Bryton GPS

Abercrombie

Hello all, considering getting a Bryton 35. Mainly road biking and occasionly MTB.

Has anybody got or had one of these and what are there thoughts on the unit? Have considered Garmin 500 but due to price thinking of Bryton.Thanks all and take care

i literally bought one today. Bought the rider35E and HRM strap for 2k. Did a bit of research and it appears that a lot of the problems have been ironed out. Chatted to people and they are very happy with it. The Garmin was going to be about R800 more, but for me it wasnt really a cost issue - i liked the idea of the bryton more. Will definately be able to report back soon - hopefully i will get mine before the weekend.

I am also considering getting the 35 although I see that they now sell the 20 also. Will watching this topic with interest.

I have had the 35 for about 6 to 8 months or so. Works well for me as a weekend warrior. Especially enjoyed being able to set up the screens to display the data I like to see on the main screen and move other stuff to a second screen.

Upload the rides afterwards to the Bryton Website which auto drops them into Google maps. hmm.... Although it takes away the coffeeshop... the "yeah reckon I did a hectic 50ks today in the tropical heat " and replaces it with "erm yeah... 32.25ks at a gentle gradient not exceeding a rating of 1 with an average temp of 25 deg c. " <_<

I have the cadence sensor and Heart monitor but havent tried them out.

Bryton have done multiple Firmware upgrades as they iron out the bugs. Nice thing is that as you logon to the Bryton website it automatically upgrades the firmware on the GPS.

Thanks Crowdude, I'm more than likely going to get one. Although I haven't the faintest idea how to use the cadence feature

Been thinking about getting one of these for ages ... the only thing holding me back is that with a cell phone you can seem to do pretty much everything you need. But it would be great to have a standalone unit so that i can leave my cell at home!

those who have bought them where did you get them from?

Cheers

Hi there

I've been looking at the Bryton for my wife, local Bryton 35 price is to close for me to the Garmin 500 from CRC, so will probably go with that, she does not need cadence, so can go GPS based speed etc only.

G

I have the Bryton Rider 50, and apart from the obvious differences between my unit and the 35, my experience has ben great. I got it just before the 94.7 mtb race and got the HRM strap for XMAS.

The aftersales service from the agents (Ballistic Bike Trading) has been awesome - Thanks Jason!

The Bryton support team internationally has also been phenomenal with regards to answering all of my questions posted on their facebook page.

From the Bryton web interface I have been able to download the GPS .gpx files and then upload them to Strava.com to compare my "segments" with other riders.

I would recommend getting a Bryton.

I have only heard good reviews about the Garmin Edge 500. Other than on this topic, I haven't heard much about the Bryton but that doesn't mean it's any worse than the Garmin.

Just some pricing indicators on the bundles, if you are looking at the bundle (Computer, HRM Strap and Cadence Sensor) option:

Bryton 35 Bundle - R2,899 (http://www.bryton.co.za/south-africa/bryton-gps?aff_id=3&banner_id=6&vmcchk=1)

Garmin Edge 500 - R2,699 - (http://www.easybike.co.za/garmin-edge-500-bundle.html)

I would personally get the Garmin.

those who have bought them where did you get them from?

Cheers

Bought it online from bryton.co.za. Look out for the ad on the left of this forum and you can get a 20% discount using thehubsa coupon thumbup1.gif

Personally I would go for the Garmin even if more expensive. I've been using the Bryton 35 for quite a few months now. Initially I was happy. It worked well and I like the display layout etc. But some things bugged me. The mount is as secure as mcdonald shake on your cars roof.. It is difficult if not impossible to operate any button without stopping to ensure that you do not dislodge the unit. Then there is also no off line application. You must be connected to donwload and analyze anything.

But then the real trouble started. It started behaving eratic. It would freeze up on occasion until one day I could do nothing, no soft or hard reset worked. GPSPlay looked at it and I was told that it was cause by water damage. Surprising to me since I have only used it during the winter months, no rain in gangster paradise. They then replaced it with a 2nd hand unit, but it worked. I was told to avoid water , this includes rain. I'm on a MTB for crying out loud!

Well the replacement unit has never seen a drop of water but it started the erratic behaviour within a week. I've now given up. I noticed that GPSPlay have given the Bryton distributionship up. Good call if you ask me.

GPSPlay looked at it and I was told that it was cause by water damage.

I sincerely hope that mine withstands riding in the wet,rain and over puddles,rivers. I would expect it to since it is rated that way. Once i get it, I will examine the joins and if necessary, i may put a bit of sillicone on the joins as an added precaution. I suppose it boils down to experience - a google search for garmin edge water damage also reveals hits.

I have also readelswewhere that the mount is not that secure. will have to test it out when it comes. I am sure with a bit off of modification i will be able to "tighten" it if thats the case. I also have a home built mount if it really is a problem.

Mine is now en-route from jhb to kzn - should be here tomorrow :)

got mine and took it for a test. Very nice easy to read display. I was easily able to cycle through the three displays i setup. little things like the backlight turning on when i went through a tunnel are nice to haves. founf the gps single in the time it took to put my helmet and gloves on. the mount is tight and i could press the buttons with no movement on the device. all in all happy. will see how the waterproofing is in time

stretch can take a pic of the mount if you have time? I curious to see if they changed it. Mine is floppy as hell.

My wife bought me the Briton Rider 50 Bundle for Christmas and I am very happy with it. I used mine on really tough and bumpy routes, and the mounting meganism is great! Maybe they improved the design on the newer models. Display is awesome and really easy to use. Love it!!