Argus on a tandem

GLuvsMtb

I've gone out today and bought a second hand tandem for me and my wife. We are thinking of asking for a substitution of our "normal" entries for a tandem entry.

Does anyone know what time the tandems are due to start. Its no use asking for a tandem seeding if that is going to be a later start than what our current seeding would be (last year we started around 8am).

the tandems dont have an official bunch like the 94.7. you start where you are seeded. it is very difficult starting with the single bikes in the shutes...good luck

Tandems are seeded with the rest and the remaining starts in a social tandem bunch just before the unseeded bunches.

Before you go make sure you know a good divorce lawyer ! :devil:

............... or make sure you are able to handle the hunnymoon!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :w00t: :w00t:

just came from a ride to chappies this morning, and every single tandem i've seen, one thing stood out: just how sad the rear rider looks. I dont think I have the mental make up for a tandem, so props to those who make it work for them.

Thanks for the replies. We had a blast today! Paarl was hot but I didn't have to worry about having to push my wife up the climbs or having to talk her through road crossings or passing other cyclists. We are learning as we go along, but our time (1h35) for the short route was probably 45 minutes faster than what it would have been if she was riding her own bike with me pushing her along. I suppose we will end up in my wife's start group and make a day of it.

Edited by MorewoodMad

Thanks for the replies. We had a blast today! Paarl was hot but I didn't have to worry about having to push my wife up the climbs or having to talk her through road crossings or passing other cyclists. We are learning as we go along, but our time (1h35) for the short route was probably 45 minutes faster than what it would have been if she was riding her own bike with me pushing her along. I suppose we will end up in my wife's start group and make a day of it.

Red Cannondale? Beware next time the Laaitie & me might chase you on our old Peugeot! And yes, it was a hot blast out there.

I've gone out today and bought a second hand tandem for me and my wife. We are thinking of asking for a substitution of our "normal" entries for a tandem entry.

Does anyone know what time the tandems are due to start. Its no use asking for a tandem seeding if that is going to be a later start than what our current seeding would be (last year we started around 8am).

Social Tandems start at about 8. Very civilized. (Or have for the last 3 years at least)

If you and your partner click, it's a blast. If not......ooops!

That's great start group to be in, lots of interesting old tandems. Look out for the stunning blue Hansom ;)

Edited by johannrissik

I have been cycling with my wife on the tandem. Never had any "issues".

We have done the Argus last year on tandem - and it was great fun. Today we did the fast one and we done it under 3 hours.

This year I am however aiming for sub 3 argus on my own. My wife had build a lot of fitness by cycling with me on the tandem I feel that she is able to maintain higher speed with me on tandem we did an average of 35km ove 106KM.

The climbs are a bitch though - power to weight :)

So, if you are a tandem starting in another group, say E or F, would it not maybe be better to start with the first social tandem group, and then have all tandems together?

Which would be best, group E or F, or social tandems?