Is it a good idea to remove disc rotors before packing bike in box?

I FLY

We are going to fly to Knysna next month with our bikes in cardboard bike boxes. Last month my front rotor got bent when we flew to Namibia with our bikes in similiar boxes.

So I was wondering whether it was a good idea to remove the rotors beforehand and what are the precautions I must take when refitting them.

If you had the problem last time then ja, may as well remove them! I think you just need to add a drop of loctite to the threads when refitting?

We are going to fly to Knysna next month with our bikes in cardboard bike boxes. Last month my front rotor got bent when we flew to Namibia with our bikes in similiar boxes.

So I was wondering whether it was a good idea to remove the rotors beforehand and what are the precautions I must take when refitting them.

Are you sure they weren't bent before the flight?They take some pressure to bend.

Leave then on or get some of the plastic specers from a bike shop.You could have some problems if someone pulls your brake levers and nothing is there for them to grip.

1. Rotors were running true before I left.

2. I use those plastic spacers as I remove both wheels anyway

3. I thought I might have to mark the holes so I refit in exactly the same way

Happened to me - bent rotors that is, on a long haul flight. But managed to straighten it enough to ride at my destination using a balustrade. But my mistake was to pack the wheels with the discs facing outwards.

Also pack in lots of bubble wrap between the frame and wheels and box / case just to cushion things and hold them in place.

Other unsolicited advice:

- Don't try fly with ur C02 bombs, they get a bit upset if they find them.

- Don't take your multi tool as hand luggage it wont get through

- Do buy some excess baggage allowance in advance, its cheaper and less hassle.

Happened to me - bent rotors that is, on a long haul flight. But managed to straighten it enough to ride at my destination using a balustrade. But my mistake was to pack the wheels with the discs facing outwards. Guilty

Also pack in lots of bubble wrap between the frame and wheels and box / case just to cushion things and hold them in place. Did this

Other unsolicited advice:

- Don't try fly with ur C02 bombs, they get a bit upset if they find them. Always buy these at destination

- Don't take your multi tool as hand luggage it wont get through . Camelback goes in box with bike

- Do buy some excess baggage allowance in advance, its cheaper and less hassle. Learnt this lesson the hard way

Just remember if you are going to take the discs off, when refitting you must alternate tightening the bolts across the disc, not sequentially. And dont over tighten, perhaps take a small torque wrench if you are not sure about this. Also some use Loctite on the bolts.