Tyre popping off rim with one hell of a bang!!

Terence Hope

Hi guys, please help. Was busy tonight servicing wheels on my 29er, long story short, when inflating the rear tyre to re-seat it, I got it up to 4 bar (normal for seating) and the tyre literally exploded off the rim. now my question, does anybody know why this would happen? The tyre is rated to 5.5 bar so it could not have been over inflated, could it be that the tyre is a bit old? Came with my rims so no idea how old it is, still got plenty tread though, its a small block eight.

Is this a proper ust tubeless tyre you are using? Maybe it got a bit stretched from taking off and putting it back on, it's possible that you broke the bead?

It is not uncommon for a non UST tyre to pop off a non UST rim. A proper UST tyre will fit perfectly into the rim's UST bead, however the same cannot be said of non UST/tubeless ready equipment. You have two choices, either be careful when seating your tyre, and ride with the fear that the tyre can pop off at any time, or get yourself the real deal with proper UST beading that will give you peace of mind.

Happened to me once in my bedroom....hahahaha EVERYTHING was covered in stans. Same thing also tried to seat the tyre, in my case it was the rims, I always struggled to seat my tyres until I got Stans rims (ZTR olympic and now Crest) and my problem was over. Its so easy to seat tyres on stans rims, I will never use anything else, its to frustrating struggling to get your tyres seated!

Have had it happen with a proper Kenda UST tire on a proper tubeless rim....pumped it up quite hard after topping up with Stans...left it in the back of my bakkie in the sun under a black tonneau cover...pressure + heat = BOOOOOMMMM!!!!! After that the beading was ruined and I had to chuck the tire away.

Replaced it with a non UST WTB Exiwolf on the same Tubeless rim....Following a recent mishap with a tire burping landing on the flats after a jump causing a serious wipe-out I think I'm going to be running proper UST exclusively going forward. Though I may have been riding them a bit too pap.....my fault I guess.

HI All, it is a proper UST setup, it was a Kenda small block eight UST tyre and ZTR crest rim. Thanks for the feedback, only thing I can think of is the tyre is old. And yes, I had just put 130ml sealant in the tyre, it was a proper mess!!!

Had the same happen to me at the garage once. Velocity Blunt rim with a Kenda Nevegal, neither of which were UST. Stans all over the forecourt and a dinged rim that was brand new.

Walked back into the bike shop rather embarrassed.

You do need to include the pic of your leg to further enforce your statement!

Have had it happen with a proper Kenda UST tire on a proper tubeless rim....pumped it up quite hard after topping up with Stans...left it in the back of my bakkie in the sun under a black tonneau cover...pressure + heat = BOOOOOMMMM!!!!! After that the beading was ruined and I had to chuck the tire away.

Replaced it with a non UST WTB Exiwolf on the same Tubeless rim....Following a recent mishap with a tire burping landing on the flats after a jump causing a serious wipe-out I think I'm going to be running proper UST exclusively going forward. Though I may have been riding them a bit too pap.....my fault I guess.

Happened to me once and it turned out to be a very small dent in the rim (almost invisible) and that was the weakest point of the seal......dont think I need to explain any further!

You do need to include the pic of your leg to further enforce your statement!

OK I wasn't going to post this on the hub as I'm not proud of it and it certainly isn't something to brag about or show off but if enough people feel seeing a picture of the price of running your tires too flat I'll put it up...who is in?

interesting - had exactly the same happen with a specialized 2bliss on ztr crest 29er rim. The only thing that could have explained it was that I'd messed some stans on the beading before inflating the tire. I cleaned the tire and rim before inflating again and it was fine and never had the problem since.

interesting - had exactly the same happen with a specialized 2bliss on ztr crest 29er rim. The only thing that could have explained it was that I'd messed some stans on the beading before inflating the tire. I cleaned the tire and rim before inflating again and it was fine and never had the problem since.

One would think that the stans would not make a difference here