Mechanic for Cape Epic

slabs

2010 a friend brooke a wheel. Ran to the end. Got if fixed at some shop. Nothing he could do. They finished. There are lots of guys there. If you are unsure go for the high cost. It might make you sleep better. I very rarely see these guys do anything but strip, clean and re-assemble bikes. Most of them don't even do it properly and end up making a mistake which is normally very costly to the rider. Get it serviced before you start. It is just a 800km ride. How often do you normally get your bike serviced?

Since I started putting in the hours for Epic, I have had my bike serviced 3 times. In addition to this I have also rebuilt the rear hub (replaced the pawls & serviced bearings). When you put it like that ('just a 800km ride') it does tend to put it into perspective. I may be guilty of blowing things out of proportion a bit! I'm gonna go with a good service, including replacing drive train (cassette, chain & BB) and leave it at that.

Shot for the advice. By the by, are you doing Epic or other such this year?

Since I started putting in the hours for Epic, I have had my bike serviced 3 times. In addition to this I have also rebuilt the rear hub (replaced the pawls & serviced bearings). When you put it like that ('just a 800km ride') it does tend to put it into perspective. I may be guilty of blowing things out of proportion a bit! I'm gonna go with a good service, including replacing drive train (cassette, chain & BB) and leave it at that.

Shot for the advice. By the by, are you doing Epic or other such this year?

Yes I am doing the Epic. This is my second. I am also getting the drive train replaced. It is time for it to be done. Also waiting on some new wheels so very excited for them to get done. Slap on some new tyres and it will be ready to go. I ride a 29'r hardtail so one can hope that there is not much to go wrong!! Famous last words hey! I will go over my bike a few days before the race and make sure I am happy. Taking a spare set of hoops in the car but that is just in case something happens. If one breaks on a race day you have to make a plan to the end of that day. Good luck with the lasy few weeks of prep. It is going to be a tough one .

Yes I am doing the Epic. This is my second. I am also getting the drive train replaced. It is time for it to be done. Also waiting on some new wheels so very excited for them to get done. Slap on some new tyres and it will be ready to go. I ride a 29'r hardtail so one can hope that there is not much to go wrong!! Famous last words hey! I will go over my bike a few days before the race and make sure I am happy. Taking a spare set of hoops in the car but that is just in case something happens. If one breaks on a race day you have to make a plan to the end of that day. Good luck with the lasy few weeks of prep. It is going to be a tough one .

I just keep thinking about the heat and 147k's... :(

G-Unit, to answer your question. A guy I met during the 2010 Pioneer, broke a rim during a stage and limped back to the finish. The mechnics sold him a new set (he couldn't buy just one) for R 4000. What can you do? During the race you're at the mercy of the guy who's got what you need.

At the 2011 Epic my partner sheared off his rear derailleur during the Prologue. Our mechanics (who shall remain nameless, but I will never recommend them) were meant to fix the bike overnight before Stage 1. As we rolled to the start my partner's bike didn't feel right, so back to the mechanic to get the bike sorted with seconds to spare before the start. On Day 3 , my partner had a front wheel issue (also meant to have been fixed) on the start line. The group started ,but I didn't see him turn around a go back to the mechanics, so I carried on and only realised about 5km down the track that my partner was missing. We lost over half an hour on that day.

Point is, you can have good luck and have no issues (pre-race service and riding "light" during the race will increase the odds in your favour) or you can have a lot of issues like my partner did.

Mechanics during the Epic will take walk-ins ,so you can take your chances without paying the hefty mechanic's package price.

If you do choose to pay for a mechanic, make sure that in the group, each mechanic is not working on more than 4-5 bikes during the Epic. Get it in writing if you have to. There is not enough time in the day for one mechanic to have 10 bikes to service. Inevitably your bike gets looked at at 3 in the morning when the mechanic is overtired and can't focus anymore. That's when mistakes happen and stuff is overlooked.

If you have space, bring a spare wheelset along to share with your partner. There are Shimano and SRAM tents at the race with spares, but the mechanics are taking stock for their own use ,so some items might not be availble when you need them.

My wife is doing Massage for 4 teams and is sharing space with 2 mechanics who will each take 4 bikes. I can recommend them as package mechanic or as a walk-in mechanics.

As part of the Massage package, my wife is offering each team a large storage box for spares etc. She will have my Nissan Patrol and there is plenty of space to store stuff.

Having your own array of spares with you is often as reassuring as having the mechanic's package.

Edited by kandui

I just keep thinking about the heat and 147k's... :(

You can deal with the heat. There are water points where you can fill up bottles and drink to your heart's content. Take a couple of Rehidrate sachets along for the latter stages.

The 147km sounds worse than it is. Look at it this way. If it was 147km of single track and rutted jeep track we would be out there for 10 hours or more. There will be a lot of open dirt road riding on the long day which I am sure you can deal with. Go to the times from last year and look at stage 5 (Worcester-Oak Valley). That was 147km (or similar) and we had a lot of dirt road.

Go out on the weekend and ride 147km on dirt roads in your area, don't worry about single track. Do it again next week and then you can tell yourself that you can handle 147km.

By the time the 147km stage comes, your body will be acclimatised.

Edited by kandui

G-Unit, to answer your question. A guy I met during the 2010 Pioneer, broke a rim during a stage and limped back to the finish. The mechnics sold him a new set (he couldn't buy just one) for R 4000. What can you do? During the race you're at the mercy of the guy who's got what you need.

At the 2011 Epic my partner sheared off his rear derailleur during the Prologue. Our mechanics (who shall remain nameless, but I will never recommend them) were meant to fix the bike overnight before Stage 1. As we rolled to the start my partner's bike didn't feel right, so back to the mechanic to get the bike sorted with seconds to spare before the start. On Day 3 , my partner had a front wheel issue (also meant to have been fixed) on the start line. The group started ,but I didn't see him turn around a go back to the mechanics, so I carried on and only realised about 5km down the track that my partner was missing. We lost over half an hour on that day.

Point is, you can have good luck and have no issues (pre-race service and riding "light" during the race will increase the odds in your favour) or you can have a lot of issues like my partner did.

Mechanics during the Epic will take walk-ins ,so you can take your chances without paying the hefty mechanic's package price.

If you do choose to pay for a mechanic, make sure that in the group, each mechanic is not working on more than 4-5 bikes during the Epic. Get it in writing if you have to. There is not enough time in the day for one mechanic to have 10 bikes to service. Inevitably your bike gets looked at at 3 in the morning when the mechanic is overtired and can't focus anymore. That's when mistakes happen and stuff is overlooked.

If you have space, bring a spare wheelset along to share with your partner. There are Shimano and SRAM tents at the race with spares, but the mechanics are taking stock for their own use ,so some items might not be availble when you need them.

My wife is doing Massage for 4 teams and is sharing space with 2 mechanics who will each take 4 bikes. I can recommend them as package mechanic or as a walk-in mechanics.

As part of the Massage package, my wife is offering each team a large storage box for spares etc. She will have my Nissan Patrol and there is plenty of space to store stuff.

Having your own array of spares with you is often as reassuring as having the mechanic's package.

I said it before, but I probably owe you and Top Fuel a couple of beers for saving me a packet! I'll take spares such as brake pads (I always take to stage races as no one ever seems to have the old XT pads my Hope brakes use), tires, sealant, hanger bracket, chain and even a spare rear derailleur.

A bit off topic, but how long after Epic do you start riding again? My wife is bugging me to enter a few races after Epic, but i'm not too sure how soon i'll be up for it. I already gave her my Sani entry in lieu of me doing Epic, which I am a little sad about...

The very next race on the calender after the Epic. It is not that "Epic" if you have done the training.

The very next race on the calender after the Epic. It is not that "Epic" if you have done the training.

No rest for the wicked??? :blink:

A bit off topic, but how long after Epic do you start riding again? My wife is bugging me to enter a few races after Epic, but i'm not too sure how soon i'll be up for it. I already gave her my Sani entry in lieu of me doing Epic, which I am a little sad about...

In 2005 I did a race the following weekend - but my legs were very sore and I was mentally jaded

In 2008 I was ill and abandoned the race after day 5. I could not face riding for about 6 months.

After last year's Jhb2C I took two weeks off and then did Magalies Monster with no problems

My experience is the better your Epic the sooner you want to start riding again

Don't forget a spare rear derailleur hanger !

I take a week off, but I will ride again as soon as my mind says my body wants to get on the bike.

I am riding Sani with my wife and she is a fit social rider. I ride at her pace which is great for me. I can help her up the hills and enjoy a mellow event.

We have a deal: Sani and W2W we ride together. No pressure.

Don't forget a spare rear derailleur hanger !

I take a week off, but I will ride again as soon as my mind says my body wants to get on the bike.

I am riding Sani with my wife and she is a fit social rider. I ride at her pace which is great for me. I can help her up the hills and enjoy a mellow event.

We have a deal: Sani and W2W we ride together. No pressure.

Sani + W2W + Epic = you must spend a fortune on entries every year!

An interesting read guys, I too am doing the Epic and being my first, have been debating the hiring of a dedicated mechanic team.

I had no idea that you get walk-ins and would be peeved if I paid that kind of money and some guys got their bikes fixed while I waited or got 2nd hand service....

Sani + W2W + Epic = you must spend a fortune on entries every year!

It's never seems to end. Sani and W2W are rides I do with my wife at her pace and we have a good time together. For 2012 and onwards I am going to hang back on all entries and wait till the last minute to pick up discounted entries or at least pay for my entry closer to the race time. This nonsense of paying for a race 9 months in adavance makes no sense to me ,unless organisers start giving early bird discounts. My Sani entries for 2012 are costing me an extra R 6000 for flights, transfers and 2 B&B nights. No matter how fantastic the experience is , it never ends with the entry fee.