the Baviaanskloof this past weekend we can now officially declare the following: The route through the Baviaanskloof is perfect. Deepest river crossing is just below knee high and if the Willowmore/Joubertina area does not receive 80mm or more rainfall in a single incident (24 hour period) then the river levels will not be affected. See a video update of the road conditions on youtube or on our facebook page. In summary, the 2012 ASG Trans Baviaans will follow the original route through the Baviaanskloof. The finish venue in Jeffreys Bay has moved to the Jeffreys Bay Primary school sports grounds as Kabeljouws Holiday Resort has closed down. See you there!!

Edited by EcoBound MTB Events

Just two questions for Ecobound - Assuming we go THROUGH and not around how do you envisage getting your medical and other support personnel through with these levels of water? Whilst one doesn't mind roughing it up a bit I would like to know that there is some safety and support structures in place which will not come unstuck due to the current conditions. The second question, taking current weather predictions into consideration, is when will Ecobound finally decide on the route?

Just two questions for Ecobound - Assuming we go THROUGH and not around how do you envisage getting your medical and other support personnel through with these levels of water? Whilst one doesn't mind roughing it up a bit I would like to know that there is some safety and support structures in place which will not come unstuck due to the current conditions. The second question, taking current weather predictions into consideration, is when will Ecobound finally decide on the route?

I can not talk for Ecobound but the roads are fine at the moment. There will be no problems with medical and support personal. The water at the deepest is just above knee height. We had no problems this week end.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can not talk for Ecobound but the roads are fine at the moment. There will be no problems with medical and support personal. The water at the deepest is just above knee height. We had no problems this week end.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. IMO it would be more difficult getting support on the 'Langs' route than through a few knee-high water crossings. Personally I'm feeling rather relieved at this news...

The Youtube video did scare me though :unsure:

I agree. IMO it would be more difficult getting support on the 'Langs' route than through a few knee-high water crossings. Personally I'm feeling rather relieved at this news...

The Youtube video did scare me though :unsure:

One thing is for sure, we are certainly packing a few extra pairs of socks! Blue frozen toes are definitely no fun!

One thing is for sure, we are certainly packing a few extra pairs of socks! Blue frozen toes are definitely no fun!

Nou dat jy op die topic is - watter sokkies pak julle in? Dis eerste van my wat koudkry!! Het gehoor van die sealskinz sokkies wat "waterdig" is, maar is dit die geld werd? Enige raad vir sokkies sal help, of moet ek maar weer Spar sakke om die voete draai? :blush:

Nou dat jy op die topic is - watter sokkies pak julle in? Dis eerste van my wat koudkry!! Het gehoor van die sealskinz sokkies wat "waterdig" is, maar is dit die geld werd? Enige raad vir sokkies sal help, of moet ek maar weer Spar sakke om die voete draai? :blush:

Well I'm taking 2 pairs of sealskinz with, and I think I will take an extra 2 pairs of regular socks. If the river crossings are knee high, I don't see any socks preventing us from getting wet.

Well I'm taking 2 pairs of sealskinz with, and I think I will take an extra 2 pairs of regular socks. If the river crossings are knee high, I don't see any socks preventing us from getting wet.

where to buy sealskinz sox?

where to buy sealskinz sox?

From the Sealskinz SA website:

PLEASE NOTE: SEALSKINZ SOCKS OFFICES ARE CLOSED FROM 4 AUGUST 2012 TO 26 AUGUST 2012. ALL SEALSKINZ SOCKS ORDERS PLACED DURING THIS PERIOD WILL ONLY BE DISPATCHED AFTER THIS TIME PERIOD. It is best to order sealskinz socks after the 26 August 2012.

That sucks.... I was going to try and get some this week

That's bad planning on their behalf. This would probably have been their best sale month this year.

Last year many people took their socks and shoes of going trough the stream at the bottom of Grootrivier pass.But guess that this year their are too many crossings so the only way is to get wet and wet again