Screws on dropouts

casspir

I have a 2005 Pinarello Paris.  It has two screws at the rear dropouts and I assume it is to centre the wheel axle to the frame. 

Is my assumption correct.  If not what is the purpose of the two screws? 

How are they set to get optimum use? 

Poor quality picture of the screw on the non-drive side:

20071219_124352_pinarello_dropo.jpg

Regards,

c

PS that my own little ET at the bottom.  It didn't know either! 

Yes, they are there to centre the wheel in the frame. They're kinda old fashioned and I didn't know they still make frame with them.

How do you use them? Unscrew them until they're at their outmost position. This could be inside the frame if they don't have stops preventing them from screwing out.

Now fit the wheel, find it's ideal position and clamp the wheel.  Now set the screws so that they push up against the axle.

Usually the screws have some sort of spring or other mechanism to ensure that the screws don't come undone by themselves.

All they really do is compensate for a frame drop-outs that aren't perfectly aligned in the first place.

Interestingly enough (or not), this is the only 3mm screw that can be found on a bicycle. How's that for useless information?

Johan' date=' that is top notch useless information.  I can't wait to tell my wife! [/quote']

Good stuff, eh? Lets start a thread debating the merits of 3mm screws. Sounds much more entertaining than 340 channels of rubbish on TV.

Johan' date=' that is top notch useless information.  I can't wait to tell my wife! [/quote']

Good stuff, eh? Lets start a thread debating the merits of 3mm screws. Sounds much more entertaining than 340 channels of rubbish on TV.

you will have WH running back and forth to his wife! (who sounds like a truly remarkable person!!) Smile

BigBen, you also married to my wife?!  Got the same reaction, but she immediately grabbed a cold glass of chenin blanc.  Driving her to drink I am...

I told my wife but I just got this blank look ..............

Women just dont get it.

now is good time to choose your words very carefully Wink 

(But ... I, along with BigB's wife, don't get it! At all! Big%20smile)

Ronelle please don't tell anyone but nor did I, she didn't ask for an explanation either sjoeee ..........

Luckily my wheels seem to have been built OK !!!! Not sure if it was a machine or human .......

Guess what? I had to go and look at my bike to see if it did not have the same screw...  Sad I know, but you have to do some things.  BTW, my wife has just passed out from the chenin blanc I drove her to.  (Well actually she fell asleep.  Bless her)

WH when you, Pantani and Holy roller get on a roll (weak pun intended) the entertainment is way better than TV. It's really refreshing.

Windbreaker, being mentioned with all time greats like Pantani and Holy Roller is an honour I will treasure all week! 

That we also count as entertainment is a sad indictment of the state of DSTV at this time of year...