Bike Setup - ErgoFIT vs BG FIT vs Bike Shop

Caerus

Ergofit is a predictive bike fit calculation reliant on the input of body measurements in to a locally designed, "averages"-based computer program. Everything else about the fit as practiced by their fitters is copied either from Paul Swift of Andy Pruitt. The predictive, averages based fit gives you just that - an average prediction.

BG Fit is a dynamic bike-fitting that uses a comprehensive assessment of rider flexibility, biomechanics and functionality, combined with an assessment of rider needs and wants, and based almost entirely on a dynamic interaction of rider on bike, to arrive at optimal positioning.

Frankly, to compare Pruitt and Swart is laughable.

A very cheap potshot taken from an anonymous position. Perhaps you should be more open and disclose who you are and your motives.

For the record:

ErgoFiT is a 2 step process. The first is a predictive report based on 8 years worth of data on over 3000 individuals and an advance regression analysis of key variables that affect fit (not averages).These include age, sex, training history, training volume, flexibility and the standard static measurements.

There is no other system anywhere in the World that is even close to ErgoFiT's accuracy in predicting fit.

BG fit does not have a predictive component.

The second step to ErgoFiT (dynamic component) is similar to BG Fit. However, where BG fit relies on subjective interpretation and the experience and expertise of the fitter, ErgoFiT removes subjectivity and uses defined reference ranges. The ErgoFiT includes foot alignment and varus / valgus correction. It also incorporates a key variable that BG fit ignores - Hip angle. ErgoFiT allows for accurate fitting which largely removes the experience level of the fitter, allowing stores to provide a superior fitting without necessarily going through a complex learning process.

In addition, ErgoFiT uses training volume and history to determine saddle setback, rather than the widely used plumbline method which would result in the same setback position for a "newbie" or an elite professional of 20yrs (providing stature and femur length are the same). A method that has absolutely no scientific merit whatsoever.

Dr Pruitt has massive experience and has had the privelage of working with many of the top teams and athletes (largely through his alignment with Specialized). However, Dr Pruitt is a podiatrist by training, and not an exercise physiologist, sports scientist or medical doctor.

Likewise, we have had the privelage of working with and continue to work with many of the World's best cyclists.

For a more objective review of the scientific credibility of Dr Pruitt or myself, head over to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ or www.google.com/scholar and do a search on either of us ("Andrew Pruitt" or "Jeroen Swart"). Peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts = 1 (Pruitt) vs 18 (Swart) at last count.

Thanks once again for your input "Fitter".

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an update, I finally got to go and have my fitting on Tuesday afternoon this week, the actual fitment & consultation lasted two hours( I had two bikes done)

There were some major changes in my main bike(Trance), seat post dropped as well as dropping my stem by 15mm and flipping it over, it has made the world of difference. He seems to think I may need to change to a longer stem as well. I need to get used the changes made so far, then I will go back and look at going from a 90mm to a 100mm stem

Not only do I feel way more comfortable on the bike now, the small pains and niggles I was getting seem to have gone too. The biggest improvement I felt was in my technical ability, with my weight in the correct place I felt that I could take on anything, and found cornering a breeze(always felt sketchy)

In fact, my first ride yesterday was one of the most awesome rides I've had in ages, the bike was feeling so much more responsive.

I would whole heartedly recommend going for a proper bike fitment, the R550 I spent on getting set-up for both bikes is money very well spent, one of the best things I've spent money on in cycling so far.

Gareth does a great job.

Yah Renay had me on the torture rack trying to determine my flexibility ;) and its only torture cause im not flexible at all. All in all very happy with the setup. Still need to see what diff a longer stem is going to make, but so far feels like i have a lot more power in my pedalstroke and my balance definitly feels better.

Gareth does a great job.

Doc you have to realize this is the hub, where everysingle person is a fully fledged proffesional athlete, as well as professional bike mechanic, medical doctor, sports scientist, laywer, and doping expert.

:oops:

Doc you have to realize this is the hub, where everysingle person is a fully fledged proffesional athlete, as well as professional bike mechanic, medical doctor, sports scientist, laywer, and doping expert.

Yes and hub advice is the same as phone sex, some grommet on the other end of the line making your day.

Too true.

Caerus, which did you opt for in the end?!

To my knowledge, I have no BG Fit option in the Cape, but loved what Jeroen did with his setup on first my road and later my mtb. Been getting some new twinges of late and was wondering whether I did not screw up somewhere (despite measuring verrrrry carefully!) on a saddle change or something and might have to go for another check-up of setup.

There is a BG fit option at trail and tar Tokai

Had one done a few weeks ago I have had a few bike fits including ergo fit but found that the fitter experience is where the real difference is .

The BG fit fitters need 20 fits that are individually critted

The ergo fit I had was a measurement and then changes to the bike setup but no test ride or anything not even on a spinner

The BG fit came down to pedal action and foot position the whole tooty

I ended up getting a shim put in my shoe to prevent my knee collapsing

The whole process took about 2 hrs for the first bike but about 45 mins for the road bike

They also want feedback after a few rides

First bike r500 second bike r 250 no charge for tweaks

There was quite a bike difference in the saddle height between ergo fit and BG fit

But to be fair I put it down to the individual technicians

The result for me was lower cog more bike control much looser in the shoulders and had to soften the front suspension pressure to use full travel

Would really recommend them

I've had the ErgoFit in Cape Town. I've always done the measuring and fitting myself and having worked as a professional mechanic in the UK and EU thought I knew most things.

Glad I swallowed my pride and just did it. Very impressed with the level of analysis and fitting. Also they gave me all the measurements so I could set up my new bike when I got it a year later. Really made a difference to my ride. My seat measurements were spot on but the bars and shoes / shims what i was running was quite out.

Seriously, R550 odd is nothing really when you look at the amount of time you have out of the consultation vs time in the saddle and the benefit.

Hell, you can't even get 2 decent carbon bottle cages for that kind of coin and realistically they aren't going to do dick for your condition, fitness and performance across a season.

Just an update, I finally got to go and have my fitting on Tuesday afternoon this week, the actual fitment & consultation lasted two hours( I had two bikes done)

There were some major changes in my main bike(Trance), seat post dropped as well as dropping my stem by 15mm and flipping it over, it has made the world of difference. He seems to think I may need to change to a longer stem as well. I need to get used the changes made so far, then I will go back and look at going from a 90mm to a 100mm stem

Not only do I feel way more comfortable on the bike now, the small pains and niggles I was getting seem to have gone too. The biggest improvement I felt was in my technical ability, with my weight in the correct place I felt that I could take on anything, and found cornering a breeze(always felt sketchy)

In fact, my first ride yesterday was one of the most awesome rides I've had in ages, the bike was feeling so much more responsive.

I would whole heartedly recommend going for a proper bike fitment, the R550 I spent on getting set-up for both bikes is money very well spent, one of the best things I've spent money on in cycling so far.

Caerus, care to impart with the contact details of who did your fit presuming it was done in Durban? Would appreciate it greatly.

A very cheap potshot taken from an anonymous position. Perhaps you should be more open and disclose who you are and your motives.

For the record:

ErgoFiT is a 2 step process. The first is a predictive report based on 8 years worth of data on over 3000 individuals and an advance regression analysis of key variables that affect fit (not averages).These include age, sex, training history, training volume, flexibility and the standard static measurements.

There is no other system anywhere in the World that is even close to ErgoFiT's accuracy in predicting fit.

BG fit does not have a predictive component.

The second step to ErgoFiT (dynamic component) is similar to BG Fit. However, where BG fit relies on subjective interpretation and the experience and expertise of the fitter, ErgoFiT removes subjectivity and uses defined reference ranges. The ErgoFiT includes foot alignment and varus / valgus correction. It also incorporates a key variable that BG fit ignores - Hip angle. ErgoFiT allows for accurate fitting which largely removes the experience level of the fitter, allowing stores to provide a superior fitting without necessarily going through a complex learning process.

In addition, ErgoFiT uses training volume and history to determine saddle setback, rather than the widely used plumbline method which would result in the same setback position for a "newbie" or an elite professional of 20yrs (providing stature and femur length are the same). A method that has absolutely no scientific merit whatsoever.

Dr Pruitt has massive experience and has had the privelage of working with many of the top teams and athletes (largely through his alignment with Specialized). However, Dr Pruitt is a podiatrist by training, and not an exercise physiologist, sports scientist or medical doctor.

Likewise, we have had the privelage of working with and continue to work with many of the World's best cyclists.

For a more objective review of the scientific credibility of Dr Pruitt or myself, head over to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ or www.google.com/scholar and do a search on either of us ("Andrew Pruitt" or "Jeroen Swart"). Peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts = 1 (Pruitt) vs 18 (Swart) at last count.

Thanks once again for your input "Fitter".

Doc, having done an ergofit at two places, I was nowhere near to understanding what size MTB I should be riding.

I currently ride a medium Giant Anthem Team (26 inch) and went to my LBS for a measurement. I was told that I should be riding a large (yes, they had one at the time). I then went to the Sports Science Institute and was told that my bike size is correct... It appears I'm on the border of M/L but to quote the LBS, "you're def a large, might even be x-large"....

Is one able to look at the measurements, check the bike's geometry and then say whether you're best suited for a particular size?

Actionman, that's interesting. I had an Ergofit last week, got all my measurements in a nice little pdf the next day. This is great, because(in theory) I can now go out and buy a new bike while looking for specific geometry. Email/Call the people that did your Ergofit - they will have your measurements on record and should be able to forward it to you.

Your LBS basically eyeballs you and gives you their opinion vs the Ergofit measuring you and your bike, followed by adjusting everything thereafter. Which do you think makes more sense?

Caerus, care to impart with the contact details of who did your fit presuming it was done in Durban? Would appreciate it greatly.

It was with Gareth Harrington, 031-764 2918. Thats the office no

Doc, having done an ergofit at two places, I was nowhere near to understanding what size MTB I should be riding.

I currently ride a medium Giant Anthem Team (26 inch) and went to my LBS for a measurement. I was told that I should be riding a large (yes, they had one at the time). I then went to the Sports Science Institute and was told that my bike size is correct... It appears I'm on the border of M/L but to quote the LBS, "you're def a large, might even be x-large"....

Is one able to look at the measurements, check the bike's geometry and then say whether you're best suited for a particular size?

The measurement question is very valid about correct bike size choice.

I would love to be able to try out the BG fit and see what the differences are like with my setups compared to what ErgoFIT did.

Actionman, that's interesting. I had an Ergofit last week, got all my measurements in a nice little pdf the next day. This is great, because(in theory) I can now go out and buy a new bike while looking for specific geometry. Email/Call the people that did your Ergofit - they will have your measurements on record and should be able to forward it to you.

Your LBS basically eyeballs you and gives you their opinion vs the Ergofit measuring you and your bike, followed by adjusting everything thereafter. Which do you think makes more sense?

I still have not received mine yet, even after asking.

Archived