Rusted Chain & Cassette

Caerus

I got back from Cape Town yesterday to find that my XTR Cassette & Chain had rusted(surface rust) on the drive back, which I cannot understand, as I had washed and lubed the chain before I left. I did go through long periods of rain while driving back, so I can assume it was from this. My other bike was fine (XT chain & cassette), and was washed and lubed at the same time as the rusted chain & cassette huh.png

Why would this happen and what can I do to sort it out? Will the rust keep coming back now that it has started once. I wash my bike and lube it religiously after every ride.

post-13006-0-04308400-1326639642.jpg

post-13006-0-38850000-1326639661.jpg

I think you dragged the west Coast cancer along wih you.

Doh, make it go away. Does this happen often from riding in the Western Cape, or you taking the piss huh.png ?

Sorry to see this. That cassette is really damaged now and needs to be disposed of. I'll PM you my details and I can do that for you.

BTW: I've never had this on any of my bikes but then I make sure to run a proper drivetrain AKA SRAM. Sorry for your loss mate.

Edited by rob_mtb

Sorry to see this. That cassette is really damaged now and needs to be disposed of. I'll PM you my details and I can do that for you.

May as well sell it for scrap then, surely they shouldn't rust like that though. Must be something in the water in Cape Town?

that casette looks brand new, maybe try clean the rust of the casette?

It is fairly new, as is the chain. I've never had this happen to me from riding and driving around KZN.

Clean the cassette and chain well with a brush and let it lie in some oil for a day or so.Then clean it well and use it again.I often had light rust after a tri from the sea water.

Clean the cassette and chain well with a brush and let it lie in some oil for a day or so.Then clean it well and use it again.I often had light rust after a tri from the sea water.

Do you suggest letting it soak in some parrafin and scrub with a wire brush, or just a brush with hard bristles?

When I'm taking the chain off, which I have to break and add a link, does it matter which way it goes back on( ie the chain direction)?

Use Squirt lube, wash after rides, I've seen Squirt making a drivetrain look new again. My spare bike's cluster and chain look old and rusted, lubed with Squirt, washed and lubed again, a few times it looked like newthumbup1.gif

Use Squirt lube, wash after rides, I've seen Squirt making a drivetrain look new again. My spare bike's cluster and chain look old and rusted, lubed with Squirt, washed and lubed again, a few times it looked like newthumbup1.gif

I did use Squirt, doh. Just bhad to replace the bottle today cause I finished the last one lubing that chain

I did use Squirt, doh. Just bhad to replace the bottle today cause I finished the last one lubing that chain

Nah then it's chilled vibes I wouldn't worry to much then it will go away by itself then