JOBURG FIXED GEAR

diehonest

Hi there everyone i have just moved to joburg and after lots of procrastination i have bought myself an old hansom super prestige that i want to turn into a hot looking fixie so firstly i want to meet other fixed gear riders, do you go to critical mass or not if so do you ever meet or anything? also whats the difference between fixed gear and single speed cos i was under the impression they were the same thing sorry for my cluelessness i am new and will admit to knowing nothing hence why i want to meet people who know their ****! any help info tips etc will be greatly appreciated!

post-29792-0-25268100-1325657134.jpg

Fixed Gear has no freewheel... you can't stop pedaling.

Single speed has only 1 gear with a freewheel for ...well freewheeling.

Shoe fetish?

thanks man so then mine is a singlespeed oh and yeah you could say sneaker collecting is something i partake in!

hi DieHonest welcome to jhb and to the fixie nation.yeah a slight diffrence between single speed and fixie. simply fixed gear bikes cant free.to get a good idea what fixie is all about visit sheldon brown.for awesome ideas into what you can do to your bike to make it look awesomeness. visit fixed gear gallery.you might be able to spot both mine and DiverNicks bikes on there both completed last year. but be warned there are over 13000 bikes on there. as to riding them at criticall mass would love to but unfortantly i have a work related function friday nights that i cannot avoid but would love to do it. or do a NY styled bike messenger race . kinda like lucas videos.where abouts in jhb are you located

Edited by tedibear

hi DieHonestwelcome to jhb and to the fixie nation.yeah a slight diffrence between single speed and fixie. simply fixed gear bikes cant free.to get a good idea what fixie is all about visit sheldon brown.for awesome ideas into what you can do to your bike to make it look awesomeness. visit fixed gear gallery.you might be able to spot both mine and DiverNicks bikes on there both completed last year. but be warned there are over 13000 bikes on there. as to riding them at criticall mass would love to but unfortantly i have a work related function friday nights that i cannot avoid but would love to do it. or do a NY styled bike messenger race . kinda like lucas videos.where abouts in jhb are you located

shot for all the info at the moment im in main street life in jeppe but will be moving to northcliff in a month i love the city but i work from home and the construction is doing my head in!

Not a FIXIE or SS, but thought i'd add a pic of my classic 1992 Hansom Super Prestige with Reynolds 525 tubing.

post-21394-0-31324600-1326270377.jpg

With some new wheels, handlebars & saddle your bike will look supremely 80s awesome with the paint job, but you'll have to start listening to Depeche Mode.

Turning a road bike into a fixie is, as far as I've been told by my LBs who does these things, not a good idea because the BB is lower and the pedals can catch the ground on turns. Single speed is better. A fixie, properly, should be a track bike.

There's a thread for Joburg Critical Mass, but you'll have to search for it yourself because I'm too lazy today and I've expended all my energy writing this post.

Not a FIXIE or SS, but thought i'd add a pic of my classic 1992 Hansom Super Prestige with Reynolds 525 tubing.

Nice Ted!

• 3 weeks later...

Critical Mass

27 January, 18:30-21:30

Where:Dunkeld Parking Lot, cnr Jan Smuts & Bompas,Dunkeld

Details: Night Time group ride into town and back, relaxed pace

Hi there everyone i have just moved to joburg and after lots of procrastination i have bought myself an old hansom super prestige that i want to turn into a hot looking fixie so firstly i want to meet other fixed gear riders, do you go to critical mass or not if so do you ever meet or anything? also whats the difference between fixed gear and single speed cos i was under the impression they were the same thing sorry for my cluelessness i am new and will admit to knowing nothing hence why i want to meet people who know their ****! any help info tips etc will be greatly appreciated!

When you stop pedalling on a single speed you feel the wind in your hair, the sun on your face, freedom.

When you stop pedalling on a fixed gear you feel your knee in your ear, burning on the face, tarmac.

Enjoy!

***just lose that damn saddle !

Ah the 'dronk ou' such wise words on the 'stop pedal' on a fixie! I haven't joined any organised rides, just use it round the 'hood and local convenience store. Here are some comments I made about my fixie a few weeks ago:-

As far as riding it goes .....

I am over the nearly getting ejected feeling when you inadvertently stop pedaling (then realise you can't) - simple things like riding over speed bumps etc. even become interesting

THANK HEAVENS for the front brake! Without it my hips would have been long gone unscrewed wacko.gif

Haven't managed to get the fixie 'fashion' thing sorted yet but will head over to TumbleWeed's spot sometime to get some tips and loan some stuff cool.gif

Some I don't understand:-

Cards in Spokes - huh huh.gif

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/110964-2-years-on-and-i-still-get-a-kick-out-of-riding-snow-white/page__p__1549233__hl__snow%20white__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1549233