How difficult is it to build up your own bike?

walkerr

No tricks, just a simple question.

Reason being, pretty much all of the Ti frames I'm interested in (Lynksey Sportive excepted) don't seem to have SA shops or agents. So I figured it'll be cheaper to bring in just a frame or frame & fork set than a whole bike, and also a "fun" project to build the bike up myself

I've got used to doing a few minor maintenance steps myself, but nothing more complicated than tweaking my derailleur hi/lo screws or swapping the cassette over to a different wheelset. Never assembled/disassembled a BB or headset, wrapped a handlebar, or cabled up brakes and gears. But how hard can those steps be?

I've no rush, this is a long term project so I have plenty of time to learn and enjoy the process as I go.

I'm also aware it almost certainly won't end up cheaper, because of the need to acquire speclal tools, and not get the groupset discounts you get on a complete bike. Against that though, I'll end up with the exact spec I want, and may get lucky with discounts on some components along the way.

Tips and advice greatly appreciated, especially any must have tools, and must do/must avoid holes that beginners can fall into e.g. small but essential bits that you don't realise you need until half way through.

Edit: I should also add, mad as this may be, I'd also kinda like to build up my own wheelset - just to learn how it's done!

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to start with something cheap so that those little oopsies(Especially if you're working with carbon) don't cost so much. Other than that google has all the advice you need and more. Tools also end up costing a bit and it really does take a couple of trips to the bike shop for those stupid little bolts/nuts/spacers.

It is loads of fun though.

Cheers

Cool, thanks.

Forks aside, I'll mostly be working in Ti rather than carbon. Good tip though - will stay away from working with the expensive bits until I get some skills!

Glad to hear it's fun - that's really my motivation here!

- Rob

I have disassembled and reassembled bikes before and it is not difficult. I have a set of allen keys and a BB (external BB) wrench. That is all u need for the basic stuff. For the more complicated stuff like wheel building... I take it to the LBS to do

U may need a torque wrench to do a proper job

Cheers Kaka - BB wrench was on list for sure, I have couple of torque wrenches but not bike specific ones. Will have to see if bike ones offer me much in size/convenience/fit.

The wheel building thing is more to see if I can do it and what's involved. Have a good rap with my LBS (Helderberg Cycles) and their price per wheel seemed quite reasonable too, so I know I can always fallback to that as a good option if I bottle out

Rob it's a lot easier than you think and you don't actually need a lot of tools.

Since you have time you can take a little longer to build the bike, which means you have time to research your every move.

I don't often build bikes but when I have to I do and I normally get it done in a hour, then it just needs to be tweaked to the way I want it.

(I'm referring to road bike, MTB I have no clue but imagine it can't be much harder)

You can also get awesome deals on the hub so the bike doesn't have to cost you way more than if you bought it complete.

Do it!

I will be honest, there will be a few oopsies along the way. But in my experience the cost of those has been less than the cost of a service at a bike shop. The tools also are an added expense, but its one that you only incur once, then you have them for life. So in the long run I think its cheaper. Getting the exact spec you want is one of the reasons I started too.

As far as tools go (I know some people will disagree with me here) I got one of those cheap tool kits for about R500 that has pretty much everything in it. They are not the best quality, but it will get you a long way. Half the things in there I didnt even know what they were for until I needed it. After that the only thing I had to buy was a BB tool. As the tools break or wear out I will replace them with good quality stuff, but so far that hasn't happened.

I have never built wheels, and I have been told that the equipment is too expensive to make it worth while unless you are going to do it a lot, which the average person doesn't.

Other benefits:

Confidence in fixing anything that goes wrong on your bike.

Better understanding of the bike, especially when you "hear a funny noise" that needs to be seen to

Peace of mind knowing that after a service knowing everything is perfect, just the way you want it. I've seen people on stage races pay a fortune for a service after a day only to get their bike back with gears not set up properly and no idea how to fix this.

Dude, it is not rocket science. It is actually easier than what you believe.

I took my road bike (see spec in my signature), to my 'LBS' Williams Bike Shop in S/West and he allowed me to build it up there. I used all his tools and got advice when I needed it.

Having the tools at home is an added bonus - something I need to start building on.

btw my bike cost me around R15K - valued at R30K. I got the frameset for very cheap and the only 2nd hand parts are the pedals, wheels and saddle. Everything else was new.

Go for it - you learn and it will assist you in future repairs :thumbup:

Edited by Tiny K

Rob it's a lot easier than you think and you don't actually need a lot of tools.

(I'm referring to road bike, MTB I have no clue but imagine it can't be much harder)

You can also get awesome deals on the hub so the bike doesn't have to cost you way more than if you bought it complete.

Cheers Cyclewizz - it will be a roadie, maybe I'll tinker with my MTB more if this turns out well. Already keeping an eye out for hub deals :)

Do it!

Other benefits:

Confidence in fixing anything that goes wrong on your bike.

Better understanding of the bike, especially when you "hear a funny noise" that needs to be seen to

Cheers Robrider - those 2 points are a large part of my motivation. I'm keen to "know" this bike a lot more thoroughly than my past machines ... "past" of course meaning less often ridden bikes still in my garage, just to confirm I'm not breaking the n+1 rule

Edited by walkerr

I took my road bike (see spec in my signature), to my 'LBS' Williams Bike Shop in S/West and he allowed me to build it up there. I used all his tools and got advice when I needed it.

Go for it - you learn and it will assist you in future repairs :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement K, and good to know about William's - they're almost close enough to freewheel too from my house, assuming I've at least got some wheels working! I did actually call them a week or so back about VN Ti frames, but not heard back. Must swing by there.

So when you starting your build ?

I'm also sure that if you get stuck you just have to post your question on the hub and you'll get plenty of advise.

Just Do It !!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement K, and good to know about William's - they're almost close enough to freewheel too from my house, assuming I've at least got some wheels working! I did actually call them a week or so back about VN Ti frames, but not heard back. Must swing by there.

Yeah, I know William is very busy in the AM normally as he is the only guy there, and then Brad comes in to assist in the PM. I would agree, make a turn past there. Some real eye candy there! (even from a roadie point of view) :drool:

Edit: Just a bit of background:

William is a keen MTB'er - doing the epic this year on a SS (single speed) I think he's a crazy dude!

Brad is a MTB'er / Triathlon guy - just did his first ever 70.3 and won his category: 18 - 24

Edited by Tiny K

So when you starting your build ?

Would like to start in next few months after the Argus, but could be sooner or later depending on availability and bargains on frame choice. I'm pretty much down to a shortlist of a Burls, Van Nic, Lynksey, or Sabbath. With luck I might be able to ride a couple of these if I can wangle a work trip to the UK. If not though I'll go for best price/service based on emails and calls - though all have a very good rep from their riders, so I'm not overly concerned on any of them in terms of quality or spec.

Groupset I'm flip flopping - heart is saying Campag Chorus, head is saying SRAM Rival or Force, or Ultegra. I like SRAM, but the Ultegra appeals because I reckon the current Ultegra Di2 available will end up in bargain sales in a year or two when the update the line, and I can maybe then pick up a bargain on the extra parts needed for an upgrade to sweet and smooth electric shifting. That's not a major factor though, a good deal on any of these will sway me!

Should add the bigger part about leaning towards Ultegra is the availability of a triple crank. I'm 47 now and even though my 100km times are now nudging down into sub-4s, I'm not expecting or worrying about getting that much quicker, it's more about having fun and looking towards longer distance touring/audaxing. So I reckon the extra gears and smaller gaps will be more and more appreciated down the years.

Sorry but now I'm going to disagree with you.

There's only ONE option - CAMPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go compact if you must even though at 47 you still at the prime, if you were 87 then I'd understand.

Every now and then I ride with a 63yr old and he's got a normal crank and his cassette must be a 11-23 but could be a 11-21, you must see this man climb.

So there's no excuse for a 47yr old man :D :D