Blame it on the Bunny

ngala24

Interesting, Guess its chocolate nesquik for me then after a ride !

Article in my wifes magazine 'Essentials"

Sorry its a terrible pic but it says

'Cyclists that drank chocolate milk between workouts scored better on fatigue and endurance tests than those who just drank milk or sports drinks, according to a recent study, it because of the combination of carbohydrates and protein refules energy stores and helps muscles recover'

post-2431-0-31070500-1328000131.jpg

I always have a post race chocolate steri stumpi (or two), and always have milo or nesquik as a post ride recovery drink after a hard ride.

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/05/chocolate-milk-the-perfect-sports-drink/

Milk vs. Sports Drinks

Common sports drinks such as Gatorade supply those carbs, as well as fluids and electrolytes lost through sweat. However, more recent research suggests that adding protein to the mix may further hasten recovery. Hence the new wave of drinks such as Endurox R4 that include protein as well as higher doses of carbs.

In the study, nine male cyclists rode until their muscles were depleted of energy, then rested four hours and biked again until exhaustion. During the rest period, the cyclists drank low-fat chocolate milk, Gatorade, or Endurox R4. During a second round of exercise, the cyclists who drank the chocolate milk were able to bike about 50% longer than those who drank Endurox, and about as long as those who drank the Gatorade.

The findings suggest that chocolate milk has an optimal ratio of carbohydrates to protein to help refuel tired muscles, researcher Joel M. Stager, PhD, Indiana University kinesiology professor, tells WebMD.

But the most puzzling result of the study, experts say, was why Endurox — which has the same carb-to-protein ratio as the chocolate milk — fared so poorly. Researcher Jeanne D. Johnston, MA, tells WebMD it may have to do with the different composition of the sugars in the milk. Another theory is that the sugars in the milk may be better absorbed in the gut than those in the Endurox.

Edward F. Coyle, PhD, a researcher on exercise and hydration at the University of Texas, tells WebMD the trial would have been stronger if the researchers had also tested the effect of flavored water or another dummy (placebo) drink.

The study was partly funded by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, an industry group. Coyle says that the study’s reliance on industry funding is not unusual in the world of sports research, as federal funding for such research is hard to come by.

A Cheaper Alternative?

While rapid nutrient replacement may not be important for casual exercisers, it can make a big difference in performance for competitive athletes who work out vigorously once or twice a day, says Roberta Anding, a sports dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

Anding has long recommended chocolate milk for young athletes who come to her practice at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston. For children and teenagers from lower-income families, it doesn’t make sense to spend serious money on sports drinks when they can get milk as part of a subsidized lunch program, she tells WebMD. The only advantage of sports drinks, she notes, is that they never spoil.

Ayoob estimates that more than two-thirds of teenagers should be drinking more milk anyway because they don’t get enough calcium in their diets. He also recommends milk for its vitamin D and potassium content. “For me, this is a no-brainer,” he says.

I'm sure there was an article about this in the Daily News or latest Mens Health yesterday, will have a look when I get home. I always have milk after a ride/ gym anyway.

Edited by Caerus

in the bicyling Mag on sale at the moment there is a whole section on the advantages of dairy, referring to chocolate milk as well. They said you can even use chocolate syrup and mix with milk if Im not mistaken

After an exhaustive and extensive (as well as expensive) study we have come to the conclusion that Milo is the recovery drink of choice for us.

Not does it contain all the goodness you need to replenish whatever needs to be replenished, but it tastes good as well.

It is also significantly cheaper that most of the supplemental potions that can be obtained from pharmaceutical companies wishing to jump onto the gravy train of sports nutrition.

After an exhaustive and extensive (as well as expensive) study we have come to the conclusion that Milo is the recovery drink of choice for us.

Not does it contain all the goodness you need to replenish whatever needs to be replenished, but it tastes good as well.

It is also significantly cheaper that most of the supplemental potions that can be obtained from pharmaceutical companies wishing to jump onto the gravy train of sports nutrition.

this is also my hangover recovery method of choice... actually it just tastes damn good so i use it in as many instances as i can

Seems I'm the only one using Ovaltine... :whistling:

Ovaltine is the bomb, mix it with Horlicks for a awesome Milkshake :drool: