Which will help more - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

Skylark

Chill dude, go read your own posts again.

Anyway, as I said in my first reply, get the shifters.

Sorry man - I thought you were a new poster to the thread , your earlier comment was spot on.

Everyones lost their avatars , avatars made it easy identifying posters.

I don't want XTR for the bling , you are making an assumption.

I am not spending any money on an upgrade.

I am in the predicament where I can choose either an XTR RD or XTR Shifters and nothing else.

It does get on my tits when everyone would like to offer their 5c on life which has no relation to the question asked.

Its like I'll just ignore what you asked and tell the world how I feel about the XTR/XT/SLX debate - awesome and valid points - just say them somewhere else if ya don't mind.

But this is a forum and I ain't gona try control it so just post away people.

If you did read this and it meant something then great.

Note to self : Chill out more!!

:lol:

Smile everyone!!!

:thumbup:

Edited by SkyLark

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skylark - I'd go for the shifters over the RD. Yes, the RD is the more visible item, but IMO the shifters, with their greater adjustability than the XT / SLX shifters, as well as better build quality, together with a fully enclosed RD cable, will trump the SLX shifters and fully enclosed cable with the XTR RD.

Why?

Well, the differences in the shifters are marked. Better bearings. More adjustability. Lighter weight. Better materials. Those make a marked difference in the "feel" of the shifting experience. The RD, however, is slightly different. The only differences it has over the SLX is a toighter spring (better reaction to shift changes) and a lighter weight, thanks to the CNC machines & carbon trying to get the lightest possible part. You don't get any greater adjustability, and, tbh, I think you get a part that will break more readily than the chunkier SLX RD that you have at the moment.

First prize: XTR shifter, fully enclosed cabling system and a stronger spring for the SLX RD, if you can get that.

Second Prize: XTR Shifter & fully enclosed cabling

third prize: All XT with fully enclosed cabling

3 1/2 prize: XTR RD & fully enclosed cabling, SLX Shifter

fourth prize: All SLX with fully enclosed

fifth: XTR shifter with normal cabling & SLX RD

sixth: XTR RD with normal cabling & SLX shifter

Edited by cptmayhem

Skylark - I'd go for the shifters over the RD. Yes, the RD is the more visible item, but IMO the shifters, with their greater adjustability than the XT / SLX shifters, as well as better build quality, together with a fully enclosed RD cable, will trump the SLX shifters and fully enclosed cable with the XTR RD.

Why?

Well, the differences in the shifters are marked. Better bearings. More adjustability. Lighter weight. Better materials. Those make a marked difference in the "feel" of the shifting experience. The RD, however, is slightly different. The only differences it has over the SLX is a toighter spring (better reaction to shift changes) and a lighter weight, thanks to the CNC machines & carbon trying to get the lightest possible part. You don't get any greater adjustability, and, tbh, I think you get a part that will break more readily than the chunkier SLX RD that you have at the moment.

First prize: XTR shifter, fully enclosed cabling system and a stronger spring for the SLX RD, if you can get that.

Second Prize: XTR Shifter & fully enclosed cabling

third prize: All XT with fully enclosed cabling

3 1/2 prize: XTR RD & fully enclosed cabling, SLX Shifter

fourth prize: All SLX with fully enclosed

fifth: XTR shifter with normal cabling & SLX RD

sixth: XTR RD with normal cabling & SLX shifter

Thanks Cptmayhem and all that have had their say on this thread.

I can see XTR shifters is the way to go!!

:thumbup:

Although from what you have said I can see that the RD deffinitely does add to the crispness and speed at which gears snap into place so it is something to consider

Dude, I fully agree. First prize will be XTR throughout, but let's be honest. Who can afford that nowadays, just off the cuff? Not many.

And don't underestimate the difference a good set of cables can make...

My 29er had full XTR groupset.

Stopped riding 29er.

Swopped XTR with SLX.

Rode 29er again.

SLX not crisp enough for my liking.

Swopped to XT.

Happy now, and happiness didn't cost a fortune....

Don't bother with XTR, waste of money if you're only going to 1 but not the other. Rather match RD and shifters, ie both XT or both XTR. If you're on a tight budget get the shifters first, then the RD. The chain is also critical. Don't waste money on a FD. Hells, you can even use an X9 FD with your XT/XTR shifters...

If you're looking for XTR shifters, FD and brakes, call me. I still have new ones and the ones off my 29er

Edited by King_Crispy

If you can forget the XTR and go XT on both, SLX shifters on XTR RD is a waste as is vice versa. you will be happier with both XT and very on happy with an XTR SLX combo, gap is just to big

i agree .both xt or both x9 for that matteror both atx makes sense