Bike Setup - ErgoFIT vs BG FIT vs Bike Shop

Caerus

Did you buy all the above after doing the fit?

They did try sell me a Spez.

I could have been tempted by a Spez! Nah, I had a few new things that I'd been stock piling for the last couple of months but couldn't be bothered to change out. This seemed like as good as time as any to hammer it all in one go and get used to a lot of new things at once.

Bit worried about the sales pitch though. Not to fond of fitment done in bike shops in case I will "need this because of that" etc....

In fact it went the other way. They said I didn't need a couple of things that I said I thought I might. Stoked.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I now need to go for a bike setup for the road bike in Cape Town - Who to see and where to go?

I think you mentioned looking for a retul fit in CT

We do a retul fit and are fully certified by retul.

Takes 2:00

PM if still interested

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Ergo Fit done on both my bikes and felt no difference. Maybe this was because no adjustments were done? I have now had a BG fit and what a remarkable difference it has made.

Had three bikes done and have done long rides on both my MTB and road bike. No pains anywhere, no pins and needles and more efficient – shaved 10 mins off my best commute time.

Done very professionally according to your riding requirements, style and habits. Plenty measurements and angles taken and put down in a readable format for later use. Even foot/cleat angles were measured. What amazed me was the difference attention to detail can make in a fit. It is not a quick fix thing but definitely worth it IMHO.

Anybody else experienced the difference?

(And they did not try and sell me anything.)

I had an Ergo Fit done and it made a huge difference. Couple of changes to the bike, i.e. seat height, setback, stem height, etc. Had feet angles measured and got wedges for both feet (inside the shoe and between the cleat and sole). The changes have had a major impact on my cycling - no more feet numbness, no back pain, pins, etc. I think at the end of the day, all setups have merit, but it is the skill and level of experience of the person doing the fit that counts most!

but it is the skill and level of experience of the person doing the fit that counts most!

Agreed. It is up to the person doing the fit.

Have had both fits done on all my bikes and the BG fit has made the most difference. Attention to detail done by the Bg fitter made the difference. He even picked up physiological problems I had without me telling him. Ergo fit was in and out - Next please!

All our bikes here at home were setup using an online bike fit calculator which includes video tutorials, takes about 15-20min per rider and gives you a pretty good idea of how to setup you bike. It's probably not as accurate as a professionally done setup but hey, it costs R0.00 and worked well for the whole family.

Check out the link; http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#type

• 1 month later...

Can you give us some feedback Caerus ?

how is the bike fit going ? feel any difference ?

I need to go for a bike fit soonish and also need to decide which way to go.

My last fit was about 5 years ago (with Dr Swart), and I have changed my shoes and cleats since then. So want to go get it re-done, but cannot decide which way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us some feedback Caerus ?

how is the bike fit going ? feel any difference ?

I need to go for a bike fit soonish and also need to decide which way to go.

My last fit was about 5 years ago (with Dr Swart), and I have changed my shoes and cleats since then. So want to go get it re-done, but cannot decide which way to go.

I'll fill you in this evening :thumbup: , sorry I only saw this now.

As much as I think there are many good bike fitment places out there, the way they all try "upgrade" (make sales on) just about every component on your bike is a little tiresome...As if spending R3,000 on 1cm of additional handlebar width is going to turn anyone into a grand tour winner?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaning towards the Ergofit, as they seem pretty clued up. The guy in Durban doing it, is a Physio and works with the Centre for Sports Medicine, and he seems pretty clued up from his credentials. The BG FIT is done by Specialized.

Caerus - however are you?

When you coming on home and planning the fitment?

My two cents - have ahd a mate do the BG fit test with Duane at Concept and said he was amazed at just how professional and technical it all was, got a detailed report after with all measurements etc too.

So setting up your second bike the same should be easy enough to do yourself?

Then again I see what you mean about wanting to take two bikes in at the same time and having to pay full price for the second bike again - seems a bit much to say the least!

• 11 months later...

Hi There,

I have had my bike set up with the Ergo-Fit fitment, and it worked wonders for my comfort and performance.  I now sit at the point where my bikes were lasts set up more than a year ago, and in dire need of re setting.  My issue is the man who did my set up, no longer practices.  I now desperately need to find an agent for Ergo-fit in cape town to set both my Road and MTB up again.

Can anyone assist as Google has not helped much?

Tanks

Archived