Wetsuit Legal or Not

Garfield2010

Wetsuit  

49 members have voted

1. 1. I will

• enter any tri-race regardless - wetsuits is not an issue
    • I will only enter a tri-race that I know wetsuits will be permitted in

I must be very honest I get claustrophobic wearing a wetsuit. So I will only wear the damn thing if its freezing. I always feel most comfortable wearing only my speedo. If I get tired I simply flip over and paddle along on my back or simply lie there and soak up the sun. I can quite literally spend hours in the water.

What I am afraid of is people hunting me down and using special claw tactics and manouvers to get me :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the life saver sees you floating lifeless he can pull you out and at least try something?

Remember what happened at midmar last year?

The clue "floating lifeless"

No i missed it last year ;)

I must be very honest I get claustrophobic wearing a wetsuit. So I will only wear the damn thing if its freezing. I always feel most comfortable wearing only my speedo. If I get tired I simply flip over and paddle along on my back or simply lie there and soak up the sun. I can quite literally spend hours in the water.

What I am afraid of is people hunting me down and using special claw tactics and manouvers to get me :lol:

Bwahaha, that was a funny forum last year!

I really hope the water is a bit warmer in EL this year!!

From an absolute beginners point of view (talking about people like your aunty Janet who is giving it a go for the first time) wetsuits not being allowed is a deal breaker.

If it's sprint distance the guys will push through.

Olympic distance and upwards peeps will start pulling out or not enter at all.

Well I feel safer among other things. If I wear my wetsuit and get tired, I can swim very slow and rest and still be comfortable. If I swim this slow without the Wetsuit then I sink!

if you're scared of drowning then these babies are specifically designed to help you out:

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/54561/54561,1263420329,3/stock-photo-croatia-july-young-children-enter-the-sea-with-swimming-bands-on-july-in-bol-44460469.jpg

Is there a performance advantage to wearing one?

Yes, provided you remember to do the zip up all the way.

Thanx for this effort Garfield. Of course I shall vote for the pro-wetsuit thinkers.

However interesting the outcome might be, it will not be statistically significant to represent the triathlon fraternity, because the people who frequent forums like this, are usually from the more experienced athletes – i.e. able to swim, cycle, run well. More reliable poll would be on the entry forms of triathlons of all lengths.

Plus, even if the outcome indicates an adequate need for review of the wetsuit rules, it is doubtful that the administrators will take such initiative.

Thanx for this effort Garfield. Of course I shall vote for the pro-wetsuit thinkers.

However interesting the outcome might be, it will not be statistically significant to represent the triathlon fraternity, because the people who frequent forums like this, are usually from the more experienced athletes – i.e. able to swim, cycle, run well. More reliable poll would be on the entry forms of triathlons of all lengths.

Plus, even if the outcome indicates an adequate need for review of the wetsuit rules, it is doubtful that the administrators will take such initiative.

You make a good point Henley. The other problem then is how many of BSG first timers even know a wetsuit exists? Maybe if they didnt we would not have had this argument in the first place!!

I would like to apply my way of thinking to races in that you swim the longer distances as I believe that is where a wetsuit is justified in terms of safety etc.

Some poeple will say if you can swim that far then you dont need a suit, but I can also say that if I can swim that far then I deserve to decide for myself as it is not an ability argument anymore...... I have never cramped on 600m but I have on 3km's even when in good shape.

Again in the end I think the solution is to created an "out of cat" race for the guys who for some reason cannot abide by the triathlon rules as they are. People need to understand that not all of us are competitave.

Surely the USA IM rules have merits in them (27 degree wetsuit law etc)

Well if the life saver sees you floating lifeless he can pull you out and at least try something?

Remember what happened at midmar last year?

Share ?

Just to clear this up... this drowning happened at the Midmar Mile.

Garfield, as mentioned before putting pressure on the event organisers won't nesesarily work. As event organisers by law have to have their events sanctioned by TSA. Triathlon SA needs to be approached by the athletes on this matter. As event organisers, we don't even get consulted by TSA on the ridiculous TSA sanctioing fees and "high" hosting and day licence fees they have now implemented, to try bleed the sport dry!!

My suggestion... get a petition signed at 70.3 and send it to TSA ... let the athletes speak!

Edited by B-Active Sports

Just to clear this up... this happened at the Midmar Mile.

Oh sorry yes! Didn't mean to make people think it happened at your race!

I asked this question on a Tri forum and i liked this answer

If someone isnt a reasonably confident swimmer then I really think they should think twice about entering anyway. A mass participation sport isn't the time to realise you sink like a brick or can't make the distance in the time given.

Don't get me wrong, a challenge is good but there are some basic questions to be asked before doing anything.