A little help to get up hills!

Lori

ok, this is the site where everyone knows everything about cycling.

I have a road bike, nothing fancy, I ride cos I enjoy it. I made a few changes before 94.7 (new saddle and handlebars) and the bike was COMFY! BUT - a friend, also with a raleigh RC1000 kicked my ass up the hills, and she is quite a bit larger than me. Why did she go faster than me - she had 3 rings on the front crank thing (excuse my techincal terminology) and i only have 2. She had 7 easier gears than me! Now - I want that on my bike too!

What do I do to make easier gears, whats the cheapest way for me to go here? Do i get a smaller crank and loose the heavier gears since I dont win races on the straight anyways. Or do i get more gears at the back (think thats a casette?) but them if i do that do i need new shifters? Or can I get a 3 ringed crank like my mate - but then again, do I need new shifters.

So all you bicycle fanatsics. please help me with the best and cheapest way to go about this and if you have the parts please let me know.

Thanks.....

put in big ring up front,start as hard as you can and when you start feeling like you want to puke,hope you are near the end.i would suggest that training should be the priority

i am going to be quite blunt, how much do you weigh?(if you lady no need to answer)

climbing is all down to power vs weight,

if everyone else goes balls to the wall at the bottom of a climb don't do it as well, get into your own pace/rythem and soon you will notice you will pace them half way up...

I lost 7kg this year and my hill climbing has improved 10 fold.

Going back to your gear question. To change to a triple chain ring (3 up front) will cost more than you paid for the bike as you will have to change shifters as well.

Your best and cheapest bet would be to change your cassette at the back for one that has bigger cogs. I'm not sure what you currently have in terms of ratios, but bigger ones are available and will cost about R500 for an 8sp Sora cassette and chain.

Then again, maybe you just need some good old fashion training in your legs.

She had 7 easier gears than me! Now - I want that on my bike too!

What do I do to make easier gears, whats the cheapest way for me to go here? Do i get a smaller crank and loose the heavier gears since I dont win races on the straight anyways. Or do i get more gears at the back (think thats a casette?) but them if i do that do i need new shifters? Or can I get a 3 ringed crank like my mate - but then again, do I need new shifters.

Options in order of easiest to hardest (well kind of of...) also depends what type of gearing and parts you currently have.

1. Change the casette at the back to one with more teeth / larger "sprockets", no new shifters required, maybe a longer chain.

2. Change the front small chain ring to a 39 Tooth (if you dont have one already its probably a 42), no other new parts required.

3. Fit a compact crank set, gets complicated discuss with your local bike shop.

3. Fit a triple chain ring, gets complicated discuss with LBS

I heard from someone it is possible to change to MTB ratio at the back, it will only cost you the cassette & derailer and a chain, but as someone once mentioned on the forum "climb, climb and climb some more"

What chainring is in front? If the big one is a 53 tooth then its a standard chainring. Your cheapest option is training and more training which leads to weight loss which betters your power to weight ratio as mentioned by previous hubbers. 2nd option is the cassette with bigger gears and 3rd is a compact chainring which has 50 teeth in front. Consult your LBS ( local bike shop) for option 2&3.

Lori, how long have you been riding road? (and how much do you ride??)

I got an 8 speed double (front chainring/ crank) 2 years ago and still find hills a challenge but have got SO much stronger. And am getting faster. Just stick to it and ride hills more often. Do a little more than what you feel is comfortable. They don't have to be long but try to do a few hilly rides, at least once a week. I wouldn't swop out for a triple chain ring (on the crank) cos you need to get stronger to get faster... that's why you ride road!! Try doing one long ride a week (+-2hrs) one fast ride and one hills... and keep it 'honest', don't coast the easy bits.

Also, make sure you are using your gears so that you spin faster more comfortably...

Hope I'm not telling you what you know already. Seriously, stick to it. Unless you have bad knees or something it's so worth it! This way you'll kick your friend's butt next 94.7 :-)

Options in order of easiest to hardest (well kind of of...) also depends what type of gearing and parts you currently have.

1. Change the casette at the back to one with more teeth / larger "sprockets", no new shifters required, maybe a longer chain.

2. Change the front small chain ring to a 39 Tooth (if you dont have one already its probably a 42), no other new parts required.

3. Fit a compact crank set, gets complicated discuss with your local bike shop.

3. Fit a triple chain ring, gets complicated discuss with LBS

+1

cool! thats for all the advice!

How much do i weigh - more than I'd like to!

How much do i ride - not as much as i should, its just a hobby really, im not a riding fanatic, but I do enjoy it

I'll look into the bigger casette at the back - and then take the most prominent advice of "train, rtain, train" oh, and loose some weight. I'm sure it will be easier hauling my ass up a hill if i was hauling 10kg less :)

Thanks for the help!!!

I'm sure it will be easier hauling my ass up a hill if i was hauling 10kg less :)

oh yes, and don't worry, you are not alone!

Hey Lori,

Dont think your crankset is the problem - sounds more like a Power to Weight ratio problem.

Here are some options:

1. Build more power - do high rep - 15/25 - Squat/Lunge ect

2. Run/pwer walk uphills repeats - 30m hill X 8 repeats - take your dog with and make it an outing - make sure you feel it!

3. Plyometrics - Burpies/box jumps - explosive excersizes

4. Running will help with everything - just start slow and prevent injury.

5. If you have a gym membership - spin/joga/core

You can do most of these at home and wont take too much time - just do something 3 - 5 time per week and you will see the impovements.

The weight will come off by itself - sowly but surely.

Enjoy!