West Coast Bike lane celebs

GLuvsMtb

This is my take on the cycle path ...

It's fantastic to have the use of the cycle-lane facilities that we do have, and that the cycling community were not ignored in the planning process, as so often happens in other cities. Perhaps its design is not perfectly suitable for all cycling situations, but it suits the purpose to a great degree, especially for the cycling commuters. There are times when I choose to use it and times when I choose not to. These moments of choice always revolve around ride purpose and reasonable risk to self, from both cars and potential muggers.

I/we didn't use it at 5am this morning as we were a training bunch riding at a tempo pace, and we figure that the dynamics of our purpose don't include dealing with cycle commuters, poles etc along a snaking narrow path in the dark. That's a recipe for disaster, and then I'll bet there will be another thread on the Hub complaining about training groups using the cycle path :) The road traffic at this time is also minimal and there is enough of a hard shoulder for a bunch to ride on. Being in a bunch in this situation also gives us more visibility than a solo rider. If I have to train solo for the same purpose at this time then I would choose another route away from traffic, or ride on the cycle path if it's for example a recovery ride.

On the occasions when our club rides out to town on a Sat or Sun morn for a 7am ride, then we use the cycle path from a safety point of view.

We have in the past had a club member mugged on the cycle path past Paarden Eiland, and I have had a puncture on it too (can happen anywhere). We all have a choice ...

A sensible reply and something to ponder. But doing the same ride at 7am or on a busy beach day over the weekend is asking for trouble.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This's been fun ... are you guys going to carry it on tomorrow?

Dont encourage it :angry: Although it was nice to see a bit of the Col again :)

Maybe not from these teams but from other people and clubs, and I am yet to see the City do something about it on a REGULAR basis. Not just once a quarter.

You attacked these teams and now you wonder why the storm?

I mentioned the teams and stated that its uncool to ride like that. An attack would have been paying a truck driver to play chicken with them.

A sensible reply and something to ponder. But doing the same ride at 7am or on a busy beach day over the weekend is asking for trouble.

Like I said, you did not say what time the pro's were on the lane ? I have ridden there on a weekend befor 7 and that road is not busy at all.

I mentioned the teams and stated that its uncool to ride like that. An attack would have been paying a truck driver to play chicken with them.

No that would be attempted murder!

You referred to teams while sucking things out your thumb.

Like I said, you did not say what time the pro's were on the lane ? I have ridden there on a weekend befor 7 and that road is not busy at all.

ok let me be more specific 7am ON A WEEKDAY or 10 to 11am ON A BUSY BEACH DAY OVER THE WEEKEND.

HaPpY nOw?

No that would be attempted murder!

You referred to teams while sucking things out your thumb.

next time I'll record the elites responses when we chat about bike lanes. Just for you sweetie.

ok let me be more specific 7am ON A WEEKDAY or 10 to 11am ON A BUSY BEACH DAY OVER THE WEEKEND.

HaPpY nOw?

:thumbup:

its been fun. Time to go ride my bike. Same place tomorrow?

PICS PLEASE...

OR

ELSE

IT DID NOT HAPPEN...

B)