35 y/o Beginner

Corrie21

Secondhand will give you a good bike for your budget, but they are great entry-level bikes in the R4-R5K range. You'll most probably be looking at a bike specced with Alivio-Deore mix components, hydraulic discs and a coil shock.

Happy hunting.

And welcome to the sport.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride what you can afford, the main thing is to ride, whenever, wherever. And not to buy a crappy Game bike!

I started out with a hardtail which cost 4k and after the bug bit (budget breaker variety) I moved on to a dual sus which also required upgrades as I undershot there as well.

It turns into a disease with the hub as your support structure and helpline!

Good luck!

I started at 37. Got a brand new mtb for 4k, coil (shitey) shock, only shifters are Alivio, rest is deore with mechanical disk brakes. Helmet bougt at Games for R150, OLYMPIC shoes for R450 and so it goes on. still has all the original components, I ride at Groenkloof and Voortrekker Mon, have done Karoo to Coast and various other hectic and not so hectic races. Admittedly its not te greatest biki, but i enjoy riding it and getting out there.

I guess its just a matter of priotities, in my case its saving as much as possible now to actually put down a substantial deposit on a home, and giving my son the best possible care. What I really want to say is that you can enjoy the sport without costing you an arm and a leg. If you buy an entry level bike, dont plan to upgrade, ride it until it falls apart and then get a better one. I'll go for new bike next year some time.

but welcome, you wont regret it for one single moment

From where did you suck that pearl of wisdom out?

What happens when you turn 30?

Do you lose the ability to ride a hardtail?

Yip, well said.

That and the fact that the poster neglected to notice the R 4 k. budget.

Oh , my recommendation, the Silverback Stride 10.

R 4 240.00.

I concur. Nice package.

Oh, and put bar ends on that sucker.

I'm also a beginner mtber been a roadie for a year bought a bike on Saturday. Every hubber will tell you they started out small and eventually went big but in the process lost more than double the money had they bought something decent in the beginning.there is a correlation between the kinda bike u buy and whether u enjoy the sport to explain if u buy cheap and nasty..riding won't be fun therefore would not understand our obsession with cycling.I'm afraid for 4k u going to get crappy old bike cmpromising your safety either brakes not sharp enough or worn front shock..

good luck.

Yip, well said.

That and the fact that the poster neglected to notice the R 4 k. budget.

+100, Thug knows about these things.

Quite amusing to see the assumption that because he's from Gauteng he doesnt know about hills. w00t.gif

There is nothing wrong with a hardtail for a beginner. My dad started cycling at 60 and rode a hardtail for many years. Even after buying a dual suspension, he still rode the hardtail his rides to Koeberg (2-3 hours ride from his house) and places like that.

I'm afraid for 4k u going to get crappy old bike cmpromising your safety either brakes not sharp enough or worn front shock..

good luck.

The shock may be a dog, but the comment about the brakes is rubbish.

Budget budget budget, that really sucks. Also had one when I went to buy wife and me bikes, well it did not last to long...

Things we decided before we bought:

Bike: Dual suspension, Disk brakes.

Safety:

Dood helmet and glasses, even the smallest of falls can be deadly and well the tiniest of stones in eye can blind you,

Gloves, hydro pack.

remember/consider how you going to transport the bike, Thule double bike tow bar mounted is R1400. and emergency kit like patches, compact tool, hand pump,

those small things ADD up.

Riding clothes will also quickly decide they want to be in the cupboard.

As for bike, we ended on Merida 120-500D's, (mine did end with some upgrades)

Bought via Cycle Lab, their 30 day ride and be happy or return policy is fantastic, and the service from the guys at the 4ways branch is superb.

G

Edited by awesme

+100, Thug knows about these things.

Quite amusing to see the assumption that because he's from Gauteng he doesnt know about hills. w00t.gif

Thug sounds like a legend.

Hey

I'm a 35 y/o male whio wants to start MTB'ing. Which bike would be a good starting bike?

Don't do it, MTB cycling is an addictive dirty habit.

Edited by scotty

Why does everyone insist on saying buy something cheaper now and when the bug bites, get something better. Why not just buy right the first time? I understand he has a budget, but what does that count for when people are telling him the components are not great, the bike will be heavy, you will want to upgrade, blah blah blah.

As someone else suggested buy the best bike you can afford now.