Bike Setup - ErgoFIT vs BG FIT vs Bike Shop

Caerus

I would like to go get a proper bike setup done, so from the various threads on the hub regarding this issue, and trying to find out info online, I'm left with some questions that need answering.

What is the differance with these two set-ups, I tried asking the question to both these people, and they could not really give me a impartial view.

Which is the better system to get fitted with, the cost involved vary quite drastically between the two. The cost with BG FIT is R500 for a 2-3 hr session, if you have two bikes, its still another R500. The ErgoFIT cost is R350 for one bike then R550 for two.

There is another guy in Durban doing Bike Setups, just not sure what he will do, he also charges R350/ bike.

What to do, and who to use? Any suggestions please?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've done the BGFit at Concept Cyclery here in Hillcrest, made a fairly big difference - specially in the climbing and changing the saddle width also made a huge improvement. I have had a shop bike fit before, was great but not as good as the BGFit. Seriously give Duane a call.

i've done the BGFit at Concept Cyclery here in Hillcrest, made a fairly big difference - specially in the climbing and changing the saddle width also made a huge improvement. I have had a shop bike fit before, was great but not as good as the BGFit. Seriously give Duane a call.

I have spoken to Duane but still not sure why it's better then the ErgoFIT, who assures me there system is the better then the BG Fit. The thing with the BG fit I can't understand is that they want to charge me full price to get my second bike setup, where as everyone else gives you a discount on the 2nd bike.

Dont know much about BGFit but i do know the sports science institute does ergofit, So im scheduling one of those as they look after all the pro SA cyclists, and they do yearly studies to improve results.

Dont know much about BGFit but i do know the sports science institute does ergofit, So im scheduling one of those as they look after all the pro SA cyclists, and they do yearly studies to improve results.

I'm leaning towards the Ergofit, as they seem pretty clued up. The guy in Durban doing it, is a Physio and works with the Centre for Sports Medicine, and he seems pretty clued up from his credentials. The BG FIT is done by Specialized.

The Sports Science Institute designed the Ergofit and I believe they certify technicians. The Boulder Centre for Sports Medicine designed the BG Fit and certifies technicians. So, unless someone from the SSI is doing the fit, both are giving you a scientifically based fit, done by a trained technician who may not have any scientific or medical background.

Same, same but differant ?

From what I've read, they take quite different approaches, but both are designed by seemingly competent sports scientists with cycling background (though Andy Pruitt may have a slight edge in terms of experience).

Unfortunately, the overall results probably depends more on the individual technician, rather than the fit theory.

Neither place can give me an answer as to why they are better Bike Setup then the other. I guess I will have to do a lot of research and reading tonight.

Neither place can give me an answer as to why they are better Bike Setup then the other. I guess I will have to do a lot of research and reading tonight.

Ergofit is a predictive bike fit calculation reliant on the input of body measurements in to a locally designed, "averages"-based computer program. Everything else about the fit as practiced by their fitters is copied either from Paul Swift of Andy Pruitt. The predictive, averages based fit gives you just that - an average prediction.

BG Fit is a dynamic bike-fitting that uses a comprehensive assessment of rider flexibility, biomechanics and functionality, combined with an assessment of rider needs and wants, and based almost entirely on a dynamic interaction of rider on bike, to arrive at optimal positioning.

Frankly, to compare Pruitt and Swart is laughable.

Ergofit is a predictive bike fit calculation reliant on the input of body measurements in to a locally designed, "averages"-based computer program. Everything else about the fit as practiced by their fitters is copied either from Paul Swift of Andy Pruitt. The predictive, averages based fit gives you just that - an average prediction.

BG Fit is a dynamic bike-fitting that uses a comprehensive assessment of rider flexibility, biomechanics and functionality, combined with an assessment of rider needs and wants, and based almost entirely on a dynamic interaction of rider on bike, to arrive at optimal positioning.

Frankly, to compare Pruitt and Swart is laughable.

I tried do research into this last night, not much info available in terms of comparing them, not knowing who the two people are you mentioned, in your honest opinion, which is a better method?

What? Bg fit charged me 1000?

Eish. I see the guy in Cape Town does it for R550/ bike for the Ergofit, while in Durban thats what I pay for 2 bikes.

I reckon Ergo-Fit is better than BG-Fit and that BG-Fit is better than Ergo-Fit.

Like I said, much of a muchness or same same but different

Archived