Sika flex - alternative to rim tape?

Doggone

I've just bought some 20 inch tube for a ghetto convrsion after a tubeless valve gave out.

But I have to admit... The sika flex thing has me wondering... No more battling with rim strips and trying to get the tire seated. A blob of formula would fix it all... Will try it on my dh bike first.

We run Stans strips with their tape and ghetto 20 inch tubes with insulation tape as well. No problems at all. If you have trouble seating the bead properly there is an easy way to seat ANY tyre. Once you have the tyre on, and the Stans in, you need to wet the bead all around with quite soapy water (sunlight soap). The trick then is to use a compressor and hit the tyre hard with around 60 to 65 psi. I nearly crap my pants every time I do it, but the bead makes way to the pressure and pops into place. It's the only way, and I've not had a tyre that doesnt work with this yet. If you don't have a compressor at home then seat the tyres, get it all ready, head down to the garage with a bucket and soap and do it there.

Rim tape is not expensive

Use stans valves the ones (Mavic I think) with a square rubber base are *** and leak

tape will also be lighter

Just to let everyone know, the sikaflex option works. Unfortunately the amount of sikaflex I used ended up adding quite a bit of weight. I just applied too much of it. Over time and with experimentation I am sure you will be able to reduce the amount of sikaflex used.

Got bored this morning and converted back with bontrager conversion liner.Sikaflex is actually quite easy to remove. Each blob comes off the rim as a single piece.

Bontrager rim liner kit must be the easiest conversion kit available. Even seat the tyre without sludge.

Maybe I try it again when I have some time. Now to go for a ride!

We run Stans strips with their tape and ghetto 20 inch tubes with insulation tape as well. No problems at all. If you have trouble seating the bead properly there is an easy way to seat ANY tyre. Once you have the tyre on, and the Stans in, you need to wet the bead all around with quite soapy water (sunlight soap). The trick then is to use a compressor and hit the tyre hard with around 60 to 65 psi. I nearly crap my pants every time I do it, but the bead makes way to the pressure and pops into place. It's the only way, and I've not had a tyre that doesnt work with this yet. If you don't have a compressor at home then seat the tyres, get it all ready, head down to the garage with a bucket and soap and do it there.

Dude, I tried all of that with my latest rim/tire combo, but unfortunstely the darn things were tighter than a nun's proverbial... Soap, dishwashing liquid, whatever whatever. Had to tske the tire off and remount about 3 times on just the one rim, 'cos both beads were always going to one side of the valvr and no amount of shimmying or shaking would get the tire to sit astride the valve.

Having said that, it was just because of the rubber to rubber contact of the tire & rim strip that caused that, and it would not have happened had there been a simple electrical tape type of strip instead of a rim strip...

I get what you're saying with the garage compressors though. Those things have some force behind them! I've used them before as an emergency measure...

Sikaflex 11FC - Sticks like sh*t ! Will not react with Aluminium as it is not acid based. Silicone on the other hand is acid based.

Sikaflex retails for +- R125 inc at most hardware shops.

Here is the Technical specification

Sikaflex-11FC.pdf