Rims for trail bike

Pittstop

Keeping an eye on this thread - I've been running AlexRims SupraBH rims for trail / AM riding. To be honest, they are tough but moer heavy...

Been considering Spank Subrosa's or Oozy's - the Oozy's are a tad lighter and narrower, but received a good review on Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Spank-Oozy-EVO-Rims-Tested-2011.html

Just not sure if, considering I weigh in at over 110kg, I shouldn't just go for a heavier duty rim (like the Subrosa) or if something like the Oozy will be tough enough. At least this thread's giving me a few extra options to look at. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?

I love my Subrosas (laced to Hope hubs). Being just under 100kgs myself I decided that I was tired of breaking wheels - or even hearing pads rubbing rotors as I flexed the rims under power. They are not light which you can feel in initial acceleration but that doesn't make too much difference if you are a heavy power rider and once up to speed it is all good. They take big hits very well - even mistimed bunnyhops onto pavements at speed... Five foot drops to flat are handled with ease. The stiffness over rough stuff inspires a lot of confidence to keep speed up even when it gets quite gnarly.

I would be happy to loan you my wheels for a day if you are in Jhb. The Hope hubs are currently 20mm thru axle but it takes all of 5 mins to convert to QR.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crest is 24mm wide and ive had no problems running the 2.4inch Hans damf tires. Wheel build comes in at 1430g, pretty light.

I find that if I put a high volume tyre onto a narrowish rim that I get a bit of a wallowy ride with lots of sidewall flex in corners.

I find that if I put a high volume tyre onto a narrowish rim that I get a bit of a wallowy ride with lots of sidewall flex in corners.

Yip. Narrow rim simply can't volume up a bigger tyre. What you then get is a rounded profile and even less grip from the side knobblies.

Christmas present to me from me... ZTR Arch with Hope Pro 2 hubs

I love these wheels, nice and strong so highly recommended from my side, theyre reasonably light too.

Whats the total wheight once you built it up.

• 1 month later...