West Coast Bike lane celebs

GLuvsMtb

I come from a country and a continent with plenty of bike lanes. Most of them are not suitable for road riding. They are great for cruising and the MTB but usually not for the road bike. Which is why road "racers" hardly ever use them.

Sometimes they are suitable and I am happy to use them, but in generally not.

That's just as it is.

Now go to bed and play with the wife!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from a country and a continent with plenty of bike lanes. Most of them are not suitable for road riding. They are great for cruising and the MTB but usually not for the road bike. Which is why road "racers" hardly ever use them.

Sometimes they are suitable and I am happy to use them, but in generally not.

That's just as it is.

Now go to bed and play with the wife!

Good point... :thumbup:

There's commuter cycling lanes and then there is the normal road with faster flowing traffic.

I cannot see myself training while possibly weaving through commuter bikes, runners, walkers, etc.without reasonable risk.

Edited by ' Dale

Moorewood please send me your number so the Anderson wannabee can meet you face to face and get this matter out the way and we can move on if you not to scared behind your computer. Maybe if you open your eyes you would see it was Aurecon riders not CTM. The Anderson and Aurecon riders rode home after the race this morning.

So there is something wrong with ur eyes, rather stop sturing k@k ont the hub behind your computer and go for an eye test.

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning. Maybe the Anderson Transport / Cycles Direct / Cape Town Market whannabees that were spotted next to the bike lane on a road with no shoulder 5 minutes earlier should re-think their inherent uncoolness and join the movement towards safer cycling.

If you call these guys wannabe's then you must be a Europe pro or something. There's a current SA champ in that bunch aswell.

I cannot see myself training while possibly weaving through commuter bikes, runners, walkers, etc.without reasonable risk.

I use the lane a lot. Have never had to 'weave my way'. For riding solo or for a small group it is perfectly fine. For a large group probably not so much.

If the bike lane 'slows down' the pro's, let them ride on the road. Enough people will use (and currently are using) the lane to justify it's existence. This thread is actually just not necessary or helpful.

Whilst I fully condone and encourage use of the bike lane, it doesn't bother me that some don't.

Edited by Pronutro

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning. Maybe the Anderson Transport / Cycles Direct / Cape Town Market whannabees that were spotted next to the bike lane on a road with no shoulder 5 minutes earlier should re-think their inherent uncoolness and join the movement towards safer cycling.

Please go and look again, I know for a fact and have seen the above clubs on the cycle lane, but not between sunset beach and t-view...I know lots of people who do not like riding that stretch or the section from the parden eiland to the harbour turn off. For various reasons...

What you do not say is where you saw Kevin and George? Maybe they were on the section that EVERYONE uses....I have also seen the above clubs ride on those sections when on their MTB, maybe it is a puncture thing.

Why stir?

Mayne you must make sure of your facts as all the cape town market riders were doimg the race this mornimng ... so none of us could be there. And WE, ctm always use the cycling lane.

Thornman, i've seen guys with the CTM shirts riding on the road just before the paddocks, was about 2 months back.

I wouldn't mind if the people that choose to ride on the road had respect for the cars. To ride 3 abreast on the section between Sunset beach and the Paddocks is just plain rude and pisses the cars off as they then can only make use of one lane.

As for the section between Paarden Eiland and Town, I unfortunately am not brave enough to venture there on my own and will only ride that section if I'm in a group. Had a great ride to Paarden Eiland yesterday afternoon in the wind, love having the cycle track.

Petition your local councillor to change the law. Do not break it just because somebody else does it, or because it does not suite you.

Everybody(most it seem) want cycling lanes, and if these are not used, what incentive will there be for municipalities to cater for cyclists because 'we' choose not use the lanes already provided?

Please do not bring the law into this, I am sure you do not follow it to the letter either. This "it is the Law" story is not becoming BORING.

Everyone breaks some kind of law, weather that is Tax(car allowance claims come to mind), Speeding(the excuse of I did not see the sign), not making your number plate visible when carrying your bikes....and so the list goes on.

Boring.

Edit: Spell check

Edited by Niner

I use the lane a lot. Have never had to 'weave my way'. For riding solo or for a small group it is perfectly fine. For a large group probably not so much.

If the bike lane 'slows down' the pro's, let them ride on the road. Enough people will use (and currently are using) the lane to justify it's existence. This thread is actually just not necessary or helpful.

Whilst I fully condone and encourage use of the bike lane, it doesn't bother me that some don't.

Cool - I've never used the lane.

Just thinking of my experience in Chicago where there is a cycling lane around lake Michigan - lots of weaving amongst other users like runners and roller bladers.

The issue at hand is that some riders in team kit allegedly:

- do not use the cycling lane

- disrupt traffic by riding abreast

- cause potential risk by not staying on the shoulder.

That is uncool, if true, and there are several testimonials thus far.

And, if true, brings a negative view of the team's brand.

Just thinking of my experience in Chicago where there is a cycling lane around lake Michigan - lots of weaving amongst other users like runners and roller bladers.

You have never used the lane but we must use it because we wear team kit? 95% of the teams mentioned were racing yesterday morning.

Anyone who has a problem with where I am riding my bike must please approach in person to discuss the matter. I'd absolutely love to deal with this face to face. Don't save it for the hub, lets get it sorted then and there.

I do not think it is our duty to moan at them, it is safe to assume that they have their reasons for doing that.

WRT to "riding abreast", what time of the day did this happen? I have only see 2 up, in the yellow lane...EARLY in the morning when there were only about 10 cars on the roads in total......

I dont see people being active about the other road rules/ traffic transgressors....so can we please stop now with the cyclist bashing.....you will never change my view of ANY taxi and you will NEVER change the view of motorist(fat unhealthy blobs mostly) towards cyclist.

You have never used the lane but we must use it because we wear team kit? 95% of the teams mentioned were racing yesterday morning.

Anyone who has a problem with where I am riding my bike must please approach in person to discuss the matter. I'd absolutely love to deal with this face to face. Don't save it for the hub, lets get it sorted then and there.

I agree, in fact this thread should be deleted as there is no proof here, nor do we have the full story. Even if there was proof, then it should be discussed with the teams involved, not here.

Nah, that's not what I wrote, Lucky Luke. :mellow:

I am stating that ANY riders who does not use cycling lanes (anywhere) must resort to riding 'responsibly' on the normal roads adjacent to it.

Of course, if there is a rider or riders with team kit involved, those riders must be brand aware and that their actions is more highlighted by the public.

I don't have the facts.

And if there is smearing of some teams involved here for reasons beyond the purpose of the thread, then it is uncool.

New year, same old Hub.

MorewoodMad, you should have left your opening post at:

Big shout out to David George and Kevin Evans for using the bike lane this morning.

If you have an issue with the teams you mention, take it up with them directly. The Anderson and CTM guys are quite approachable.

Cycle lane's very groovy if heading out to the West Coast, or chortling to town past cars stuck in the traffic. More a commuter thing? I used to use the Castle Brewery to town bit, but I actually enjoy the interaction between cycle, car and taxi. Wakes me up for the morning.