Advice for new bike

BianJ

I suggest trying MTB'ing first before you splash on an expensive bike. Maybe you don't like it. Borrow a bike for a ride or two first.

Seriously, you can get a decent enough bike for R4500. Once you have decided you want to take it seriously then you can consider the pro's and cons of nice things like 29'ers, carbon, fancy suspension and 70k bikes.

There we go. Solid advise.

And then when you do buy:

1. If you're going hard tail a 29er would make sense regardless of your height. Just make sure of spec. Some manufacturers charge more for 29er's for the sake of.

2. Silverback's 29er dual is VERY new. Give it a year or two to sort gremlins before you buy.

3. If you're gonna spend less than R20k on a new dual buy one that is a down spec'ed version of a cool bike and not one that sits at the top of the range for that model range or manufacturer. Get the best frame you can for the money. Rather spend R15k on a Anthem X3 or even X4 than R15k on the top of the range Dunlop.

Edited by The Crow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Okay I will put in the metatags "do not take too seriously" next time. It is still good to know you don't have a house in Camps bay.

2. Fortunately it tends to be middle aged men who are more interested in looking at the bike than at the rider.

3. You are invited, I hope to put a four day cycle from Ceres to Citrusdal and back together (includes at least 3 of Baines' passes). We might have to take tents along for the over night stops. (Hope you have panniers). It will be great to have another cyclist along for the ride.

4. Agreed. After about 50km single speed can become a bit of a grind on the legs, but for the shorter races and rides, it gives a good work out.

1.Too poor for that house :(

2.Moffies :o

3.No Panniers, my Ritchey will look ugly with them.

4.All distances are great :thumbup:

There's a section to organize rides. We're here to give advise without pushing our own agendas or getting argumentative about bad advise given in the first place or stupid comments made then quoted on here to further your own opinion.

OK, so what's your point ?

To the OP, set a budget first as you did and set a ceiling, from there decide whether you can afford hard tail or full suspension.

The budget will determine tubeless or not and a few other extra's such as disk brakes etc.etc.etc....

Then pick a bike that appeals to you, bearing in mind you are going to have to live with it for a while.

Finally regarding your budget and a full suspension (soft tails are a totally different type of bike) and plenty hubbers will shoot me down and call me a snob, but at your current budget, you will end up buying a lemon, something rather heavy and perhaps not the greatest value for money in the long run, at that budget a good 29'er hard tail would be my first choice.

OK, so what's your point ?

To the OP, set a budget first as you did and set a ceiling, from there decide whether you can afford hard tail or full suspension.

The budget will determine tubeless or not and a few other extra's such as disk brakes etc.etc.etc....

Then pick a bike that appeals to you, bearing in mind you are going to have to live with it for a while.

Finally regarding your budget and a full suspension (soft tails are a totally different type of bike) and plenty hubbers will shoot me down and call me a snob, but at your current budget, you will end up buying a lemon, something rather heavy and perhaps not the greatest value for money in the long run, at that budget a good 29'er hard tail would be my first choice.

Thanks Dangle. This is good advice.

Dual suspension on entry and mid level bikes are not all they are cracked up to be. Yes, they can be comfy, but you may resent having to carry the extra weight when you start getting good enough to race. (been there, done that, got the tshirt) Also they come with a budget implication resulting in cheaper components where you really need the good stuff and this will cost lots of molla to rectify.

29 or 26 makes no difference in the end. IT IS PERSONAL CHOICE. as I said, make the choice and live with it.

One plus point with a hard tale is skill acquisition on technical terrian is definitely faster on a hardtail. Cycling is not just about fitness and endurance but also about technical skill. In fact the fun part is the technical skill bit. So much so that some people eventually return to their roots and have a rigid single speed built up or fun days.

2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite can be had for R12800.00 after some bargaining - It is a hard tail with XT rear derailleur, Deore crank and everything else SLX 10 speed. I paid in R550.00 and upgraded the crank to SLX

I suggest trying MTB'ing first before you splash on an expensive bike. Maybe you don't like it. Borrow a bike for a ride or two first.

Seriously, you can get a decent enough bike for R4500. Once you have decided you want to take it seriously then you can consider the pro's and cons of nice things like 29'ers, carbon, fancy suspension and 70k bikes.

I agreed 100%, rather just get a decent hard tail for R4000-R5000 and get into the whole cycling thing before splashing out loads of money and regretting it within a couple of months. 26, 29 who cares, just go out and ride.

If I knew then what I knew know, I would have made much better choices when I bought my first bike.

A new dual suspension bike for R12k sounds suspect to be honest. I bought my first bike at sportsmans warehouse about 5/6 years ago and I have probably spend triple the amount upgrading the bike with new components to the point where nothing is left of my original bike at a massive cost, everything as a result of an impulsive decision without any knowledge.

Welcome to the Hub and many happy Km's

2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite can be had for R12800.00 after some bargaining - It is a hard tail with XT rear derailleur, Deore crank and everything else SLX 10 speed. I paid in R550.00 and upgraded the crank to SLX

I just don't get what you are saying, I posted what you quoted in reference to a full suspension at R12K ?

Agreed :thumbup:

I listen to Queen, Elvis on the very rare occasion and have a SS.

Witkop, you are the kind of guy I like to race against on my SS at races :thumbup:

Ai ai ai Elvis? Queen is cool and your 'oddity' about 1 gear and no suspension I can forgive but Elvis, a friendship ruined :( ;)

In Jhb Linden Cycles would be my best choice.

Voted the best LBS in Gauteng in the latest Bicycle mag by public vote

Ai ai ai Elvis? Queen is cool and your 'oddity' about 1 gear and no suspension I can forgive but Elvis, a friendship ruined :( ;)

I did say very rare occasion :lol:

Blame that Abrahams fella, he got me in to it.

You said a good spec 29 hardtail could be had for 12K so I was merely mentioning that I got mine for 12.8K

I just don't get what you are saying, I posted what you quoted in reference to a full suspension at R12K ?

Whether riding a 26 or 29 not all brown stuff is mud, if you are unsure rather avoid it :D

No you got it wrong, 29ers always miss the dung while 26ers always ploughs straight throung it. Another advantage of 29er.

Hi All

Thanks for the advice, at least I know what questions to ask. It seems the bottom line is that I need to spend the time and ride a few bikes and then make a decision.

Now the next question, any recommendations as to a decent shop to approach?

The Sports Basement is the cheapest for Specialized, Trek, & Volcan. They are a clearnace house for all the 2011, 2010 and end of line bikes. Chat with Rory he is a lot of help. They discount bikes and accessories up to 50%.

You said a good spec 29 hardtail could be had for 12K so I was merely mentioning that I got mine for 12.8K

Aah, understood :thumbup:

Eldron's 2c.

Linden is a great shop - can't go wrong.

If your budget is R12K then I would recommend an aluminium 29er hardtail.

Carbon would mean great frame but (relatively) poor components, a duallie much the same (to allow a duallie frame in that price range they need to skimp on the components).

I don't agree with the buy cheap then upgrade idea - bikes are eseentially worthless once you've ridden them - you'll be lucky to 50% of the original value if you sell second hand. Try and ride a few friends/loan bikes and see if the sport bites then spend as much as you can afford.

To get a decent duallie I think closer to R18K for good quality stuff.

Tubeless is a must.

Clipless pedals and shoes too.

That is all. As you were.

Oh hang on - witkop should be banned from supplying and and all cycling knowledge - I haven't read that many errors, poor assumptions, baseless rumour and general codswallop in all my life! Jokes or no joke - you should be ashamed sir!